Insta 360 One R

Best thing, for the 1" sensor, soon you will get a mod, that should allow you to mount any lens, so you could put on a zoom lens or whatever. BUT ! i do not know what way the lenses will mount, after all there are quite a few ways lenses mount to cameras.

Best thing, for the 1" sensor, soon you will get a mod, that should allow you to mount any lens, so you could put on a zoom lens or whatever. BUT ! i do not know what way the lenses will mount, after all there are quite a few ways lenses mount to cameras.

I'm not so sure you will ever be able to mount "any" lens on this camera because of its one inch sensor.

sensors.jpg

Certainly, for the Insta360 One-R, off-the-shelf M12 lenses like we see on typical dash cams and action cameras won't be suitable. It is unlikely that C mount lenses would be practical either unless a suitable aftermarket mount could be devised to fit this thing and even then I'd be skeptical about how well they could function with a one inch sensor. The best I can tell looking at the lens modules for the Insta360 is that these are all proprietary LEICA engineered designs built specifically for this camera without any sort of standard specs or mounting schemes.

One photo I found of this camera shows it sporting a LEICA Super-Elmar-A ASPH (aspherical) lens. This would be the 5.3K 1-inch Wide Angle Mod co-engineered with LEICA to capture “a level of quality never before seen in an action cam". I'll bet it will! The Elmar is a lens series with an impressive heritage going back to the original Leitz Elmar ƒ/3.5 from 1925. The current LEICA Super-Elmar-M 21mm ƒ/3.4 ASPH is considered by many to be perhaps one of the finest ultra-wide angle lenses ever made! Then again, it costs well over three thousand dollars these days. To see a version of the Super-Elmar wide angle lens on an action camera like this blows my mind! Unlike the famous LEICA M mount which has been around since 1954, the Insta360 One-R lens in the photo is designated as "A". I'm not quite sure what that means yet. Maybe it just means "aspherical" but I'm not sure why they would also use that in addition to the ASPH designation and the "A" is in a place usually reserved for mount type. So, it "could" be a whole new class of LEICA miniature camera lenses which would be pretty cool. This designation appears unrelated to Sony's A mount lenses. All I know is that LEICA is not the kind of company to just slap a venerable name like Super-Elmar on an action camera lens just for the sake of marketing purposes. Any lens they put the name Super-Elmar on would be a worthy descendant of this legendary optical lineage.

Anyway, whether you will ever be able to mount any lens you want on the Insta360 One, the fact that you can purchase different modules suggests that if the camera is highly successful we may be seeing other focal length lens models made available in the future and having an interchangeable lens action camera with a nice selection of available focal lengths would be pretty cool.

elmar-a.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah i want to see it too before i believe it, i assume with a sensor that larger you also need some back focal length to spread your image out over such a large area.
Just read that Leica will be making a follow up to the B&W camera they made in 2012, they seem to have been selling well in spite of exuberant prices.
"This year, the Monochrom gets a redo based on the winning design of the M10. With a slimness that approaches that of Leica’s film bodies, along with a new 40-megapixel monochrome sensor and modern conveniences like wireless connectivity, the M10 Monochrom costs USD 8,295. "

06A4A4AB-71EC-4ABC-AB41-99FBD7EEB759-1400-000005A3474A2F2C-1024x683.jpeg

"The purpose-built black-and-white full frame sensor on the Leica M10 Monochrom is touted to deliver greater dynamic range and detail than conventional, comparable color sensors. "

Yeah, I've been drooling over the new Leica M10 Monochrom. And it's ONLY $8,295.00! But, shucks, that's for the body only, no lens. :wideyed: That's where you would add something like the aforementioned LEICA Super-Elmar-M 21mm ƒ/3.4 ASPH for a mere $3,295.00.

super-elmar.jpg

Then again, like in @kamkar1 's post above they often show the camera with the 35mm Sumilux-M ƒ/2.0 which costs about $5895.00. Or you could get the 28mm Sumilux-M 28 ƒ/1.4 for $6595.00. :giggle:

Anyway, that's what I find so amazing about a Super-Elmar optical design being available on the Insta360 One-R. It has to be the finest lens ever offered on an action camera. Not quite sure how they do it on a $600.00 camera but they do get a pretty good premium if you want that module on the unit. It may not be quite in the league of it's larger cousins with precision apertures, and all the built in electronics, high end machining and other refinements but I'm sure it is up there in performance.

Back to the Leica M10 Monochrom, it has a higher sensitivity to light than other Leica camera and can shoot up to 100,000 ISO.

16mm, f/8, 1/250 sec, ISO 40,000
grandcentralM10.jpg

Last edited:
The first many miles of 35MM i shot was all B&W, but it was nice ( free in school ) so just spool up new film in empty cartridge, and then develop and make the pictures in photo class ( before i got my home developing kit )
It is the way to learn photography i think, and everything you learn you can carry directly over into color photography.

I did about 4 X 36 pictures every week for quite a while, sadly all of those pictures and negatives have gone up in flame a long time ago.

