Speed Camera updates ?

152bobby

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 2CH 622GW/Nextbase 422GW/Thinkware F200 2 CH Pro
Just a quick question please.

When I have my F200 connected to WiFi in the car to view some footage, will the speed camera updates be done ? Or do I still have to take the SD card out now and then and put it in my laptop ...blah blah blah ?

And if I do have to take it out, how often do people typically update these ?

Thanks

Really to me the updates should come live when you are connected to the camera, BUT ! not knowing for sure i would fear they come as part of a firmware maybe APP update,,,,,, which are just all wrong in my eyes.

But lets wee what Thinkware owners have to say.

You can update the speed camera data via the app or using the microSD card from your device (It will not automatically update by itself.) Speed camera data is typically updated twice a year.

Great if it can be done via the app when in car when the dashcam is connected to my phone via WiFi.

Where is this the the app settings ?

I would assume down at the bottom of the menu tree, where you also often find update firmware, so make sense to me at least to have update speed camera around the same place.
In the APP i would assume ti to be down low in the settings too.

Actually i think ( assume ) with your phone and APP now you can DL the latest camera update, and then later upon connecting to the camera you can install that.
CUZ i dont think you have / can be connected to the camera with wifi and then DL the camera update too, though of course just now come to think you probably cam via your mobile data, and that update should not be in a large file so that way should be no problem.

BUT ! guessing here i have no personal experience with thinkware cameras.

Great if it can be done via the app when in car when the dashcam is connected to my phone via WiFi.

Where is this the the app settings ?
My apologies, I just realized you had an F200. This is only available on models with hotspot capabilities. You will have to update the speed cam data via your Micro SD card. Sorry for the confusion. :cry:

At least I know for sure, it's the only way. Thanks.

You can update the speed camera data via the app or using the microSD card from your device (It will not automatically update by itself.) Speed camera data is typically updated twice a year.

Where would the option be in the phone app to update the speed cameras?

No for this model you have to download the smartguidepoint.dx2 file from Thinkware.com and place that file inside the 'driveinfo' folder on the memory card (Just overwrite the file in there if there is one) Pop the card back in the camera and job done. Please note there aren't any verbal messages about the update taking place it happens in the background.

Hi,

Just checking that since I last asked this question, nothing has changed ? The speed camera updates still can only be done for my F200 by removing the SD card and using a pc/laptop ?

Scuppered if you don't own or have access to a pc/laptop !! Lots of people have Android tablets etc

Yes times have changed, many dont have have a PC today, which i dont understand myself as a hardcore PC guy that feel a 13" laptop screen are OMG so small.

Lots of people now have only phones and that should be considered. But it's also important that buyers of a product know if they're going to need a specific non-supplied part to make it work, and that issue is on the buyer to find out. For instance the old Mobius, which initially required a windows PC to access it's full functionality but could also be used without that. You also have to supply your own PS and mount for that cam., but there is a phone app for it now :) All this info can easily be found so persons considering a Mobius who look at any depth will know all these things before buying.

As I see it, the big issue in going to phone apps compatibility in that Android has so many variations that it's nearly impossible to make a complex (or even a basic) app work with all of them, and there's IOS apps to be built as well. My old phone could hardly run anything. My new phone is better but in a year or two will not be given consideration of app developers because of it's design age :cry: Especially Andriod needs to settle on and require one specific way to build phones and tablets so that one app will work for all of them from that point onward, but nobody's doing that, and one can't fault a cam manufacturer for Android's failings.

I do understand the OP's pain and disappointment as I've suffered from inaccessibility too, only in a different way. Especially when I was told by a cam manufacturer that a tablet I went out and purchased based on their reccomendation would work with their app but it didn't :eek: The Android version number was fine, but the exact variation I had wasn't :mad: I had no other need for the tablet so my money was essentially wasted :(

tldr:
All I can suggest to the OP is that they ask around- some friend or family member or co-worker will have a PC and can load the files for you. It's not optimum but it works, and you're out nothing in costs doing this.

Phil

Following on from this, I want to do the same to my daughter's cars dashcam what I did to mine and change the F100 to the F200, like me she has the front and rear. Simply for the WiFi function alone.

So all I need is the actual F200 front dashcam unit only and nothing else.

The cheapest deal I can find so far for the front dashcam only is the RAC online shop, they are selling it for £129.

If anyone knows a better deal, please let me know.

Thanks

Following on from this, I want to do the same to my daughter's cars dashcam what I did to mine and change the F100 to the F200, like me she has the front and rear. Simply for the WiFi function alone.

So all I need is the actual F200 front dashcam unit only and nothing else.

The cheapest deal I can find so far for the front dashcam only is the RAC online shop, they are selling it for £129.

If anyone knows a better deal, please let me know.

Thanks
I'm sure @Maddog1974 will be able to help you out

Cheers, I'll wait till he stumbles across this.

Made another purchase and got my discount and it arrived today...excellent service as always. Thanks

Back