Best 256gb sd card for A129 duo?

Kicker0927

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just wondering which 256gb card everyone has had the best luck with in the A129 duo? I’ve heard the Samsung EVO Select and the Sandisk Ultra A1, but the Samsung is a U3 and the Sandisk is a U1?

SanDisk High Endurance or Samsung EVO Select (or EVO Plus). I no longer recommend the SanDisk Ultra A1.

Awesome...I wasn’t sure about using a Sandisk High Endurance in a can that isn’t 4K. I just picked one up on Amazon. Thanks guys!

I use the Sandisk A2 Extreme 256GB (V30). I have two A129 cameras and the cards have worked perfectly. No freezes or hiccups what so ever.

A poor card compared to Sandisk High Endurance.

You better go for SanDisk High Endurance just $49 on Amazon.

enjoy,
Mtz

Write and read are faster than Endurance...How do you figure?

Not so important for dashcams. The best answer was giving by 2 people already, you now are just confusing the people by adding parameters which are not useful in this situation.

Not so important for dashcams. The best answer was giving by 2 people already, you now are just confusing the people by adding parameters which are not useful in this situation.

.....Read and Write are definitely important factors. Plus the A2 Extreme is a U3 V30. Where do you come up with your answers?

Let's think that A129 Pro 4K Ultra HD have 60 mbps video bitrate. This means just 7.5 MBps. Even U1 is more than enough as write speed.
If A129 Full HD have about 20 mbps bitrate this meant just 2.5 MBps. Even an old class 6 card is enough for A129. But with old cards the big problem is their poor quality.

People should not buy cards for dashcams based on Write or Read speed but based on their endurance, based on the manufacturer recommendation which must say that the card is good for dashcams and video surveillance. Reading the numbers, people will see Sequential Write Performance = 60MBps for Extreme and just 40MBps for High Endurance. So just based on speed performance they will buy the wrong card because the Extreme is not recommended for dashcams as the High Endurance is.

SanDisk® High Endurance microSD™ card gives you the peace of mind that your dash cam, home monitoring or security system will capture crucial footage when it happens

I am happy the user already ordered the correct card and your advice for a poorer card was too late for him.

Example of recommendation:
Card designed to work in dashcams: Sandisk High Endurance, Western Digital WD Purple, etec
Card which can work OK in a dashcam but not guaranteed by the manufacturer: Samsung Evo Plus, Sandisk Extreme, etc
If user wants to buy a not guaranteed card is their choice, but not giving the correct answer is sending him without his fault on the way of wasting money and hopes and creating problems to the dashcam manufacturers.

Let's think that A129 Pro 4K Ultra HD have 60 mbps video bitrate. This means just 7.5 MBps. Even U1 is more than enough as write speed.
If A129 Full HD have about 20 mbps bitrate this meant just 2.5 MBps. Even an old class 6 card is enough for A129. But with old cards the big problem is their poor quality.

Except these are dual channels being written simultaneously....And plenty of people have used the Sandisk Ultra without issues. Your point?

People should not buy cards for dashcams based on Write or Read speed but based on their endurance, based on the manufacturer recommendation which must say that the card is good for dashcams and video surveillance. Reading the numbers, people will see Sequential Write Performance = 60MBps for Extreme and just 40MBps for High Endurance. So just based on speed performance they will buy the wrong card because the Extreme is not recommended for dashcams as the High Endurance is.

So because Sandisk says the words "High Endurance" and Dash Cam in their marketing, no other card fits the bill? The Sandisk Ultra don't mention High Endurance or Dash Cam, and neither does the Sandisk A2 Extreme. And guess what? Both cards work fine! I've been running 2 x Sandisk A2 Extremes (128 & 256GB) in two vehicles. Not a hiccup in the past year.....I care more about reliability than Marketing!

I am happy the user already ordered the correct card and your advice for a poorer card was too late for him.

