Thinkware U1000 review

Hi,

I have a question please.

I currently have the F100 2 channel fitted to my Toyota RAV4, if I wanted to change to the U1000 2 channel, would my existing wiring be compatible, as I would hate to reroute and hard wire again !!

Thanks

Hi,

I have a question please.

I currently have the F100 2 channel fitted to my Toyota RAV4, if I wanted to change to the U1000 2 channel, would my existing wiring be compatible, as I would hate to reroute and hard wire again !!

Thanks

The hardwire kit is the same for all Thinkware. But the rear cam cable I know U1000 is using the same cable as F800 Pro and Q800 Pro.

The hardwire kit is the same for all Thinkware. But the rear cam cable I know U1000 is using the same cable as F800 Pro and Q800 Pro.
Speedy reply, thanks. That clears up the hardwire question and is good to know. I'll hopefully get some clarification on the rest of the wiring. Thanks.

U1000 installed and working well so far. I’m using a sandisk a1 400gb sd card after formatting and updating to the latest firmware using a Samsung 64gb card. For some reason the u1000 would not show up on my WiFi list when trying to connect to my phone with the 400gb card installed. I had to swap cards, format then it connected and the firmware update went smoothly. After that I reinstalled my sandisk 400gb card and it’s working well.

I need to clean off the glue residue that you see just left of the u1000 from my previously installed sg9663dc.

Attachments

• 75A81F45-DED3-47F3-8FC7-CF3CB6F80EEC.jpeg
    75A81F45-DED3-47F3-8FC7-CF3CB6F80EEC.jpeg
    414.9 KB · Views: 43
I have been using the two-channel U1000 for about a week now, since swapping out my F770.
Overall image quality is good, and having eliminated the need to format the SD-card every week or so makes the purchase worthwhile.

I have noticed, however, that the accelerometer in the U1000 is way too sensitive, to the point of ridiculousness.
Even when set at its lowest – or lest sensitive – level, just shutting the door or tailgate triggers a false positive. Whilst the F770 was pretty sensitive, at least I could shut the door gently or go slowly over a speed bump and not worry about it.
Now whether or not the longitudinal design of the U1000 plays any contributing factor in its overt sensitivity, I can’t say.
I would like to suggest, however, that Thinkware ought to review the firmware for its accelerometer, and perhaps release an update, such that it doesn’t register a false positive at the drop of a hat.

I’d like to hear what you guys have to say on the matter.

Cheers.

I have been using the two-channel U1000 for about a week now, since swapping out my F770.
Overall image quality is good, and having eliminated the need to format the SD-card every week or so makes the purchase worthwhile.

I have noticed, however, that the accelerometer in the U1000 is way too sensitive, to the point of ridiculousness.
Even when set at its lowest – or lest sensitive – level, just shutting the door or tailgate triggers a false positive. Whilst the F770 was pretty sensitive, at least I could shut the door gently or go slowly over a speed bump and not worry about it.
Now whether or not the longitudinal design of the U1000 plays any contributing factor in its overt sensitivity, I can’t say.
I would like to suggest, however, that Thinkware ought to review the firmware for its accelerometer, and perhaps release an update, such that it doesn’t register a false positive at the drop of a hat.

Cheers.

I think the gsensor on the U1000 is about the same as F800 Pro and Q800 Pro from my experience.

But I noticed sometimes the sounds from speakers are breaking during startup or when the ADAS triggers. Sometimes its sounds fine.

Cheers.
I haven’t messed with the settings again, but I used the same settings I had from my q800pro on the u1000 and it is extremely sensitive like you said. Wind and lightning set off parking mode incidents as well as any loud exhaust or music playing from other cars. During normal driving it’s about the same as my q800pro; any large pothole or speed bump sets off continuous incident which isn’t bad. But, you’re correct, I think a firmware update needs to include some sort of update for parking mode sensitivity.

Can someone please clarify the codec U1000 uses? Blackboxmycar says H.264 while the forum OP says H.265 ??

Can someone please clarify the codec U1000 uses? Blackboxmycar says H.264 while the forum OP says H.265 ??
On Blackboxmycar’s YouTube review video they state H.265 for smoother playback if I remember correctly.

