Hardwire Kit and Key Fob Range

Yes the block, i assume if there are any RF noise it should come from there.
Okay, I will try that.

1. Your ground wire is fine. It's hooked to a screw with a metal backing. A+

2. Very easy to test: Walk X distance (same as parking lot) and test your vehicle's keyfob. Now, Ttake the black Box, undo the twist tie, and move it away from the fuse box. Test to see if KeyFob works better.

A. If KeyFob works better - Great.. You'll need to put the hardwiring kit fuse cutoff (black box) in another location.
B. If that doesn't work, test the fuses I suggested.
Okay, will do.

possibly unrelated to the issue but the ground point there is not good, look for the factory ground point which most likely will be somewhere nearby the rear of the fuse panel, you'll know it when you see it as there will be a few earth cables terminated together
I tried to look for a ground point, can't say I'm an expect at looking for it. I took a look behind the fuse panel, and see the cables coming out of it, but it goes behind another panel that I can't tell how to remove it. Looking around, I don't really see any other places I can attach the ground. I don't see any screws I can loosen to attach the ground, and only other things I see that I may be able to remove are nuts, but the bolt or whatever attached to it looks like it's too big for the ground. Any recommendations? I can move the ground to the other side where the screw goes through the metal frame, but wouldn't know how to get it to stay though.

Thanks

I'll ask our tech if he knows where the factory ground point is on your car, he just stepped out of the office so it might be 30 minutes or so before I can check

edit, scratch that, he just walked back in the office, there's a ground point behind the brown plastic kick panel cover down below the fuse panel

it won't power on without a ground, a poor ground can lead to voltage sag which can lead to stability issues

OK. So I think I understand your point now. Using a screw with a metal backing might work initially, but if the screw is mounted through plastic trim, the screw has potential for becoming loose over time. Meaning, it could cause the camera to receive voltage spikes or act erratically, if the ground remains in place but "loose". Correct?

loose ground isn't good, when screwed through plastic the contact area is really only the screw threads so less surface area and a poor ground, grounding things at one point stops ground loop interference also

[QUOTE="zephiris, post: 501388, member: 8557]

I tried to look for a ground point, can't say I'm an expect at looking for it. I took a look behind the fuse panel, and see the cables coming out of it, but it goes behind another panel that I can't tell how to remove it. Looking around, I don't really see any other places I can attach the ground. I don't see any screws I can loosen to attach the ground, and only other things I see that I may be able to remove are nuts, but the bolt or whatever attached to it looks like it's too big for the ground. Any recommendations? I can move the ground to the other side where the screw goes through the metal frame, but wouldn't know how to get it to stay though.

Thanks
[/QUOTE]

I believe that I did exactly as you did, as I couldn't find a frame screw on my Volvo S60. The area all around the fuse box is plastic with no viable body screws.

IF I UNDERSTAND PROPERLY what @jokiin is saying, plastic can vibrate and screws can loosen in plastic over time. Giving a bad ground or causing surges. So he advocates a body screw to eliminate these chances. And that a body screw offers full, proper, grounding Good to know.

I won't lie, I'll accept the risk as I peered under my carpet and there's zero viable body screws without having to probably get behind all the plastic fuse box housing or ripping carpet. =(.

I'll ask our tech if he knows where the factory ground point is on your car, he just stepped out of the office so it might be 30 minutes or so before I can check

edit, scratch that, he just walked back in the office, there's a ground point behind the brown plastic kick panel cover down below the fuse panel

The only part that I see is brown (other than some strands of brown wire) is behind the panel in a place that it's hard to get to, and it just looks like it's a clip.
1581035381605.png

Right below the panel looks like this:
1581035463343.png
1581035482902.png

Can't say for certain, but I'm guess it's that black panel in the images? If it is, I don't know the proper way to remove that panel.

[QUOTE="zephiris, post: 501388, member: 8557]

Thanks

I believe that I did exactly as you did, as I couldn't find a frame screw on my Volvo S60. The area all around the fuse box is plastic with no viable body screws.

IF I UNDERSTAND PROPERLY what @jokiin is saying, plastic can vibrate and screws can loosen in plastic over time. Giving a bad ground or causing surges. So he advocates a body screw to eliminate these chances. And that a body screw offers full, proper, grounding Good to know.

I won't lie, I'll accept the risk as I peered under my carpet and there's zero viable body screws without having to probably get behind all the plastic fuse box housing or ripping carpet. =(.
[/QUOTE]
The other part I don't really understand is can the range vary if the car just sat in a parking lot at different times during the, with varying numbers of cars around. I've seen the range being far and half that the same day, without moving the car, and with the range being farther when there are about the same number of cars around, possibly more. I suppose that as other cars drive through the lot, it can cause some kind of vibration that can loosen the screw over time, but wouldn't explain the varying range, or at least in my mine.

the ground point is behind this cover, you need to take it off to access it (maybe it's Grey, not sure)

cover.png

The other part I don't really understand is can the range vary if the car just sat in a parking lot at different times during the, with varying numbers of cars around. I've seen the range being far and half that the same day, without moving the car, and with the range being farther when there are about the same number of cars around, possibly more. I suppose that as other cars drive through the lot, it can cause some kind of vibration that can loosen the screw over time, but wouldn't explain the varying range, or at least in my mine.
range can be affected when parking mode is on, don't expect to be able to unlock your car from a long distance regardless

the ground point is behind this cover, you need to take it off to access it (maybe it's Grey, not sure)

View attachment 50506

range can be affected when parking mode is on, don't expect to be able to unlock your car from a long distance regardless
I was afraid that was the panel. I would need to find some way to pull that off.

Curious on a 2015 Volvo S60 (mounted on passenger side and hardwired fuse box), where is the mount point?

there's a couple of clips and it tucks under the door rubber so you need to pull that back
I think I know which part of the door rubber you are referring to, since that's where I ran the wire down to there. When I tried to pull the panel off, in the direction of from the front to the back of my car, it doesn't seem to want to come off. There's seems to be a bit of plastic from that panel that goes into the frame of the car. It's that one hole in the image you drew the arrow, just a little above it.

I can't pull it towards the passenger side since the front cover release is there.

there are two clips that need to be removed also
Are there pictures with directions on what to do anywhere, or a video? I tried to search for it, but not knowing what that panel is called is making it hard to find.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z SGGCX2PRO & SGGCX2PRO+ 8
Back