GitUp F1: any good for dash cam use?

Still waiting for a Mobius style camera with good night video quality.

+1

But... I do appreciate the Caddx Dolphin more and more, despite it's shortcomings, it's just a great little cuby recording thingie with great brightness (but cutting corners on the framerate). Actually the not stopping / shutting down after external power off, and the low fps in low light are the only REAL things I can't get over with.... otherwise it's pretty impressive for 35 EU........ (https://caddxfpv.com/products/1-1)

relative I guess, it might be great for 4k, that's not going to match a similar sized native 1080p camera though where the pixels are twice as big
A 4K sensor has 4 pixels for every 1 pixel in a 1080 sensor, so the 1080 pixels would be 4x the size, not "twice as big"!
Of course 4 pixels a quarter of the size will collect the same amount of light as the one big pixel, so sensitivity should be about the same. You do loose a little space for the pixel walls so a bit of the light is lost, but the IMX317 sensor in the F1 is 25% bigger than the IMX291 1080 sensor, which may be why the A129 Pro 4K achieves a faster shutter speed at night than the A129 1080.

I think the big difference that dirkzelf is seeing is the difference between an action camera lens (F2.8?) and the F1.2 lens in the Caddx Dolphin. The capacitor version with the F1.8 lens would be better in the dark.

Are you sure, I would expect it to beat the Mobius 1 at night?

Sorry, not in my experience, but I'm ONLY discussing the brightness during the dark hours here, cause the F1 clearly has better overall hardware and usabillity, right?

I think the big difference that dirkzelf is seeing is the difference between an action camera lens (F2.8?) and the F1.2 lens in the Caddx Dolphin. The capacitor version with the F1.8 lens would be better in the dark.

That's correct of course, and if I had known the capacitor version had a F1.8 lens, I would have bought that, not this one 160 AOV version.... Surely.

Maybe I got blinded by the words BLACK FRIDAY.... might as well have called it "Friday the 13th".... :D

That's correct of course, and if I had known the capacitor version had a F1.8 lens, I would have bought that, not this one 160 AOV version.... Surely.
It is the 130° FOV, F1.8 version that you want for dashcam use, much brighter lens:

was only referring to pixel size, 1.62 micron versus 2.9 micron in the 1080p sensor
They are 2 dimensional pixels, 1.62² micron x4 is 25% bigger than 2.9² micron x1, so the 4K sensor actually collects more light.

having more smaller pixels is not the same thing
Depends on what you are trying to do, but to say that the bigger 4K sensor collects less light than the smaller 1080 sensor is not correct.

Neither the Mobius 1, Maxi or F1 are great in the dark.

The F1C (130degFOV, F1.8) is better than the standard F1 (160degFOV, F2.8) for low light, but it's still the same sensor.
The Maxi uses a much higher ISO/gain to deliver a brighter video, with even less motion blur than an A129, but you get a load of free noise and inaccurate colours.
The M1 delivers a far less noisy image, but really needs an F1.2 lens to see anything at night.

@dirkzelf as you know, I've tested all these cameras. When I'm not swapping things around for testing, my personal setup is:
A129 front/rear primary cameras
M1 with F1.6 6-22mm front camera
M1 with F1.2 6mm rear camera

I don't use either a Maxi or F1 on a regular basis, although I have been testing 2No Maxi for a few months alongside the other cameras. I do plan to run the F1C as a 4K rear camera - I just haven't got around to sorting out the necessary cables.

Looking back at results from my experimental F1 with an A129 F1.6 lens and modified firmware, I think I'll give that another go, although the A129 Pro delivers similar performance without any modification.

Last edited:
PS: does anyone have any experience with changing lens in the F1?
I've swapped lenses a few times. It's harder to do than with the Mobius. The lens is glued in, so you will need an M12 locking collar for the new lens. The only live view is via WiFi, so refocusing can take a while.

If you're prising apart the shell, take care not to snap the WiFi antenna like I did.

I've swapped lenses a few times. It's harder to do than with the Mobius. The lens is glued in, so you will need an M12 locking collar for the new lens. The only live view is via WiFi, so refocusing can take a while.

If you're prising apart the shell, take care not to snap the WiFi antenna like I did.
I found removing the lens glue difficult, the answer was a big adjustable spanner to hold the square bottom of the lens mount, then you can use plenty of force to unscrew the lens since none of the force goes into the camera. Using a decent sized tablet for live view allows fairly quick focusing.

I got collars... so big chance i'm going in with the F1.2 ... anyone used that on the F1?

There is TV out as well I believe?

Am I right to conclude the date/timestamp disappears when using image stabilisation?

I wonder when we will see the first XX megapixel sensor in a dashcam using pixel binning, but i am unsure if that are only supported for photo modes and not video.

It seem to worl quite well in phone cameras,,,,, BTW xiaomi just presented their first +100 megapixel phone camera, will be interesting to see its pixel count when binned for low light shooting.
my 48 mpix phone camera spit out 12 mpix low light photos, i assume a 100 mpix sensor you could do a 9 in 1 binning and have a nice large light trap in that combined pixel.

I got collars... so big chance i'm going in with the F1.2 ... anyone used that on the F1?
Yes, I tried a 4mm F1.2 on the F1. It was difficult to achieve sharp focus across the frame.

I don't have a 2.8mm F1.2 though, which I think is what you have?

Am I right to conclude the date/timestamp disappears when using image stabilisation?
Yes, the date/time stamps will be off the edge of the frame. Are you planning on using stabilisation? Note, there's no stabilisation at 4K.

In addition to setting the time stamp info in the settings menu, you also need to enable it in the video menu. I think it's just called something like Stamp On/Off.

I have the 4mm.... Where can I find 2.8mm??

Got any footage left of that?

I have the 4mm.... Where can I find 2.8mm??

Got any footage left of that?
I thought you had a shorter F1.2 lens than 4mm?

Yes, the date/time stamps will be off the edge of the frame. Are you planning on using stabilisation? Note, there's no stabilisation at 4K.

Yeah I know, on the motorbike I really want to use the EIS for obvious reasons, although I'm not so sure if it makes a lot of difference. Does it work at 1440p?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Michelin Man F1 1
Z F1 13
TonyM F1 17
TonyM F1 113
D F1 17
Back