70MAI Pro custom firmware.

Do i have to update to cn file before the na for the hdr to work, or can I just go for the 1.0.7 v5 na and turn on hdr? I did the last, but the picture is quite dark now.
WDR/HDR option is available only in CN versions. And yes, it should look slightly darker when enabled.

It is exactly the same lightning. It is very dark with hdr on. I just installed the latest 1.0.7V5 na

That is Under the lockers. Look around in the roof. Its just that I have seen other videos with better hdr in dark enviroment.

Its just that I have seen other videos with better hdr in dark enviroment.
It's quite more complicated than just 'darker' or 'brighter'.

HDR on - highlights priority, less clipping in overexposured areas - good to use in a sunny day with deep shadows
HDR off - shadows priority, better motion blur, no ghosting HDR artefacts - good to use for scenes with narrow dynamic range like dusk or cloudiness

Last edited:
Ok, I see. Was just wondering if I could update directly to the 1.0.7 V5 or if I need to update to the 1.0.7 cn first?

Here is som new comparison pictures. The darkest is with HDR on.102704B7-212A-4001-BF96-DBC3DE5FFF62.jpeg
CF4F6F39-1148-4B52-85A6-EE368CCBF7E4.jpeg
E845D536-15A8-4828-86AF-50AA0CA37AC1.jpeg

Ok, so then this is normal. I was thinking I did not have HDR on in the dark. Thank you, Nutsey.

Hi nutsey
I love your work - thank you!
I wonder what would be your recommendation for a night-only scenario, where you only use the 70mai pro during the night, other than disabling WDR.
Since I am looking to capture as much details as possible, would it make sense to use the 1.07 + multipatch V05 or should I use the 1.07na and then using midriveTools.9.0 simply increase the bitrate and min/max VBR to your values?

Thank you again for everything you do! It's amazing!

Cheers

PS
Forgot to ask - what would be the best resolution to use at night, and what compression mode (265/264)?

Last edited:
I wonder what would be your recommendation for a night-only scenario, where you only use the 70mai pro during the night, other than disabling WDR.
what would be the best resolution to use at night, and what compression mode (265/264)?
I'm trying to improve low light performance with V6. Very anoyning thing is it has no 25 fps mode with HDR off in its cmos sensor driver (HiSilicon SDK bug), so I can't test it out thoroughly as I've got 50Hz electric mains and I experience some issues with flickering when adjusting exposures to anything shorter than 1/50s.

I'm trying to improve low light performance with V6. Very anoyning thing is it has no 25 fps mode with HDR off in its cmos sensor driver (HiSilicon SDK bug), so I can't test it out thoroughly as I've got 50Hz electric mains and I experience some issues with flickering when adjusting exposures to anything shorter than 1/50s.

Thank you, I will be happy to check V6, and to tell you how it works.
Meanwhile - if I need to use it at night would you recommend me to use your 1.07 + MultiPatch V5 or use the stock firmware?
Cheers!

Meanwhile - if I need to use it at night would you recommend me to use your 1.07 + MultiPatch V5 or use the stock firmware?
I believe V5 should be better. It could be slightly darker comparing to stock but that means less noise and/or less motion blur.

So... I tried the dashcam last night, compared it to a no-name Chinese brand which is using Novatek96658 Chipset and advanced Sony Exmor IMX323 sensor.

I was SHOCKED. The 70mai pro which has a better sensor almost didn't capture anything, while the no-name captured way more. I will do a full comparison this weekend when I will be taking both the cameras for a low light event, but for now I can only say that I'm utterly disappointed by the 70mai pro.

It could be of course the multipatch V5 that caused it - but even if it made the video a bit darker there is no excuse to the major difference.

My conclusion is that while the Sony sensor is the same, the image processing chip which this camera has is simply not good enough. It might have a lot of bell and whistles for other elements but for video processing it is crap when it comes to low light.

really sad!

So... I tried the dashcam last night, compared it to a no-name Chinese brand which is using Novatek96658 Chipset and advanced Sony Exmor IMX323 sensor.

I was SHOCKED. The 70mai pro which has a better sensor almost didn't capture anything, while the no-name captured way more. I will do a full comparison this weekend when I will be taking both the cameras for a low light event, but for now I can only say that I'm utterly disappointed by the 70mai pro.

It could be of course the multipatch V5 that caused it - but even if it made the video a bit darker there is no excuse to the major difference.

My conclusion is that while the Sony sensor is the same, the image processing chip which this camera has is simply not good enough. It might have a lot of bell and whistles for other elements but for video processing it is crap when it comes to low light.

really sad!
Fair comparison should be done with WDR/HDR off as IMX323 does not have this feature.

Fair comparison should be done with WDR/HDR off as IMX323 does not have this feature.

Of course I tried it with WDR off - and WDR is available in the firmware of the no-name Chinese. Really - the low-light performance is so bad that it must be the chipset. You can see it in all 70mai pro vs Viopro A119V3 comparisons.

Of course I tried it with WDR off - and WDR is available in the firmware of the no-name Chinese. Really - the low-light performance is so bad that it must be the chipset. You can see it in all 70mai pro vs Viopro A119V3 comparisons.

The 70mai pro WDR is 2-frame hardware sensor HDR. Your noname cam's WDR is a software filter used to improve details in shadows and highlights.

I don't need to see any stock fw comparisons :)

The 70mai pro WDR is 2-frame hardware sensor HDR. Your noname cam's WDR is a software filter used to improve details in shadows and highlights.

I don't need to see any stock fw comparisons :)

I know you don't need to test it - it's "enhanced" the same way fake 4K cameras that interpolated the image and claim to be 4K.
However, at the end of the day we are left with a device that has a very good sensor and a chipset with questionable maturity. This is not a new problem - I have seen a lot of Chinese chipset that came with horrific SDK or drivers which ended up with reduced performance. The amount of time I've seen Chinese manufacturers send devices with debug mode on is just staggering hahaha

Oh, one last point about h.265 vs h.264. According to conversation I have with CCTV expert who deployed a new system in our apartment block it seems that where I live (UK) insurers and court don't like h.265 encoding due to the artifacts in introduces. However, this seems to have been the case for IR cameras so I can't tell if it's valid in our case or not...

Thanks for your work man - really appreciated!
PS
If there is a possibility to change exposure via some changing values in the file I'll be happy to try to change it and report back!

Back