Multiple seconds of video lost when entering/leaving parking mode ...

Prelude89

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

I never picked it up previously because of the way Registrator Viewer presented parking mode when using low frame rate mode. I have just been going over some more recent footage where I have changed to low bit rate mode, and on short journeys that have a parking mode segment, I noticed a thin bar of grey that ought not be there.

After some research using the history still on the PC, there is a consistent 7 seconds of lost video when ever the camera changes mode.

Getting out my storage drive and going back over my complete history, the first video's started with a 4 second gap. Over the following months it varied, reaching 10 seconds for a short period.

I didn't have the rear camera connected at the start, and I power the unit through the GPS mount.

I was running whatever firmware came with the unit when purchased early March '19, and upgraded to firmware v1.9 (I think) around the middle of May, as that's the time stamp on the downloaded firmware file.

I'm using Samsung Evo Plus 128gb cards.

Any ideas?

when it changes modes it has to stop recording and then start a new recording, there will be some loss of recording when this happens

I understand there's time required to finish off a file and open a new one, but 4 to 10 seconds seems like a while. Is it the file handling, or the actual changing modes though? Because every 3 minutes it has to stop a recording and start a new one.

What's also worrying is that whilst in parking mode, to come out of parking mode is uses the G-Sensor (or am I wrong?), and if this is the case, those 7 or so seconds could well miss what causes the mode change, especially if the impact was on the side of the car.

Does the A129 have zero buffer memory for this type of thing?

Handling over in between regular recording segments will have no time lost, it is only when changing to parking mode that happen
With the hard wire kit ( 3 wire ) the camera use the ACC wire to determine what mode to be in ( regular or parking )
But in the old days the G sensor was used with 2 wire hard wire kits, but this approach most are now leaving it seem.

So if your car are in parking mode, and you get back to it and into it, that should trigger a event recording if you have G sensor on for parking mode, which will then be terminated when you turn the key as this mean the camera have to reboot to go into normal recording mode.

Dashcams do have a buffer as seen in some cameras where if you press the event button you will have a few seconds before you press the button, some are now leaving that in favour of recording segments, meaning if you press the event button the current 3 minute segment will be saved, and the one before or after depending on how far you are into the current ( 3 minute ) segment, so you have 6 minutes locked away as a event.

Which are some memory space ( 600 MB ) but at least you don't have a very short buffer and have to rush to the event button, with segments instead you can have a event, pull over, light a cigarette and then press the event button, and it will be locked in the RO ( read only folder )

I mentioned this issue to Viofo last May or June through their online support. They said they would point this out to the development team.

I would therefore assume they are aware of the issue but can not come up with a fix.

However it would perhaps be worth some one else reminding them of the problem.

I mentioned this issue to Viofo last May or June through their online support. They said they would point this out to the development team.

I would therefore assume they are aware of the issue but can not come up with a fix.

However it would perhaps be worth some one else reminding them of the problem.

This is not a resolvable issue. It's because the camera is relying on battery power to record when driving. Upon shutting off the vehicle, the camera pauses itself and transitions to park mode. Where the camera now relies upon the battery for power. There by, requiring a delay in recording during the transitional period.

That response doesn't make any sense at all. The only difference between changing modes and changing files is the changing modes. The camera still has to close one file and open the next file during normal recording, parking mode or driving mode.

Are you honestly expecting us to believe it takes a full 7 seconds to transition?

When entering parking mode, the engine has been off for several minutes, so trying to blame an external entity for the delay is a bit silly.

That response doesn't make any sense at all. The only difference between changing modes and changing files is the changing modes. The camera still has to close one file and open the next file during normal recording, parking mode or driving mode.

Are you honestly expecting us to believe it takes a full 7 seconds to transition?

When entering parking mode, the engine has been off for several minutes, so trying to blame an external entity for the delay is a bit silly.

Sequencing of events:

1. Car recording in Park Mode
2. Engine Starts, Park Mode Turns Off, Recording Suspended in order to switch to "Regular Mode"
3. Pause in recording while transition is happening. Regular Recording begins to record
4. Gap exists between Parked Car and Car now with engine running during transition time.

Not a hard concept to grasp.

Sequencing of events:

1. Car recording in Park Mode
2. Engine Starts, Park Mode Turns Off, Recording Suspended in order to switch to "Regular Mode"
3. Pause in recording while transition is happening. Regular Recording begins to record
4. Gap exists between Parked Car and Car now with engine running during transition time.

