A129pro Reboot on starting car.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Most of the time when i start the car the pro reboots. cam is hardwired with the viofo kit and my old a129 non pro version was fine and didnt reboot on start up on the same wired kit. Boot delay makes no difference.

Mine reboots several times on car start up, sometimes the screen is flickering, occasionally the cam freezes and has to be unplugged, that usually fixes the freezing. Getting a little worried that these Pro's are a bit of a dud, never had a problem with the Vanilla A129 duo. I have formated the card Samsung Evo 64gb and reset the settings to default.

Mine reboots several times on car start up, sometimes the screen is flickering, occasionally the cam freezes and has to be unplugged, that usually fixes the freezing. Getting a little worried that these Pro's are a bit of a dud, never had a problem with the Vanilla A129 duo. I have formated the card Samsung Evo 64gb and reset the settings to default.
That is almost certainly because it is not getting enough power, it needs more power than standard A129.

What are you using to provide the power?

Most of the time when i start the car the pro reboots. cam is hardwired with the viofo kit and my old a129 non pro version was fine and didnt reboot on start up on the same wired kit. Boot delay makes no difference.
This is also partly due to the higher power consumption, but I'm hoping for an improvement with the next firmware update.

Using the 12v aux power on the console, used viofo own USB adapter and my own, still same result.

Try tying into a 20 AMP fuse. Power Seats are a great option for Battery. ACC could be 12V socket, Heated Seats, etc.

Try tying into a 20 AMP fuse. Power Seats are a great option for Battery. ACC could be 12V socket, Heated Seats, etc.
As long as the fuse is big enough not to blow then it will make no difference!
A 1 Amp fuse should be enough.

It is important to use both original charger (not a previous standard A129 charger) and the original USB cable (not a standard A129 USB cable).

As long as the fuse is big enough not to blow then it will make no difference!
A 1 Amp fuse should be enough.

It is important to use both original charger (not a previous standard A129 charger) and the original USB cable (not a standard A129 USB cable).

Of course.

I took his post to mean it's installed properly. Meaning he didn't recycle the hardware kit from the old A129 Duo. If that's the case, then we know the issue right off the bat. If that's not the case, others stated the power draw might be an issue. I can't confirm, as I don't own the Pro, but power seats are usually a good fuse that offers a 20amp fuse.

All viofo Pro cables used and power going to the camera not the base

Did you install a BRAND NEW hardwiring kit meant for the A129 Pro or are you recycling the Old USB Cabling + Hardwiring kit from the A129 Duo?

Its into the 12 outlet I haven't used my old HW kit from my duo...ALL PRO cables used :)

Of course.

I took his post to mean it's installed properly. Meaning he didn't recycle the hardware kit from the old A129 Duo. If that's the case, then we know the issue right off the bat. If that's not the case, others stated the power draw might be an issue. I can't confirm, as I don't own the Pro, but power seats are usually a good fuse that offers a 20amp fuse.
I am using a viofo 3 wire hardwire kit which i used on the old A129 duo (non pro) that i had before i bought the pro. Is there a different hardwire kit for the pro? If so what is the difference, how can you tell the difference between the kits?

I am using a viofo 3 wire hardwire kit which i used on the old A129 duo (non pro) that i had before i bought the pro. Is there a different hardwire kit for the pro? If so what is the difference, how can you tell the difference between the kits?
There is no difference. They updated the 12V cigarette power supply for the Pro though.

There is no difference. They updated the 12V cigarette power supply for the Pro though.
ahh rite, i thought they may have changed the hk3 kit to suit the pro. so not that causing the reboot...

That is almost certainly because it is not getting enough power, it needs more power than standard A129.

What are you using to provide the power?

This is also partly due to the higher power consumption, but I'm hoping for an improvement with the next firmware update.
seems strange as it still does it even if i reduce the resolution down to 1080p. the non pro was fine.

Nigel Claimed Differently in a past thread that I posted: Stating the A129 Pro had it's own GPS Mount and HK3 Kit....Don't own the Pro so can't say for certain.

Rear camera does not have GPS! Only the front mount needs to be swapped, and only if the GPS does not work. The cable to the front mount still works so it is not a big issue.

If you try your HK3 then you will find out if the audio noise is acceptable or not, probably it is whichever version you have. Only if you are not happy with the noise do you need to consider a replacement HK3.

Summary:
  • You can just swap the front camera, then if the GPS doesn't work you also swap the front GPS mount.
  • There is a small possibility of some noise on the audio which some people may find annoying and which can be cured with a new HK3.

Nigel Claimed Differently in a past thread that I posted: Stating the A129 Pro had it's own GPS Mount and HK3 Kit....Don't own the Pro so can't say for certain.

GPS mount for the regular A129 and Pro are the same. Did they make some internal changes to the GPS mount before the Pro came out so it would compatible to both models, I'm not sure. I'm not aware of any changes. The HK3 kit was updated awhile back to fix a noise a few users were experiencing. This was not a change for the Pro though, just a general improvement of the kit. The 12V car adapter was updated to provide a little more power for the Pro.

seems strange as it still does it even if i reduce the resolution down to 1080p. the non pro was fine.
Because it uses more power than the standard, the capacitors don't last as long, so the firmware shuts it down sooner than the standard A129 firmware.
I think it shuts down too soon, and long before the capacitors run out of power, so I think it can be improved with a firmware update.

Until there is a firmware update, your only other option is to connect it to a different power source which doesn't turn off while you are starting the engine. I have mine connected to the engine control unit fuse, which has the advantage of having a 3 minute delay after turning off the ignition, so it even keeps it running while filling up with fuel.

The mount, power adaptor, USB cable and hardwire kit were all updated a while before the A129 Pro was released in order to work with all cameras including the A129 Pro. The old hardwire kits did work OK, but they could cause a little noise on the audio recording.

I forgot to mention its an electric car, the camera starts to fire up as soon as I open my door, and the red light flashes very quickly sometimes, the same as A firmware update.

Back