Disappointed with Viofo for Abandoning A129 Duo Owners

Mr. Semantics, the point is that if your dash board randomly flickered for 1/30th of a second, or for 3 seconds every 3 minutes, you'd be thoroughly annoyed. And would take your car to the dealer for diagnosis.

So cut the B.S. You get the analogy.
This is also a BS analogy. Yes, a flickering dash would be annoying, because it's always there in front of you being looked at. If you're constantly watching your dashcam instead of out the windshield, I hope that we're driving nowhere near each other. The dash is for live viewing, the dashcam is for getting evidence after the fact.

That is not honest!

Borat is as British as Monty Python!
At least he's 'reliable' and 'consistent' - he's wrong about everything. :D It also has nothing to do with Romania.

"Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan"

Mr. Semantics, the point is that if your dash board randomly flickered for 1/30th of a second, or for 3 seconds every 3 minutes, you'd be thoroughly annoyed. And would take your car to the dealer for diagnosis.

So cut the B.S. You get the analogy.
Still a bad analogy.

Who watches their recorded dashcam videos while driving?

Hell, the majority of users only view their recorded videos only after an incident.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ALL dashcams are fallible in one way or another. Dropped frames, duplicate frames, motion blur, compression artefacts, changes in WB or exposure, raindrops or splashes of mud on the windscreen, mount failure can all result in that single, vitally important frame being missed or not containing the information you desire. Not to mention the risks of card failure or power supply failure resulting in the camera not recording at all. Then there's user error such as aiming the lens the wrong way, leaving the lens cap on, forgetting to insert the memory card, or selecting inappropriate settings (yes - I've done all these).

If you're really worried about never ever missing a single frame - install a second camera

Random events like raindrops that prevent you seeing a frame are not compariable to the dashcam droping frames. The dashcam is basically a digital computer, no matter how random the frame drops are, there is a reason for a dropped frame and an underlying software bug or hardware issue that needs to be fixed. It can easily appear random because of the complexity of the whole system.

At least he's 'reliable' and 'consistent' - he's wrong about everything. :D It also has nothing to do with Romania.

"Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan"

Actually, some of it was filmed in Romania!

But the fact is that the only thing accurate about Kazakhstan in this film is the country’s position on the map. Even the language is misrepresented, as Borat’s name is spelled incorrectly and, as he did on Da Ali G Show, which introduced the Borat character, he speaks Hebrew as a stand-in for Kazakh. The isolated Romanian village of Glod had been picked to stand in for Borat’s home town – and Borat’s ‘neighbours’ are actually Roma, the people who Borat derides as “gypsies” throughout the rest of the movie.

The isolated Romanian village of Glod had been picked to stand in for Borat’s home town – and Borat’s ‘neighbours’ are actually Roma,
Missed that in the Widipedia article.

ALL dashcams are fallible in one way or another.

Exactly! Dash cams are basically modestly priced consumer gadgets (i.e. a printed circuit board, screen and lens screwed into a plastic housing) On almost every manufacturing level they have far more in common with the average Gameboy than they do with "real" cameras that are generally built to much higher standards. And these products are intended for use for extended periods of time in otherwise very challenging automotive environments with shocks, vibrations and often rapid and extreme temperature changes.

Still, in my ten years of experience with dash cams (dozens) they have come a long way towards increased performance and reliability. Nevertheless, I can't think of another class of product that is as fraught with glitches, problems, failures and frustrations as dash cams. To purchase a dash cam, regardless of price, is to expect issues of one sort or another, occasional disppointment and often quite a lot of periodic or even ongoing troubleshooting.

In the scheme of things with dash cams, the chances of a few random or periodic individual dropped or doubled frames ruining your ability to capture actionable evidence is inconsequential. All this table pounding, literally for months now, about something as trivial as a few dropped frames here and there from an otherwise well designed, well built, and basically well supported camera is sheer lunacy. It suggests unrealistic expectations and an unreasonable sense of entitlement given the nature and price range of this class of products.

Last edited:
Last edited:

You're reliably incompetent.... Borat was filmed in Glod, Romania....Reading is obviously beyond your simple minded comprehension.. Notice I said Borat and Not Sascha Baron Cohen. Google Maps should help you understand geography.

ALL dashcams are fallible in one way or another. Dropped frames, duplicate frames, motion blur, compression artefacts, changes in WB or exposure, raindrops or splashes of mud on the windscreen, mount failure can all result in that single, vitally important frame being missed or not containing the information you desire. Not to mention the risks of card failure or power supply failure resulting in the camera not recording at all. Then there's user error such as aiming the lens the wrong way, leaving the lens cap on, forgetting to insert the memory card, or selecting inappropriate settings (yes - I've done all these).

If you're really worried about never ever missing a single frame - install a second camera

I can't argue with the second camera advice. I was merely pointed out that if a video appears choppy or stuttering, an argument could be made the video has been "edited". So having a smooth playback is idea.

And yes, a second camera eliminates both the possibility of "editing argument" and missed footage. I've been considering a second camera since the Front + Rear don't offer a 360 degree view. I know some use a Cabin Camera to capture the sides.

This is also a BS analogy. Yes, a flickering dash would be annoying, because it's always there in front of you being looked at. If you're constantly watching your dashcam instead of out the windshield, I hope that we're driving nowhere near each other. The dash is for live viewing, the dashcam is for getting evidence after the fact.

People don't always have screen timeout set and could be watching their camera periodically to ensure it's properly recording. Taking their eyes off the road for a brief moment. I have mine set to screen timeout, but periodically hit the button to turn on screen, and spot check it's recording.

And you shouldn't be constantly looking at your Dash, but looking forward. Other than to briefly check your speed on newer vehicles, eyes should be front and center.

