Sandisk: Ultra or Extreme?

SamDude

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thinkware U1000 (SanDisk H.Endur 256MB), BlackVue Ultra B124
Hi all,
I'm looking at the Sandisk microSD cards, and wanted to check if there was a difference (or justification) for needing the Extreme over the Ultra?
It will be for my Thinkware U1000 (not installed yet).

Amazon have the 400GB Ultra for £43.29 and the Extreme for £66.99

Should I get the 400GB (or 256GB?) Ultra, or the Extreme equivalent?

Thanks jokiin.

I should take a step back and ask what the recording time/capacity is for the U1000 (front+rear) on a comparable quality setting...
How much recording time would I get on 256GB vs 400GB?

Thanks jokiin.

I should take a step back and ask what the recording time/capacity is for the U1000 (front+rear) on a comparable quality setting...
How much recording time would I get on 256GB vs 400GB?
This should help you.

Do keep in mind the calculator is a bit out-of-date, and today's 4K cams withe their high bitrates will give somewhat less recording time. If a given length of recording time is critical best to use a larger card if the calculator is near that limit ;) And no matter the card's source, always run a full write test with "h2testw" freeware before using the card to guard against fakes and defective cards.

Phil

@SawMaster - noted, understood, noted and will do :)

today's 4K cams withe their high bitrates will give somewhat less recording time.
I haven't looked myself but what is the bit rate for some of the 4K cams? The calculator goes up to 100Mbps - that's pretty healthy in and of itself.

TBH I haven't played with the calculator in awhile, but the last time I checked it you were quoted times based on what are now low-to-average 1080P bitrates. Some cams can now run double that amount and more with modified firmware :geek:

Phil

Back