Ya... my advice is terrible.. O the horror and agony. The card I recommended works without a single issue. So whether he uses my suggestion or the Endurance, he'll probably get the same results.

Example of recommendation:
Card designed to work in dashcams: Sandisk High Endurance, Western Digital WD Purple, etec
Card which can work OK in a dashcam but not guaranteed by the manufacturer: Samsung Evo Plus, Sandisk Extreme, etc
If user wants to buy a not guaranteed card is their choice, but not giving the correct answer is sending him without his fault on the way of wasting money and hopes and creating problems to the dashcam manufacturers.

Ok.....See Above.

That's cool that they've worked for you. Really, it's awesome.

However, the high endurance cards are designed to have a higher durability when it comes to read/write cycles, which is the most important spec when it comes to devices of this type.

Leave it up to the user purchasing the card to make the determination. Feel free to give anecdotal evidence, but please, don't mistake that for how it does, and has, worked for everyone.

That's cool that they've worked for you. Really, it's awesome.

However, the high endurance cards are designed to have a higher durability when it comes to read/write cycles, which is the most important spec when it comes to devices of this type.

Everyone has an opinion, and quite frankly, you can take yours and shove it =).

The card I suggested works fine. Works in Two Cameras FOR ALMOST A YEAR, NO FREEZING. Not Anecdotal. - Buy a dictionary and look up Big Words before you try to use them. They don't make you look smart if you don't understand their definition. Because Anecdotal implies the scenario is isolated and cannot be replicated.

Leave it up to the user purchasing the card to make the determination. Feel free to give anecdotal evidence, but please, don't mistake that for how it does, and has, worked for everyone.

Hilarious...Here you are telling this guy what to buy (High Endurance), then stating leave it up to the purchaser.....Hypocrite.

Last edited:
Just so we're on the same page: anecdotal means "from personal experience." You can't extrapolate from a single person's personal experience.

As for the 2nd part, I advocated for giving the purchaser all applicable information, and then allowing to choose based upon that information. That seems pretty reasonable to me. Nowhere did I say "buy this." I said "this is an important specification." You might want to read it again.

But again, you're barging ahead, resisting any other viewpoints but your own and refusing to believe that your reality and experience isn't universal. That's not the first time we've seen that in this forum.

Definition of anecdotal

1 : based on or consisting of reports or observations of usually unscientific observers

Source - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anecdotal

---------------------------------------------------------------------
anecdotal
[ an-ik-doht-l, an-ik-doht-l ]

based on personal observation, case study reports, or random investigations rather than systematic scientific evaluation:

Source - https://www.dictionary.com/browse/anecdotal

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anecdotal
adjective

/ˌæn·ɪkˈdoʊ·t̬əl/

based on reports or things someone saw rather than on proven facts:

Source - https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/anecdotal

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
anecdotal
adjective
US /ˌænəkˈdoʊt(ə)l/
DEFINITIONS1

1. based on someone’s personal experience or information rather than on facts that can be checked

Source - https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/anecdotal

Everyone has an opinion, and quite frankly, you can take yours and shove it =).

The card I suggested works fine. Works in Two Cameras FOR ALMOST A YEAR, NO FREEZING. Not Anecdotal. - Buy a dictionary and look up Big Words before you try to use them. They don't make you look smart if you don't understand their definition. Because Anecdotal implies the scenario is isolated and cannot be replicated.

Hilarious...Here you are telling this guy what to buy (High Endurance), then stating leave it up to the purchaser.....Hypocrite.

It is appalling to witness your chronically abusive behavior towards anyone and everyone who happens to have a different opinion or may happen to disagree with you. What is worse about your vituperative behavior is that more often than not you have no idea what you are talking about!

