F900LHD Won't Record with 12 volt Supply

Marzipan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have two F900LHDs bought about a year apart. The newer one refuses to record when running off vehicle 12 volt supply.

I've exchanged cables, internal batteries, re-set it and made the menu settings about the same but when the new dash cam is plugged into the car it acts like it's plugged into a computer's USB port ... it displays a choice between "PC Computer" and "Mass Storage". (It does briefly flash a view through the lens.) It will however record with its own power.

Any thoughts on this behaviour?

It sounds like the cables or more the pins on the cable. Different cables different uses. I imagine you tried running the non working one with the already working ones power cable?

It sounds like the cables or more the pins on the cable. Different cables different uses. I imagine you tried running the non working one with the already working ones power cable?
Yes I have tried a good working cable.

Since it displays the view through the lens for about a second before switching to a "computer" display I'm wondering if the camera does not see sufficient power to do a recording. When the weather warms up I'll get the engine running and revving a bit to get the voltage up to 14 - currently about 12.0 v - then plug the camera in.

Last edited:
I have discovered that the troublesome dash cam does work with a power adapter that came with a GPS but not with the adapter that came with the device nor with the adapter that came with a nearly identical dash cam - even though the other dash cam works with both adapters.

Get some tape and cover the two middle contacts in the USB plug. These are the data connections. By covering them up, your dash cam will just see it as a "dumb" power cable.

I have two F900LHDs bought about a year apart. The newer one refuses to record when running off vehicle 12 volt supply.

I've exchanged cables, internal batteries, re-set it and made the menu settings about the same but when the new dash cam is plugged into the car it acts like it's plugged into a computer's USB port ... it displays a choice between "PC Computer" and "Mass Storage". (It does briefly flash a view through the lens.) It will however record with its own power.

Any thoughts on this behaviour?
i am having the very same problem you are having with the one i have if you find a solution to it would you please let me know.i have had this thing for 2 months and haven't bin able to use it yet.thanks.(ron062@gmx.com)

Back