Not a hard concept to grasp.
which is different to regular recording where there is no stop and start, the recording is continuous and the breaks are created on the fly, changing modes is closer in logic to the camera shutdown and startup sequences

Also the fewest that jump into their car, crank it slam it into reverse and backup strait into a cop car.
Personally i don't see this gap as a issue, before i have managed to get my seat belt on and gotten oriented, the camera would be well underway with regular recording.
Maybe that all happened a lot faster 30 years ago.

Recording Suspended in order to switch to "Regular Mode"

There is a serious problem if this takes 7 seconds to achieve. Honestly, how hard is it to change modes?

Personally i don't see this gap as a issue, before i have managed to get my seat belt on and gotten oriented, the camera would be well underway with regular recording.

That seems straight forward enough. Now what about when the cam switches due to sensor input?

We have a guy on here moaning about losing a single frame. Losing a full 7 seconds (and up to 10 seconds) might be the only window available to see who it was that just bashed your car.

Maybe that all happened a lot faster 30 years ago.

Not even 30 years ago. My DR-400 happily switched between modes with no loss of video.

We have a guy on here moaning about losing a single frame. Losing a full 7 seconds (and up to 10 seconds) might be the only window available to see who it was that just bashed your car.

Two Different issues. Front Camera randomly drops a frame. Rear Camera dupes a frame every 92 frames. SDK / Firmware bug that can be fixed since the first firmware didn't suffer the issue.

I would bet all cameras have a "Gap". There's no way for the camera to record during the transition period. And you're in the car while this is happening.

1. ALL CAMERAS that are hardwired or running on battery pack are in parking mode.

2. ALL CAMERAS must switch from parking mode to normal recording. Which requires a pause in recording as the power supply switches from battery to Engine Power.

3. CAMERA then enters normal recording mode, and recording resumes.

Not even 30 years ago. My DR-400 happily switched between modes with no loss of video.

Not sure how because the sequencing is the same. on all cameras, though the duration of pause may vary in length. ONLY way I could ever see your argument being possible is if there's a Supercapacitor or internal battery that allows the camera to record during the transition and then the video is buffered into memory. And once recording resumes, a single file lasting a few seconds is then created during each transition.

I would bet all cameras have a "Gap".

Really? You even quote me telling you my DR-400 has NO GAP (I can use pointless ALL-CAPS as well!!) when switching modes.

2. ALL CAMERAS must switch from parking mode to normal recording. Which requires a pause in recording as the power supply switches from battery to Engine Power.

What has engine power got to do with anything? I power my cam through the GPS mount, so it doesn't use voltage sensing to switch modes. It switches to parking mode several minutes after the car has been turned off, and switches back to normal mode when I get back in the car. No engine start or stop for either. The a129 uses the g-sensor (from memory), the DR-400 used the GPS. It would switch to parking mode while waiting in heavy traffic occasionally, for example. It would come out of parking mode shortly after driving off. For this very reason, a 7 second gap would have been unthinkable.

Not sure how because the sequencing is the same

It's clear you have in your head an understanding of how these things work. Sadly, it is a flawed understanding.

Supercapacitor or internal battery

Which almost all dash cameras have!

Yes, there can be a very short gap in the supply of power while starting the car. There is no such issue when turning off the engine, though, so how would you explain the gap in that situation?

Oh ... and what do you know ... my Power Magic also has capacitors in it, so this silly theory of yours that gaps are due to the engine operation is just that ... silly.

And once recording resumes, a single file lasting a few seconds is then created during each transition.

Wrong again!

Really, your proclamations do show you have limited knowledge of how things work. Even when people tell you otherwise, you just keep powering on, basically telling them they are liars!

Now, I'm not claiming to be an expert, just telling you how things work in my world.

Really? You even quote me telling you my DR-400 has NO GAP (I can use pointless ALL-CAPS as well!!) when switching modes.

And I seriously doubt your claim there's no gap. Unless you are unequivocally stating the camera is storing clips into memory through the use of a supercapacitor. And then the video files stored are a few seconds in length between the transition.

What has engine power got to do with anything? I power my cam through the GPS mount, so it doesn't use voltage sensing to switch modes. It switches to parking mode several minutes after the car has been turned off, and switches back to normal mode when I get back in the car. No engine start or stop for either. The a129 uses the g-sensor (from memory), the DR-400 used the GPS. It would switch to parking mode while waiting in heavy traffic occasionally, for example. It would come out of parking mode shortly after driving off. For this very reason, a 7 second gap would have been unthinkable.