Ultimately, both problems (Camera Dropping / Duping Frames + Dash Flicker) would be a software or hardware issue. Whole point of my analogy.

Last edited:
Missed that in the Widipedia article.

Widipedia....Sigh... You missed a lot of things like spell check, learning to read, not being a smart ass, and recognizing your attempts at humor fall flat, because you were wrong..

Random events like raindrops that prevent you seeing a frame are not compariable to the dashcam droping frames. The dashcam is basically a digital computer, no matter how random the frame drops are, there is a reason for a dropped frame and an underlying software bug or hardware issue that needs to be fixed. It can easily appear random because of the complexity of the whole system.

+1. Both are a software or hardware issue. Which is what I was trying to convey in the first place....At least someone gets a simple reference.

Is Borat still a thing or is he making a comeback? I feel like with all this Borat talk that I stepped back in time 10 years

Exactly! Dash cams are basically modestly priced consumer gadgets (i.e. a printed circuit board, screen and lens screwed into a plastic housing) On almost every manufacturing level they have far more in common with the average Gameboy than they do with "real" cameras that are generally built to much higher standards. And these products are intended for use for extended periods of time in otherwise very challenging automotive environments with shocks, vibrations and often rapid and extreme temperature changes.

Still, in my ten years of experience with dash cams (dozens) they have come a long way towards increased performance and reliability. Nevertheless, I can't think of another class of product that is as fraught with glitches, problems, failures and frustrations as dash cams. To purchase a dash cam, regardless of price, is to expect issues of one sort or another, occasional disppointment and often quite a lot of periodic or even ongoing troubleshooting.

In the scheme of things with dash cams, the chances of a few random or periodic individual dropped or doubled frames ruining your ability to capture actionable evidence is inconsequential. All this table pounding, literally for months now, about something as trivial as a few dropped frames here and there from an otherwise well designed, well built, and basically well supported camera is sheer lunacy. It suggests unrealistic expectations and an unreasonable sense of entitlement given the nature and price range of this class of products.

The original post started with @gabilondo77 pointed out some issues. I actually noticed some of these problems prior but wrote them off as occasional glitches. My accident video appears to have a stutter in recording at one point. Which is when I first noticed an issue. And after @gabilondo77 pointed out the dropped frames / dupe frame every 92 frames, I began checking other videos.

I get it. We're talking a "low end camera" meant to record our daily driving. Not to create Hollywood Level cinematography. I guess the best argument is people would like glitches addressed, since the perception is the problems are software related.

V 1.11 didn't have dropped or duped frames. Once support for parking mode was added, a bug was introduced into the SDK and continues to permeate through all recent firmwares.

None the less, yes, it isn't life altering or changing. But it is an annoyance that these concerns are sidelined in favor of the A129 Pro. Which til present, doesn't suffer the same issues. However, without knowing why or how the problems were introduced, could reappear at any time in later models an firmwares.

Is Borat still a thing or is he making a comeback? I feel like with all this Borat talk that I stepped back in time 10 years

I made a joke and people obviously felt the need to start psychoanalyzing how I was wrong and misinformed. Until of course, they learned the power of Google.

Back on topic. See above post.

The original post started with @gabilondo77 pointed out some issues. I actually noticed some of these problems prior but wrote them off as occasional glitches. My accident video appears to have a stutter in recording at one point. Which is when I first noticed an issue. And after @gabilondo77 pointed out the dropped frames / dupe frame every 92 frames, I began checking other videos.

I get it. We're talking a "low end camera" meant to record our daily driving. Not to create Hollywood Level cinematography. I guess the best argument is people would like glitches addressed, since the perception is the problems are software related.

V 1.11 didn't have dropped or duped frames. Once support for parking mode was added, a bug was introduced into the SDK and continues to permeate through all recent firmwares.

None the less, yes, it isn't life altering or changing. But it is an annoyance that these concerns are sidelined in favor of the A129 Pro. Which til present, doesn't suffer the same issues. However, without knowing why or how the problems were introduced, could reappear at any time in later models an firmwares.

Although I never actually mentioned your name in my post it is interesting to see your reaction and response to it. Then again, the fact of the matter is that as the OP, THIS is your thread and you initiated it all the way back on September 24th, 2019 and amazingly you are basically STILL at it four months later! Although I do appreciate that you find the issue to be an "annoyance" as you now put it, the problem is trivial, as I mentioned above. Harping about a such a minor "bug" for going on four months now, all the while vilifying a well respected developer like Viofo or even disparaging others who are not quite so rankled as you about the problem has frankly become far more of an "annoyance" than the dropped/dupped frame bug itself! It is not clear at this point what you hope to accomplish the longer you choose to dwell on this issue.

Anyway, speaking of disparaging others, DCT is governed by a set of rules, including rule #9 : "Since this an international forum, "bashing" of any nation, people, individuals, ethnic groups, race or minorities is prohibited".

Honestly, the only thing notable that has come out of Romania are the hilarious moments from Borat.

It strikes me that your comment is a likely violation of that rule.

As it happens, quite a few interesting things have "come out of" Romania. FYI, aside from being an interesting feature film location, Romania is noted for a wide range of important inventions and contributions to the fields of medicine, engineering, aviation, aerodynamics, optics and other fields, including the invention of the quadcopter, the reaction engine (the rocket engine and the turbojet), the ejection seat, insulin, cervical cancer screening and the fountain pen, among others.

Last edited:
One thing that always amuses me, is if anyone moans about any dashcam, no matter who makes it, and they jump on a forum griping about, it's better to have one than not.

If you only buy one model and moan like f**k, then don't even bother buying one, do without, like the other 60% of the population manage to do without., but don't bore us all whining. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mtz
Back