The first many miles of 35MM i shot was all B&W, but it was nice ( free in school ) so just spool up new film in empty cartridge, and then develop and make the pictures in photo class ( before i got my home developing kit )
It is the way to learn photography i think, and everything you learn you can carry directly over into color photography.

I did about 4 X 36 pictures every week for quite a while, sadly all of those pictures and negatives have gone up in flame a long time ago.

I really agree about learning photography with film. A lot of kids today including many of the students I've had have no clue about how photography actually works. Shooting, developing and printing film makes you learn about exposure and tonal curves.
It fascinating and exciting to see Leica build a camera like the Monochrom as it is a direct throwback to the heritage of shooting B&W film on a Leica rangefinder. Sure wish I could afford one. :(

I would burn lotto money on something like that for sure.
I cant remember the model, but in school i shot with my parents Olympus camera, so must have been a early - mid 70ties model.
Also just had the one lens on it.

I would burn lotto money on something like that for sure.
I cant remember the model, but in school i shot with my parents Olympus camera, so must have been a early - mid 70ties model.
Also just had the one lens on it.

My first serious camera was a Leica IIIa that my mom gifted me when I was a teenager. It was her personal camera for many years that she wasn't really using anymore. Of course, it had the legendary 50mm ƒ/3.5 Elmar lens on it.

Leica IIIa.jpg

As far as Leica prices go these days you and I will probably have to make do with a couple of Leica Elmar T-shirts. :D

Leica-Elmar_t-shirt.jpg

or we could splurge and go for the Summicron. :smuggrin:

summicron.jpg

Last edited:
I think Insta360 ONE R is a remarkable camera. The 360 module competing with their own ONE X as well as GoPro MAX.
4K module competing with GoPro Hero8 and DJI Osmo Pocket
and 1-inch model competing with Sony RX0 II as stated.
And you don't need to get 3 separate devices. Great concept.
As I wanted to compare them, I put together a spec comparison overview if you are interested:
Insta360 ONE R - spec comparisons

Not much footage around from the 1" model, the two other plenty.
I think maybe 1" have been put back, what i have seen from it have been somewhat of a let down.

A lot of twin packages (360 & 4K) were sent out to reviewers and got a lot of attention. Some received the 1-inch but according to their statements it seemed not ready from the firmware side.
I think it’s a pity that there is no more price attractive twin package pro including 1-inch and 360 module. I would go for that one.

360 don't interest me before i can pick a flat 4K image from it, but the 1" i had high hopes for, maybe too high hopes. ( not that i am in the market for a camera the OA do fine for me )

I was also hoping for an 8K 360 module. Maybe a future development?
But I think as of today ONE R is a great concept. You can shoot 16:9 4K but you have the option for some creative 360 options with you. I hardly use my ONE as it is a separate device for those few opportunities.
I’m also curious what the 1” is capable of. I’d love to see a Sony RX0 II comparison

The twin package make a lot more sense than a gopro 8 black and a gopro max, which add up to about double the price, but far from 2X the performance.
I am not sure the SOC in the one R can support as much as 8K 360 footage

The new imaging processor ( spectra 480 ) in the new qualcomm chip on the other hand, that look like it could do 8K 360 with both hands tied on its back, actually it could do 2 X 25mp

Image Signal Processor: Qualcomm Spectra™ 480 image signal processor, Hardware accelerator for computer vision (CV-ISP), Dual 14-bit CV-ISPs
Dual Camera, ZSL, 30fps: Up to 25 MP
Single Camera, MFNR, ZSL, 30fps: Up to 64 MP
Single Camera: Up to 200 MP
Camera Features: HEIF photo capture
Slow Motion Video Capture: 720p @ 960 FPS
Video Capture Formats: Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10+, HEVC
Video Capture Features: 4K video capture with simultaneous 64MP photo capture, Rec. 2020 color gamut video capture, Up to 10-bit color depth video capture

Video:
Codec Support: Dolby Vision, H.265 (HEVC), HDR10+, HLG, HDR10, H.264 (AVC), VP8, VP9

I really do hope they keep the current modular system and add on modules. So I could imagine adding a Pro Core with better processor. And I would hope for a Pro package 1-inch and 8K dual lens.

8k might be interesting on paper but...
- incredible file size
- overheating?/battery life?
- I'd think 5.3/6k might be a reasonable top resolution but just to reframe up to 4k
- better to improve color depth or Dynamic range than scaling up (useless) resolution

After the first hype (i'd considered the One R purchase when it was released but cooled off now) i might consider the second iteration of the Insta360 One X (which I already have).
Should I choose an action camera, as of now, Gopro Hero 8 seems a better package (considering I have already the One X) the one R seems a nice concept but not very practical.
With the (mandatory cage+ battery) becomes a bit cumbersome.

Last edited:
Hehe just look at RED 8K cameras, about 15 X larger than a one R, and still it overheat, hell Linus or whatever the youtube channel is called put water cooling on their 8K RED camera.

Back