What the hell are you talking about here? Sounds like you have zero clue about hardwiring a Dash Camera. If your camera was entering park mode when your vehicle went into start / stop, then you've got your camera hooked up to an improper fuse. I have Start / Stop and never had my camera "switch" while waiting in traffic. Honestly, it sounds like you have ZERO CLUE how these cameras work. Zero.

Also, the power plug should go DIRECTLY to the camera and NOT the GPS mount. Read the instructions......Something it seems like you skipped.

It's clear you have in your head an understanding of how these things work. Sadly, it is a flawed understanding.

See above.. My camera works properly... Guessing your issues are user induced.

Which almost all dash cameras have!

Yes, there can be a very short gap in the supply of power while starting the car. There is no such issue when turning off the engine, though, so how would you explain the gap in that situation?

I haven't bothered to verify the issue. But I would guess there's a transition between starting the camera and car going into battery mode. I'll take a look tomorrow and see.

Oh ... and what do you know ... my Power Magic also has capacitors in it, so this silly theory of yours that gaps are due to the engine operation is just that ... silly.

I'm thinking your issues are hardwire and user related.. See above...

Wrong again!

Really, your proclamations do show you have limited knowledge of how things work. Even when people tell you otherwise, you just keep powering on, basically telling them they are liars!

Now, I'm not claiming to be an expert, just telling you how things work in my world.
[/QUOTE]

And I seriously doubt your claim there's no gap.

LOL ... As I said, call everyone who disagrees with you a liar!

Unless you are unequivocally stating the camera is storing clips into memory through the use of a supercapacitor. And then the video files stored are a few seconds in length between the transition.
I am unequivocally stating my DR-400 has NO gaps between files when switching modes. There is only a battery in the DR-400, and there are no silly few second clips. The normal video finishes, then the parking mode video starts, and runs for the preset loop time.

Go over to the DR-400 group and make yourself look like an idiot if you don't believe me.

Sounds like you have zero clue about hardwiring a Dash Camera.

My cam is hardwired perfectly, thanks very much. Once again, you seem to think the only way parking mode is initiated is by turning the engine on/off. It's not.

Read the instructions......Something it seems like you skipped.

I did! and I read that using the GPS mount to power the camera is perfectly fine, and I read that the reason to power the camera directly was if you are using the Viofo hard wire kit AND want to use the parking mode feature option.

I'm thinking your issues are hardwire and user related..

Yeah ... You don't think at all. Toss out your silly ideas on how things work and educate yourself.

Yes, unlike you, I can read and understand things.

If you could have been bothered to read, you would see that I use a Power Magic Pro for my hard wiring needs, so it is utterly irrelevant where I plug power into.

I have Start / Stop and never had my camera "switch" while waiting in traffic.

And right there is where I think we can stop this, because your comprehension skills are appalling! Read what I wrote, and it clearly states my DR-400 can go into parking mode while sitting in traffic, because it uses the GPS to determine if the car is driving or parking.

LOL ... As I said, call everyone who disagrees with you a liar!

No.. You're throwing out random sh*t which makes absolutely no sense...Even as others have tried to explain it to you over and over and over and over....

Example:

The a129 uses the g-sensor (from memory), the DR-400 used the GPS. It would switch to parking mode while waiting in heavy traffic occasionally, for example. It would come out of parking mode shortly after driving off. For this very reason, a 7 second gap would have been unthinkable.

The G-Sensor detects impact. Depending on the sensitivity setting, the G-Sensor will trigger and lock the video file to prevent overwriting. Clearly, you have no idea what this feature does.....

Now, you can set the camera to detect motion (different than the G-Sensor) while parked. Also known as Event Trigger.

Do you even know what parking mode is or are you throwing out random thoughts that convey nothing? Parking mode is when the car is idled and running off the battery or a battery pack. If the engine is running, parking mode is not... It has ZERO to do with the GPS.

I am unequivocally stating my DR-400 has NO gaps between files when switching modes. There is only a battery in the DR-400, and there are no silly few second clips. The normal video finishes, then the parking mode video starts, and runs for the preset loop time.

Go over to the DR-400 group and make yourself look like an idiot if you don't believe me.

Seeing how you are confusing features left and right.....I'll let someone with an understanding of Dash Cameras chime in on your behalf to clarify the facts.

