Best low light dual channel

reconstyle

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have front and rear tinted windows and I'm looking for a dual channel dash cam that has the best low light video quality.

I don't really care about wifi or bluetooth connectivity, nor do I care about any sort of safety features (lane departure, collision warning etc)

Low light video quality is my #1 priority, #2 would be parking mode.

I've been reading about the DR900S, U1000, and the Q800 - but having a hard time deciding.

even some very average native 1080p cameras will outperform all of these, suggest you do a bit more research first if low light is important to you

even some very average native 1080p cameras will outperform all of these, suggest you do a bit more research first if low light is important to you

On the "What Should I Buy" forum, your advice is to do more research.

Awesome, thanks.

If the low light quality is more important than the dualness, take a look at the Viofo A119 V3, and maybe get two...
If the dualness is important then there is the Viofo A129.

On the "What Should I Buy" forum, your advice is to do more research.

Awesome, thanks.
I'm not going to make a recommendation of a specific product, people have their own ideas and sometimes some bias toward particular products, if you list products you're interested in I can tell you which may be the better choice but ultimately you need to shortlist what fits what you want, your initial three models you were looking at suggest you haven't researched this much if low light is an important criteria

I'm not going to make a recommendation of a specific product, people have their own ideas and sometimes some bias toward particular products, if you list products you're interested in I can tell you which may be the better choice but ultimately you need to shortlist what fits what you want, your initial three models you were looking at suggest you haven't researched this much if low light is an important criteria

Ok, man. Whatever floats your boat.

This is literally called the "What Should I Buy" forum, though. So maybe think about that before you reply - if you aren't going to make a suggestion on what to buy, then maybe don't reply?

@jokiin

Also, you state that "people have their own ideas and sometimes bias" - and yet you want me to do more research. Where do you think bias comes from? It comes from clever marketing and paid/biased reviews.

Ok, man. Whatever floats your boat.

This is literally called the "What Should I Buy" forum, though. So maybe think about that before you reply - if you aren't going to make a suggestion on what to buy, then maybe don't reply?
Note that jokiin is a "Manufacturer" and there are some forum rules and etiquette. His advice is good, your selected cameras are not good in low light.

Also, I have received a few "free" cameras from Viofo, hence me only suggesting you take a look at their cameras rather than saying they have the best low light capability. Normally I try to suggest some other options, but currently it is hard to find anything to match the A119 V3 for low light performance.

For 1080p cameras you want to look at systems that have the Sony IMX 291 sensor, for a 1440p camera like the A119 V3 you will want a IMX 335 sensor.
There are also interesting 4K sensors, but those have not yet moved into dashcams, so for a while 4K dashcams will have "less than optimal" low light performance.
BUT ! depending on how you look at low light performance current 4K cameras are okay, they will have no problem recording where you are in your lane and the color of intersections you go thru, and IMO these 2 things should be enough to ward off the most outrageous claims against you..
But if you want every little bit of detail in low light, then you have to look at lesser resolution cameras, and just know that don't mean you will do any plate captures at any speed faster than a crawl at night.

I am also affiliated with some brands of dashcams, so i cant for good reason do a sales pitches for those, but the cameras are not that hard to find if you have a base knowledge of what to look for.

PS. there are also cameras using the sensors i mentioned that are not super well dialed in and so even for the hardware used they will not perform as good as they could, and sadly this characteristic are not only for the low end ( price ) cameras.

As kamkar1 says, dual-channel cameras with IMX291 are likely to give you the best low light results. These include the Viofo A129 and SG9663DCPRO. Both have IMX291 front&back. They also both have low bitrate parking modes if you use a hardwire kit.

As kamkar1 says, dual-channel cameras with IMX291 are likely to give you the best low light results. These include the Viofo A129 and SG9663DCPRO. Both have IMX291 front&back. They also both have low bitrate parking modes if you use a hardwire kit.

I like what I see with the SG9663DCPRO.

Do you know if the camera is able to tilt 90deg to the mount, I have a truck with a vertical back window.

I have the old DC system ( I think same rear camera at least in regard to housing and ability to tilt ) and my little JAP 5 door hatchback have a very near vertical rear window too, and no problems there.

suzuki_splash_2010_benzin_suzuki_splash_1_2_gls_aircon_5d_7120116568041077542.jpg

Though i do have my camera off a magnet on a horizontal part of the rear hatch.
img_20180412_191820-jpg.37452

img_20180412_191843-jpg.37453

it is only a few degrees as i recall, you can also "wedge" the camera out on the glass, i am about to do that myself on my side cameras as i want then to have a slight forward bias in the aim of those.
I have not yet decided on how i would do it, seem a bit overkill to make a wedge + the approach will also need 2 sticky pads to be used ( one to stick wedge to glass and another one to stick camera to wedge )
+ the base of the side cameras i have are really darn small, a lot smaller contact surface than the DC rear camera have.

But its probably the only way to do it right, and it will have to look good as my side cameras are on that little fixed glass on my rear doors, so visible as my car don't have tinted glass.

You will see most of your truck bed in the footage even when it is installed right, but that's due to the wide angle lens the dashcams use, and if push come to shove you will want a too low aim over a too high aim for sure as that would mess with the cameras light metering.
BUT ! you should be very fine with what is in the box.

The front camera also come with a thick and a thin mount, but i don't think that's needed for the rear cameras as they have a fairly thick mount.

How much is "slightly"? - I don't want half the picture to be of the bed of the truck...
cameras need to aimed slightly down from the horizon or it affects the auto exposure, the angle works with that in mind

this is on a vertical rear window

camera angle.jpg

The used dashmellow in here have a 360 system too, aimed out back in his truck is a mobius camera as i recall, but you can see what kind of view he have here.

rear2-jpg.48507

Back