Speedy reply, thanks. That clears up the hardwire question and is good to know. I'll hopefully get some clarification on the rest of the wiring. Thanks.

@152bobby Unfortunately, you will need to swap out the rear camera cable as the U1000 does not use the same rear camera cable.

@152bobby Unfortunately, you will need to swap out the rear camera cable as the U1000 does not use the same rear camera cable.

I would like to know exactly what it is about the rear camera cable for the U1000 that is not backwards compatible.
I didn’t bother swapping out the rear camera cable from the F770 either, and the rear image quality for me is just fine.
Cheers.

I would like to know exactly what it is about the rear camera cable for the U1000 that is not backwards compatible.
I didn’t bother swapping out the rear camera cable from the F770 either, and the rear image quality for me is just fine.
Cheers.
I know that F800 Pro, Q800 Pro and U1000 is using the same rear camera cable. The connector looks like micro usb connector.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I know that F800 Pro, Q800 Pro and U1000 is using the same rear camera cable. The connector looks like micro usb connector.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yep, @Jeremy Wong is correct! The F100 rear cam cable is not micro USB. The U1000's rear camera cable is micro usb.

Cheers.

It's weird because on the Thinkware site, the rear camera cable they sell is different for most models, though the U1000 cable is listed as compatible with only the F770. Not sure why the U1000 cable only lists the F770, and not any other models.

It's weird because on the Thinkware site, the rear camera cable they sell is different for most models, though the U1000 cable is listed as compatible with only the F770. Not sure why the U1000 cable only lists the F770, and not any other models.

The F770/U1000 rear camera cable both come with one right angle micro usb connection to connect to the main unit. The U1000 rear cam is compatible with the F800/F800PRO + Q800PRO/QA100 rear camera cables however they have two straight micro usb connections.

No difference either than a minor aesthetic change. Hopefully this can clear up some of the confusion!

Last edited:

Cheers.
Thanks for this. I have been using my U1000 for around 2 weeks now and also find the accelerometer is too sensitive. Any traffic calming speed humps cause it to trigger also with least sensitive setting. Thought it was only my installation.

@ZS6HG @David Markham Do you both have the driving and parking impact sensitivity set to the lowest? If so, would you guys mind sending me a screenshot of your settings and a video of a false positive event? I realize it is a lot to ask of you two, however it will help us communicate your issues with our development team much easier. We will definitely try to look into this for you. Thanks!

Last edited:
@ZS6HG @David Markham Do you both have the driving and parking impact sensitivity set to the lowest? If so, would you guys mind sending me a screenshot of your settings and a video of a false positive event?... We will definitely try to look into this for you. Thanks!

@Thinkware Dash Cam, Please view the attached screenshot, as well as the link to a video clip of the U1000 triggering a false positive.
I trust this helps.

Attachments

• 39E7CC0B-9B1C-432D-9D62-3527E189CBFB.png
    39E7CC0B-9B1C-432D-9D62-3527E189CBFB.png
    145.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
The F770/U1000 rear camera cable both come with one right angle micro usb connection to connect to the main unit. The U1000 rear cam is compatible with the F800/F800PRO + Q800PRO/QA100 rear camera cables however they have two straight micro usb connections.

No difference either than a minor aesthetic change. Hopefully this can clear up some of the confusion!

I was wondering about the microSD cards, I know you only recommend the Thinkware branded cards, I'm not that familiar with microSD cards so I'm wondering what they offer technically versus say a third party brand's cards?

@ZS6HG @David Markham Do you both have the driving and parking impact sensitivity set to the lowest? If so, would you guys mind sending me a screenshot of your settings and a video of a false positive event? I realize it is a lot to ask of you two, however it will help us communicate your issues with our development team much easier. We will definitely try to look into this for you. Thanks!
@ Thinkware Dash Cam - here is link to a earlier video saved with the Continuous Mode Incident Recording Sensitivity set to 'Lowest' + false trigger. The Parking Impact Sensitivity is set to 'Mid' which as I understand should have no effect while driving (?) - https://vimeo.com/user72698231/review/370064120/da273a2957

I do not get a false trigger on door closing as does David - mild speed humps taken at very low speeds are my issues.

Screenshot_20191031-142540_THINKWARE CLOUD.jpg

Hope this may be of help.

Last edited:
Back