Many of us long time DCT members who have been using dash cams for years and have hands-on experience with literally dozens of cameras and numerous brands and types memory cards know all too well that Sandisk microSD cards are problematic. The SanDisk Ultra in particular is widely known to be failure prone in dash cams. You'll find dozens of posts about this all throughout DCT going all that way back to almost when the site first went live. These cards can last quite a long time and work well but they have the nasty little habit of suddenly flipping into read only mode when you least expect it and then you've got a camera that ceases to record. Newer SanDisk cards like the Extreme you are so enamored with may have greater speed and durability but they too can be problematic when used for long periods of time in looped recording surveillance devices and dash cams. Cards that can suddenly and unexpectedly fail are the very last thing you want in a mission critical device like a dash cam and they should be avoided.

The fact that, so far, you have had a positive anecdotal experience for a year with the SanDisk Extreme card is nice to hear but completely meaningless. That card is designed for video capture in devices such as action cameras or smartphones but definately not made for dash cam use. Much like the Ultra card it could fail on you when you least expect it. Your SanDisk Extreme cards "might" last for years or they could go belly up tomorrow morning and THAT is why you want a durable memory card specifically suited for dash cam use, especially for the new class of higher resolution dual channel devices.

SanDisk has been well aware that certain of their memory card products tend to fail in dash cameras. For this very reason they re-worded their warranty terms several years ago to specifically exclude coverage for their memory cards if used in dash cams with the exception of the High Endurance.

sandisk_warranty.jpg

Last edited:
You have got to be kidding us... Your experience does not count as "fact" or "research." You had no control group, did not compare your results against the non-existent control group, you did not verify, retest and validate results. Saying "Hey guys, this is what happened when I used this card!" is exactly the definition of anecdotal evidence. It doesn't matter what part of the definition you bold.

Seriously, friend, you're coming across bad here. You're arguing with people who have lots more experience than either of us are likely to have. You continue to dig in your heels when anyone says something even slightly at odds with your beliefs.

I'm beginning to think that we all might be better off with a judicious application of the board's ignore setting...

You have got to be kidding us... Your experience does not count as "fact" or "research." You had no control group, did not compare your results against the non-existent control group, you did not verify, retest and validate results. Saying "Hey guys, this is what happened when I used this card!" is exactly the definition of anecdotal evidence. It doesn't matter what part of the definition you bold.

Seriously, friend, you're coming across bad here. You're arguing with people who have lots more experience than either of us are likely to have. You continue to dig in your heels when anyone says something even slightly at odds with your beliefs.

I'm beginning to think that we all might be better off with a judicious application of the board's ignore setting...

The card works, it doesn't freeze, and no one has complained about compatibility issues. - Pretty sure if there was an issue, there would be people complaining...But hey, let's just ASSUME nothing works and then NO ONE EVER makes a suggestion on the board. As to put it in your terms, SUGGESTIONS aren't facts.

Better yet, every time you speak or offer an unsubstantiated suggestion, I'll play devil's advocate. I demand a government funded study validating everything you say.

1. Control Group
2. Regular Group

Because as you want to put it, if it can't be proven without "research" it's not true. And I'm going to guess, everything you say is magically accurate. I DEMAND ACCREDITED & PEER REVIEWED proof on any statement you make. Or as Trump says, It's fake News. Tell ya what, I'll do one better. Adding you to ignore.

AS OF TODAY:
DASHCAMTALK is shut down. @Andy McKay says WE CANNOT make suggestions here based upon personal experience or a track record of not having problems. Therefore, please apply for Grant, write a peer reviewed paper, and cite said research before posting on this forum. Per @Andy McKay

Last edited:
Again, it worked for you. And that's awesome. It really is.

But again, you're ignoring even WHAT THE MANUFACTURER SAYS. Why would SanDisk specifically exclude usage in a dashcam from their warranty coverage if they saw no issue with it? Are you telling us that you know better than they do?

As for playing devil's advocate with my posts, that's not a shock, because you argue with pretty much everyone who posts on here. You're constantly having contentious exchanges with everyone. Is everyone else wrong all the time? Take a breather man, you'll feel better.

Back