Thinkware U1000 4k / 2k Camera Reminder

You're correct Nigel, i will get this confirmed with Thinkware Korea...
If you didn't change your camera to h265 it's probably worth suggesting they flip the defaults around so it uses h264 just to save some support calls down the line.

If you didn't change your camera to h265 it's probably worth suggesting they flip the defaults around so it uses h264 just to save some support calls down the line.
good idea, can tell you from experience when people can't playback a file due to their computer they assume it's a camera problem, I'd expect there would be plenty that would struggle to playback a 4K H.265 file

good idea, can tell you from experience when people can't playback a file due to their computer they assume it's a camera problem, I'd expect there would be plenty that would struggle to playback a 4K H.265 file
I would think that most people will struggle, maybe having to resort to playing it on their 4K TV if they have one and then having to zoom in by manually moving closer to the screen!

Reverend's advice does assume that there is actually a setup option for the choice of codec, but with only 24 Mb/s bitrate available I think they decided that H264 was inadequate for 4K resolution!

Reverend's advice does assume that there is actually a setup option for the choice of codec, but with only 24 Mb/s bitrate available I think they decided that H264 was inadequate for 4K resolution!
Korean cameras typically run low bitrate, helps them deliver underwhelming results

The power is 100% the same. The rear camera cable will fit if you have a bit of slack in the cable as the connections are the other side of the U1000 camera and the F800/Q800 rear cable has the micro usb connector 180 degrees at the wrong angle so providing you have some slack in the cable you should be able to plug it in but it will come downwards and then have to loop back up to the roof lining. It will look something like this:
(FYI F770 rear cable is perfect for the U1000!!)
View attachment 48628
Thank you!
Ready to buy it now (using paypal credit as a christmas early present :) )
I took pictures of my current set up and I can get some slack at the front but the cable at the rear is quite tight.
7AEF7079-70B1-4F05-A021-16CD9A2EEEF6.jpegC12C2C04-4074-4261-9B61-5EE645361AEC.jpeg

Here's the video codec information for U1000's front and rear cam. Using H.265.

Untitled.png

You can install the H.265 codec free for Windows here

Last edited:
Here's the video codec information for U1000's front and rear cam. Using H.265.

View attachment 48667

You can install the H.265 codec free for Windows here

Hi , thanks for sharing the codec information. How about the bitrate ? I would expect to be on par with BlackVue.

Hi , thanks for sharing the codec information. How about the bitrate ? I would expect to be on par with BlackVue.
At 24 Mb/s it is slightly less than the BlackVue DR900 at 25 Mb/s, and no match for the Viofo A129 Pro at 60 Mb/s!

Ready to pull the trigger on the u1000 , however could someone get a rough estimate of how many day it can cover Parking mode with the new energy save feature on hardwire?
Thinkware doesn’t communicate that much on their Cloud 2.0 beta does it finally allow me to be notified of incidents during parking mode?or live view of the camera?

At 24 Mb/s it is slightly less than the BlackVue DR900 at 25 Mb/s, and no match for the Viofo A129 Pro at 60 Mb/s!
Thanks Nigel, that’s is definitely bit low I would have expected a bit of more in this department. Yes Viofo is definitely the clear winner

Here you go. Front on the left and rear on the right.
Untitled.png

Ready to pull the trigger on the u1000 , however could someone get a rough estimate of how many day it can cover Parking mode with the new energy save feature on hardwire?
Thinkware doesn’t communicate that much on their Cloud 2.0 beta does it finally allow me to be notified of incidents during parking mode?or live view of the camera?

From U1000 detail file
Untitled.png

20190925_174550.jpg
Was testing yesterday with a mobile hotspot and got notifications on my phone while the car was being washed. Can live view now even while parked too.

Last edited:

Viofo has the best image quality.

Was testing yesterday with a mobile hotspot and got notifications on my phone while the car was being washed. Can live view now even while parked too.
Might I suggest that you trim the screenshot to remove your email address....

From U1000 detail file
View attachment 48734

View attachment 48735

Thank you very much for your precious imput. Wondering if the energy saving 2.0 is time lapse based without sound? (Or does it record with buffer as regular parking mode) Seems a way better than current blackvue.
If hardwired I may get same 24days? I usually park my car for 10-14 days sometimes.

excellent , finally Thinkware cloud does offer theses function as my sport car being serviced sometimes iwas told about joy ride.

Wondering if the energy saving 2.0 is time lapse based without sound? (Or does it record with buffer as regular parking mode)
There will be no buffer since the sensor is inactive. The camera wakes up to record something when the radar detects movement.
EDIT: Or, as Nigel suggests, perhaps the camera only wakes to write to the buffer, and only to the card if an impact is detected?

Last edited:
There will be no buffer since the sensor is inactive. The camera wakes up to record something when the radar detects movement.
I think that should be that the camera wakes up to buffer something when the radar detects movement. And then the buffer is written to card if an impact occurs. I would think it will wake up rather late, but haven't seen the result of any testing yet...

Are those power figures for 12V power? A mA figure is meaningless without knowing the voltage, and the battery size seems an odd choice for any voltage.

I think that should be that the camera wakes up to buffer something when the radar detects movement. And then the buffer is written to card if an impact occurs. I would think it will wake up rather late, but haven't seen the result of any testing yet...

Are those power figures for 12V power? A mA figure is meaningless without knowing the voltage, and the battery size seems an odd choice for any voltage.

The figures are based on the iVolt Battery Pack (12.8v - 4500mah) i believe

You are spot on with Energy Saving mode too. With No Radar the camera would wake up and start recording within 1 second of a detected impact to the car, so the impact would be missed but the aftermath caught.

With the Radar any physical movement in FRONT of the car (Not the Rear) would be picked up by the Radar which will start the 20 second recording however it will only actually Save that clip if it then detects an impact.

Be aware in Energy Saving Mode you can not Remotely 'Live View' through the camera as it shuts down all the WiFi to save power. In Timelapse or Motion you can Remotely Live View as long as you have a WiFi connection to the camera.

Back