The 522GW really is awful

Google does it, think Siri does as well, just seems like an over complication to have the camera pass a commend to a phone that the phone can do already
Would make more sense for the phone to send commands the other way, then you would only be talking to one device, which would make the conversations easier! Time for a camera app with voice control...

yeah, but suppose, not hands free..
Not sure I understand that, isn't the idea of Alexa etc. that it is hands free? Put your phone on it's charging mount and leave it there while you talk to it.

With skills, it's hands free, with the 522, but they haven't added the skills yet, so you still have to press the protect button, manually download the videos etc.

With skills, it's hands free, with the 522, but they haven't added the skills yet, so you still have to press the protect button, manually download the videos etc.
yeah that bit I understand the attraction, assuming it works, getting it to initiate phone calls, change songs etc is just duplicating something that is already there, that bit I don't get

HI @Steven1105uk

I'm really sorry you're experiencing that; its not what we've designed ti to do of course. Please see below, or call in on 02920 866 429 where we can help.

A few steps to get WiFi/Alexa working again:

1. Make sure that the camera is not recording, if it is then simply tap the red recording icon in the bottom left of the screen to stop it.

2. Tap the settings cogwheel in the top left and select 'setup'.

3. Scroll to page four and tap 'Keep User Settings' and turn it off.

4. Go to 'Default Settings' and select yes, this will set the camera back to defaults.

5. When the camera turns itself back on you will need to go through the first time setup again.

6. When you get to the 'Connecting' page then open the Bluetooth settings on your phone.

7. You will need to 'Forget' the camera from within the Bluetooth settings, then go to WiFi and tap the three dots and forget the Nextbase from saved networks.

8. Uninstall and reinstall My Nextbase Connect (and Alexa if applicable)

9. Open My Nextbase Connect and tap 'Connect to dashcam', as long as your camera is still displaying 'Connecting' you should be able to connect the two.

10. After a successful connection has been established then tap 'learn more' for Alexa, enable it and then select 'Open Alexa App' at the bottom of the screen.

11. Tapping 'Open Alexa App' should open up the app and take you straight to connecting page for your camera.

12. If you wish to use Alexa please ensure that both Alexa and My Nextbase Connect are kept open in the background on your phone.

I have followed these instructions s about 15 times I just cannot get the Alexa to connect. I have to keep reconnecting the app for the dash cam I am almost losing my temper with this, I feel like we have spent over £200 for a absolute piece of rubbish !!!

They should have just designed a new dashcam, based on the 380 but that's another story, and left out the fancy bits like Alexa and SOS as they must be getting numerous support calls hence their absence from here.

This is the forth unit and driving me nuts, exact faults on everyone. Somedays it wil work perfect. More then not alexa is very tempramental always loosing contact. Rebooted. Restarted. Re everything fed up of contacting cuss support. Boy have i used some swear words at alexa. As well as loosing conntact you get this constant ratatatatatatat from unit even unpluged it carries on regardless untill unit dies. On 2 occations halfords have set it up for me
. And still have to go back. 4 units with the same fault nextbase say are you must be using wrong sd card. Because error format sd card comes up quite a lot. I have used samsung. Scandisk. Im now on nextbase purchased direct from them. Come on nextbase admit theres a problem and sort it

My 522 works perfectly (except I don't use Alexa, at home or on my mobile) though currently the cam is unused while I test other dashcams due to no space on my windscreen, but it does work. No start up, close down, or recording issues...

They won’t acknowledge the faults. The customer service just repeat the reset steps again and again. One day it works and the next day it doesn’t. I went through the same with them.

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the delayed reply. My name's Millie and I've taken over from Tiffany on this Forum. Hopefully I'll be able to answer some of the questions above and clear some items up.