My cam is hardwired perfectly, thanks very much. Once again, you seem to think the only way parking mode is initiated is by turning the engine on/off. It's not.

The whole definition of parking mode is the vehicle is PARKED. If parking mode is triggering under any other circumstances, something is wrong with the wiring or camera. Again scroll up and others have tried over and over and over to explain this to you.

I did! and I read that using the GPS mount to power the camera is perfectly fine, and I read that the reason to power the camera directly was if you are using the Viofo hard wire kit AND want to use the parking mode feature option.

Actually Viofo SPECIFICALLY STATES DO NOT PLUG POWER TO GPS MOUNT if hardwiring! HK3 Hardwiring Kit.

Please be sure the cable is connected to the camera directly, not through the GPS mount. Note: GPS will also work if the cable is connected to the camera body

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07KZGM9LS

Yeah ... You don't think at all. Toss out your silly ideas on how things work and educate yourself.

Yes, unlike you, I can read and understand things.

If you could have been bothered to read, you would see that I use a Power Magic Pro for my hard wiring needs, so it is utterly irrelevant where I plug power into.

So you're using a battery pack....That changes nothing....Same argument applies as above.

And right there is where I think we can stop this, because your comprehension skills are appalling! Read what I wrote, and it clearly states my DR-400 can go into parking mode while sitting in traffic, because it uses the GPS to determine if the car is driving or parking.

.....I'll let someone chime in here.... Because you've proven yourself an unreliable an albeit confusing source for misinformation.

No.. You're throwing out random sh*t which makes absolutely no sense...

So ... despite me having owned the device, and have the video files to actually go and check for gaps, you are telling me I am a liar?

Please link me to the thread you create in the DR-400 group asking others to verify that my story is crap. It will never happen, because you're too scared to be told you're an idiot by more actual owners of the device.

Do you even know what parking mode is or are you throwing out random thoughts that convey nothing?

So ... tell me this then: I don't use the Viofo hardwire kit, yet the camera switches to parking mode well after the car is turned off.

How do I know it's switched to parking mode? Because it starts recording in the set-up low bitrate mode.

Also, please tell me how it comes out of Parking mode when I get into the car, and haven't even put the key in the ignition?

How do I know it's switched out of parking mode? Because I hear the beeps, and the camera starts recording at full bitrate once again.

If you can't explain this, the stop trying to extol your knowledge of the camera.

Seeing how you are confusing features left and right.
I'm beginning to think you have no idea of features. You seem to have ruled out the G-Sensor for mode switching, and as I'm not using the HK3 kit, that's not being used to switch modes either, yet some how my camera switches into parking mode. Once again, let me be clear, the camera is telling me it's switched into parking mode because it starts recording in the selected parking mode method. I started with low frame rate, then switched to low bitrate.

If parking mode is triggering under any other circumstances, something is wrong with the wiring or camera.

Once again, you have failed to understand how things work. You are still stuck on this idea that the engine has to be turned off, and this triggers the switch into parking mode. Pull your head out of your butt and accept the simple truth that this is not the only way parking mode is switched to, and especially on non-Viofo devices.

Also, learn how to comprehend basic English. I told you why my DR-400 could switch to parking mode while sitting in traffic, but you're just too bone headed to understand that when a device uses the GPS to determine if the car is parked, it can switch while the car is in traffic, but not moving.

Have you not heard the statement "The highway is like a car park at the moment!"?

Actually Viofo SPECIFICALLY STATES DO NOT PLUG POWER TO GPS MOUNT if hardwiring! HK3 Hardwiring Kit.

Yes, they do. But then I SPECIFICALLY STATED I AM NOT USING THE HK3 HARD WIRING KIT.

Next you'll be telling me parking mode can't be activated without the HK3 kit!

So you're using a battery pack....That changes nothing....Same argument applies as above.

Well ... the Power Magic Pro is not a battery pack. It's a hard wire kit. Your irrelevant arguments still stand ... I guess. They are still wrong though.

Because you've proven yourself an unreliable an albeit confusing source for misinformation.

Are you expecting the mirror to answer that?

So ... despite me having owned the device, and have the video files to actually go and check for gaps, you are telling me I am a liar?

Please link me to the thread you create in the DR-400 group asking others to verify that my story is crap. It will never happen, because you're too scared to be told you're an idiot by more actual owners of the device.

I'm saying you are confusing things left and right.....

