Fun in Thailand

Normal Thai traffic, you have to watch for crazy crap from all directions.
Here we have a motorbike with a load of papayas, and no license plate, in a hurry, a pickup parked in travel lanes, and a sam lor (trike) going the wrong way against traffic.

Now another 'U turn' episode.

The white toyota in front of me is waiting for enough of a gap to cross the opposing lanes and travel a few blocks on the shoulder of the road, since it's the saves maybe a couple of KM. The motorbike with all passengers wearing helmets, is doing the same.

Wait! Not all passengers on the motorbike have a helmet!

baby.JPG

Bumped into another family, later.

Dad was hanging out back having a smoke.

fam.JPG

Last edited:
~Took a longish trip yesterday, stuck the A119V3 in the windshield via the non-GPS mount, and the results a little better. I forgot to double check the g shock setting, which I never enable, and it was 'on' when I returned from a 110 Km each way trip to visit a friend in the next province. Lost all of the outbound trip, due to RO files, and leaving the cam running during the 3-4 hours I spent with my friend. :(

Dropped a friend off at the train station, and stuck around to watch the non airconditioned train that takes 10-12 hours to make it to bangkok. Luckily she is only going to a stop an hour away.

another checkpoint, not sure what they were looking for? (Actual mobile police work, like pulling over vehicles with no tags, speeding, running red lights, driving the wrong way on the road, etc, may be more effective)

Panic stop in the samlor for school crosswalk. Not sure if I missed warning signs or what, but got stopped,,,,,,,eventually.

Riding to a shopping area on 'Buzzy the Sam Lor'. I think with a single cylinder engine, and a lot of lightweight bodywork and framing for the bodywork, there is no way to get rid of the buzzes and rattles.

Not sure what the cops are doing? Passed them a few feet before this video. I THINK they may be checking double parked or parked vehicles for registration? Seems to be a big push recently.

On smoother roads, the A119V3 does ok. (Not that there are that many smooth roads)

This is a run to a shopping area.

If I get brave, may try putting some rubber sheet gaskets or something in some of the metal to fibreglass joints on the fairing/roof. I keep checking the nuts, bolts and screws, assuming with that much rattle and buzz something is loosening up, but no problems, yet.

hoody.JPG

I'm sure he's well aware of traffic, around him.
It's over 90F. Not sure why the hoody is needed?
Then we have the texting..............

I don't understand it,. They tend to wear jackets and sweaters here when it's in the 90's F. I even see them walking pet dogs with cute sweaters on in the 90's F. Maybe that explains all of the stray dogs? They run away from home to get away from those damn sweaters in this heat?

I don't understand it,. They tend to wear jackets and sweaters here when it's in the 90's F. I even see them walking pet dogs with cute sweaters on in the 90's F. Maybe that explains all of the stray dogs? They run away from home to get away from those damn sweaters in this heat?

If you stay longer than 2 months there, you'll find 90+F does not feel hot and humid. In that time period your blood will thin out and will adjust to the Tropical temp. The hoodie is more to keep the sun out of his face. Also wearing jackets and sweaters backwards. Common for Moped/bike riders in that part of the world.

I hope that happens, soon, hitting two months in few weeks, and 1/3 of my time here was in on non a/c house. It's not quite as humid here i think as the coastal areas, but I cooked my butt pretty quickly yesterday. The pre flight safety check on the trike is 'nothing hanging- off ready to fall off/No flat tires/several bottles of water under the seat'.

I hope that happens, soon, hitting two months in few weeks, and 1/3 of my time here was in on non a/c house. It's not quite as humid here i think as the coastal areas, but I cooked my butt pretty quickly yesterday. The pre flight safety check on the trike is 'nothing hanging- off ready to fall off/No flat tires/several bottles of water under the seat'.

I didn't make this up. I've said before I think, I'm born in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 3 rd generation, Chinese origin. My first of 2 sons was born there too. Because of Malaysia's political system. Wife, Me and son migrated to Canada 42 years ago. I have Family and siblings still in Malaysia and we goes back as often as financially possible. Each time we go back we feel the 90+F temp and high humidity. Our usual stay then was 1 month due to son's schooling and our annual work holidays. Wife and I have since retired and sons have married and left home. Our trips to Malaysia now is about once a year and stays 2 months. By 6 weeks we're completely climatised to Malaysia's heat and humidity. Problem now is back to Canada we're really feeling the cold at 65 F in Spring.

I've lived in the coastal southeast and florida, not quite the same and you still can see 20's F overnight, occasionally. I literally didn't bring a jacket with me, or any cool weather clothes with the exception of a heavy long sleeved shirt.
I guess by the time I feel cold here, I'll be acclimatized?

I've been trying to get out in the morning for a walk before it gets hot. If I keep that up I may adjust better.

I had a layover in KL, just 6 hours or so,,,,, i was outside and man was it hot.
Where i came from ( Miri ) it was also hot, going outside the hotel was like being hit in the face with a red hot hammer.
I like my weather hot like i do my girls,,,, but maybe over time that will get too hot for me to handle. :)

I hope the lotto gods take pity on me on Wednesday, maybe Lakshmi will grace me.
I am so ready to travel the world and meet new people,,,,, or that is i need to have a passport made first.

I had a layover in KL, just 6 hours or so,,,,, i was outside and man was it hot.
Where i came from ( Miri ) it was also hot, going outside the hotel was like being hit in the face with a red hot hammer.
I like my weather hot like i do my girls,,,, but maybe over time that will get too hot for me to handle. :)

I hope the lotto gods take pity on me on Wednesday, maybe Lakshmi will grace me.
I am so ready to travel the world and meet new people,,,,, or that is i need to have a passport made first.

Miri is East malaysia. Same temperature as Kuala lumpur. When We took our second son to KL, he was 16 months old. He couldn't breathe when we got out of the plane. Heat and humidity was a bit too much for him. After entering airport's air con he was much better and even enjoyed himself. Except tropical mosquitoes seem to flogged to him.

I've lived in the coastal southeast and florida, not quite the same and you still can see 20's F overnight, occasionally. I literally didn't bring a jacket with me, or any cool weather clothes with the exception of a heavy long sleeved shirt.
I guess by the time I feel cold here, I'll be acclimatized?

I've been trying to get out in the morning for a walk before it gets hot. If I keep that up I may adjust better.

Give it another couple of weeks. Take a shower in the morning, evening, and just before bed and you'll adjust faster. Ignore the sweating on your body during the day. Drink lots of fresh coconut water, and eat Thai food. Western food is not fresh and expensive.

I can ignore my sweating, but the people near me, can't. :)

I think I've had 'western' food 6 times in two months, mostly out of convenience.

I took a lady friend to an expat owned place that had good food, but dinner ran about $5 each. She liked the food, but 'too expensive, we not go back'.

(Looks like I hit the 'all you can eat' pizza night at another expat owned place for $5, solo.)

:)

Back