Firstly, in regards to the upsides of enabling Amazon Alexa through the Dash Cam; the microphone on the Dash Cam is (usually) nearer your head, and so Alexa should be able to more accurately recognise your instructions/command rather than if it was directed to your phone, which could be in your pocket, in a bag or even in the boot. You can also use the Alexa Skills to play songs, podcasts and the regular uses of Alexa, without having to activate your phone directly. The various uses of Alexa can be found on the Amazon Alexa website. The mobile device would have to be within range of the camera (inside the car), but does not require the phone to be within reach. Nextbase hopes this will help to prevent people from looking/searching for/checking their mobiles whilst driving, which is a major cause of driving incidents. The Alexa skill has suffered a slight delay due to multiple reasons, but should be available within the week. I really appreciate everyone's patience during this period. Alexa should then work fully through the Dash Cam, as long as your phone is Alexa compatiable. This brings me on to my next point.

@Smurff47: I would be incredibly surprised if there was any faults with the Dash Cam's themselves if you've had 4 separate units and they've all displayed the same fault. Please could I have the details of your phone and I will check the compatibility with the Alexa app and the Nextbase app. I'd like to get the the bottom of this, identity the problem and get you a happy resolution.

@Steven1105uk: I've read over all your comments and can see that our Customer Support Team have not yet been able to find a solution to the issues you're experiencing. I'd appreciate if we could organise a meeting, either in person or over the phone, where we would take control of the phone remotely and try to identify the root issue. Please contact me and we can organise this.

If anyone has any other comments or issues, please message me and I'll try to help as much as I can.

Thanks and regards,
Millie- Nextbase

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the delayed reply. My name's Millie and I've taken over from Tiffany on this Forum. Hopefully I'll be able to answer some of the questions above and clear some items up.

Firstly, in regards to the upsides of enabling Amazon Alexa through the Dash Cam; the microphone on the Dash Cam is (usually) nearer your head, and so Alexa should be able to more accurately recognise your instructions/command rather than if it was directed to your phone, which could be in your pocket, in a bag or even in the boot. You can also use the Alexa Skills to play songs, podcasts and the regular uses of Alexa, without having to activate your phone directly. The various uses of Alexa can be found on the Amazon Alexa website. The mobile device would have to be within range of the camera (inside the car), but does not require the phone to be within reach. Nextbase hopes this will help to prevent people from looking/searching for/checking their mobiles whilst driving, which is a major cause of driving incidents. The Alexa skill has suffered a slight delay due to multiple reasons, but should be available within the week. I really appreciate everyone's patience during this period. Alexa should then work fully through the Dash Cam, as long as your phone is Alexa compatiable. This brings me on to my next point.

@Smurff47: I would be incredibly surprised if there was any faults with the Dash Cam's themselves if you've had 4 separate units and they've all displayed the same fault. Please could I have the details of your phone and I will check the compatibility with the Alexa app and the Nextbase app. I'd like to get the the bottom of this, identity the problem and get you a happy resolution.

@Steven1105uk: I've read over all your comments and can see that our Customer Support Team have not yet been able to find a solution to the issues you're experiencing. I'd appreciate if we could organise a meeting, either in person or over the phone, where we would take control of the phone remotely and try to identify the root issue. Please contact me and we can organise this.

If anyone has any other comments or issues, please message me and I'll try to help as much as I can.

Thanks and regards,
Millie- Nextbase
Thank you for your prompt response, my phone is a samsung 10s. Some days it works perfectly. But when it fails boy it fails. Sim card error is quite common on screen having to re pair alexa is quite common. Halfords say they are getting fed up of faults on these units. Although im quite technical and fitted dash cams before. I got halfords to set the last 2 for me. All tried n tested. Within a week i was back. Same old faults. Another is for unit to make a constant reatatat noise. Nothing clears it until battery is dead. I will try n download.

Thank you for your prompt response, my phone is a samsung 10s. Some days it works perfectly. But when it fails boy it fails. Sim card error is quite common on screen having to re pair alexa is quite common. Halfords say they are getting fed up of faults on these units. Although im quite technical and fitted dash cams before. I got halfords to set the last 2 for me. All tried n tested. Within a week i was back. Same old faults. Another is for unit to make a constant reatatat noise. Nothing clears it until battery is dead. I will try n download.

Samsung S10, hmm, that shouldn't cause any issues. Any chance of a photo of each side of the Nextbase SD card you're using please?

