VIOFO Circular Polarized Filter - Looks to have changed, can I still use original version on A119 V3?

JRUK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

I'm taking advantage of some Cyber Monday deals and upgrading my two A119 V1 to the new A119 V3. I have the VIOFO Circular Polarized Filters on both but looking at images the design has changed slightly with a rounded frame bulge. Do I need to buy the new ones or will the old ones still work/fit ok?

V1.jpgVersion 2.jpg

Only one that I know of, I meant how different it is to the one you have now, if it's wider than your old camera lens you may get some vignetting

The V3 has quite a narrow lens, I would expect the old CPL to work fine, haven't tested it though.

No personal experience but I've just read a review on Amazon where a v3 buyer stated that the original CPL filter does fit.

Awesome. If someone can test new version (2020) of this CPL at night it would be great. I'm thinking of getting 2x of them for my a129 but i don't see much difference in quality. Maybe 5-10% reduction in glare or am i blind?

Found this video but i think this old version of lens tested. If it gets rid off windshield glare completely i think just for that it would be worth getting.

I do mostly night driving i'm wondering if this filter makes video look darker or not? I guess one can bump EV +0.5 to 1.0?

Let me your thoughts on this filter for night driving, if it's worth getting?

the CPL is mostly about cutting reflections from inside your window, that is much less of a problem at night

I do mostly night driving i'm wondering if this filter makes video look darker or not? I guess one can bump EV +0.5 to 1.0?
For night time you are better off without it unless you are getting reflections of your dash lights, which is unlikely but possible in some cars.
Essentially it will double the motion blur, which is not desirable at night.

If it was easy to remove I would but plastic against plastic and daily on off ...... I leave it attached.

My night time footage isn't that shabby either. It would be perfectly OK if needed.

For night time you are better off without it unless you are getting reflections of your dash lights, which is unlikely but possible in some cars.
Essentially it will double the motion blur, which is not desirable at night.

Thank you for feedback. No i don't see any windows light reflections at night. If there is and didn't pay attention to this yet. Thank you.

Back