So ... tell me this then: I don't use the Viofo hardwire kit, yet the camera switches to parking mode well after the car is turned off.

How do I know it's switched to parking mode? Because it starts recording in the set-up low bitrate mode.

Also, please tell me how it comes out of Parking mode when I get into the car, and haven't even put the key in the ignition?

How do I know it's switched out of parking mode? Because I hear the beeps, and the camera starts recording at full bitrate once again.

If you can't explain this, the stop trying to extol your knowledge of the camera.

You've proven everything I've said right here... You are using a 3rd party hardwiring kit (Blackvue) and then are questioning the problems you're having... Well I've never had my Viofo A129 go into parking mode will driving using the Viofo 3 Wire Hardwire Kit....

I'll have to check and see about the missing video clips to verify what you've said to see if it applies to the Viofo Hardwiring kit. But my guess is there is still a transitional period.

I'm beginning to think you have no idea of features. You seem to have ruled out the G-Sensor for mode switching, and as I'm not using the HK3 kit, that's not being used to switch modes either, yet some how my camera switches into parking mode. Once again, let me be clear, the camera is telling me it's switched into parking mode because it starts recording in the selected parking mode method. I started with low frame rate, then switched to low bitrate.

You've pinpointed the issue.... 3rd party hardware (blackvue hardwiring kit) with a Viofo Camera. Go buy the HK3 hardwiring kit and then the issue is solved. On the HK3 kit, IVE NEVER had my camera go into parking mode while stopped. Seems there's a compatibility issue with the blackvue and viofo. Which why in gods green earth would you not pair a Factory Camera with its Factory Intended Hardwiring kit.....But you come here and complain about issues being created by incompatibilities.

Once again, you have failed to understand how things work. You are still stuck on this idea that the engine has to be turned off, and this triggers the switch into parking mode. Pull your head out of your butt and accept the simple truth that this is not the only way parking mode is switched to, and especially on non-Viofo devices.

....See above about pairing incompatible devices then bitching about problems.

Also, learn how to comprehend basic English. I told you why my DR-400 could switch to parking mode while sitting in traffic, but you're just too bone headed to understand that when a device uses the GPS to determine if the car is parked, it can switch while the car is in traffic, but not moving.

Have you not heard the statement "The highway is like a car park at the moment!"?

Well you're pairing a Viofo with a Blackvue kit.... So taking your expertise at face value is like accepting the world is flat because you've seen a map from the 1400s.

Yes, they do. But then I SPECIFICALLY STATED I AM NOT USING THE HK3 HARD WIRING KIT.

Next you'll be telling me parking mode can't be activated without the HK3 kit!

No.. I'm telling you that the problems you're experiencing are due to using a 3rd party hardwiring kit.

Well ... the Power Magic Pro is not a battery pack. It's a hard wire kit. Your irrelevant arguments still stand ... I guess. They are still wrong though.

Are you expecting the mirror to answer that?

I read it wrong...It's just a hardwiring kit. I saw that on a brief glance.. So my mistake... All else applies.

Power Magic Pro is a hardwiring kit that supplies power from your car to your BlackVue, while protecting your vehicle's battery.

When not using the 3 wire hardwire kit, The camera will go into parking mode after a set amount of time (think it's either 3 or 5 minutes) and no GPS change in position.

It will do this when using the 12v receptacle if your vehicle keeps it powered when shut off, or using the 2 wire kit wired to always on power.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think the old way of 2 wire hard wire, the camera would always be on power, and so i assume would not need to stop to change mode, and the only STOP to that was if the low voltage protection kicked in.
So like my Lukas camera back in the day after a while of no G sensor activity ( car running in idle ) it changed into parking mode, and back out of that the instant there was G sensor activity.
I did not have my lukas hardwired, it was plugged into the dashboard socket so had to have car idling to test parking mode / motion detect sensitivity, but i think the function of it with parking mode enabled was the same either way.
As i recall the lukas also recorded all the time, but in Always when driving - parking when it changed to that, and motion if it detected anything.
Now this video are edited at least for not waiting minutes for camera to change back into parking mode, but you can see it change from "parking" to "motion" just fine, and i assume had i gotten into the car and so activated G-sensor it would have changed seamless to "Always" recording

But for 3 wire hard wire kids i think that is a must to have this transition.
The old 2 wire approach to parking mode i think are agreed upon are a flawed way, but just don't ask me why that is the case.

Last edited:
Back