The ratatat noise, is it an alarm noise? Like the start up/off sound repeated?

The issues you're getting, is that after you're trying to use Alexa, or after any particular repeated event?

Is the Dash Cam hardwired in? How are you powering the unit?

What firmware is the Dash Cam on?

What firmware is the app on?

Sorry for the interrogation. Thanks again,
Millie

I just purchased the 522GW on Sunday and have spent over 5 hours trying to get the WiFi to work.
- I have talked to 4 reps from Nextbase and they don’t seem to knowledgeable, at least not the ones that have tried.
- I have reset the dash cam over 5 times and re-installed the MyNextbase app on my phone.
- latest firmware 16.3
- IPhone Xs

when trying to join the wifi network with the default password “12345678” from my iPhone XS, it returns notifying me that the password is incorrect. Then the rep asked me if I changed the password after just explain to them that I just purchased the dashcam and I haven’t been able to have the WiFi function to work.

I’m sure you can read my frustration!

is that the right app, there are two nextbase apps in the app stores, the new models use a different version than previous

I suspect that is a red herring.
Surely the wrong app would not stop a WiFi connection with a "Wrong Password" error?
The phone to device WiFi connection is just a bog standard network connection (with no internet) and therefore is independent of the app.

I just purchased the 522GW on Sunday and have spent over 5 hours trying to get the WiFi to work.
- I have talked to 4 reps from Nextbase and they don’t seem to knowledgeable, at least not the ones that have tried.
- I have reset the dash cam over 5 times and re-installed the MyNextbase app on my phone.
- latest firmware 16.3
- IPhone Xs

when trying to join the wifi network with the default password “12345678” from my iPhone XS, it returns notifying me that the password is incorrect. Then the rep asked me if I changed the password after just explain to them that I just purchased the dashcam and I haven’t been able to have the WiFi function to work.

I’m sure you can read my frustration!
Hi Pete,

The 12345678 suggestion and password requirement to connect sounds to me like you may have been using Cam Viewer instead of MyNextbase Connect, but I can see from your post on a different forum that you managed to get connected, so I'll reply on that forum instead.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

I wish I had found this forum before buying it. Had it 2 days and have to say its a bag of crap. Keeps disconnecting from my S8, says its connected but fails to talk to the phone. Seems to be a reset and reboot of cam and phone every time I want to use it. I'm on latest software and firmware - its more trouble than its worth. Download to phone is far to slow, can only record in 3 min segments...... avoid.

I wish I had found this forum before buying it. Had it 2 days and have to say its a bag of crap. Keeps disconnecting from my S8, says its connected but fails to talk to the phone. Seems to be a reset and reboot of cam and phone every time I want to use it. I'm on latest software and firmware - its more trouble than its worth. Download to phone is far to slow, can only record in 3 min segments...... avoid.
Hi Umpa,

I'm very sorry to hear you do not like your 522GW. I'd like to try and get to the root of the issue to find a resolution, so please can you provide some more technical details?

1) When do the devices disconnect?
2) Is there are particular order of things being triggered or actions by yourself which lead to it disconnecting?
3) What are you noticing from disconnection? Is either Device making a noise, a change in screen or a change in icons (Dash Cam or mobile)?
4) Is this happening over night and/or when you're getting repeatedly in and out of your vehicle?
5) Is the app open in the background of your phone?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase

So months later..... I have a new mobile phone . camera is on 18.5 . still a pile of junk

Only one pairing at a time (i dont mean live i mean saved)
WiFi flakey and when it works 2MB/s - forever to download and fails all time
Camera blurred
Cant read plates in most situation
Alexas rubbish
Skill says need to link to account when its linked
On a plus you can now play spotify (but that may have been an amazon issue)

You couldnt make a worse product if you tried

No im not going to reset it and start again, its nothing to do with 'mine' the design is just rubbish

DO NOT BUY unless you have little expectation for a dashcam

Oh and i noticed its back up at £150... I presume thats for some Black Friday "Sales"

Back