Viofo MT1 Dual Motorcycle Dashcam: Sample Video

Nigel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Gitup F1+G3ꞈꞈꞈꞈꞈ Viofo A229ꞈꞈꞈꞈꞈ Blueskysea B4K
Some clips from the Beta version while we are waiting...

YouTube has not been too kind on the detail, I'll do some frame grabs...

Last edited:
Yes.
Please do frame grabs of original footage in places where youtube are extra evil to the uploaded material.

With so much road into image will be not easy at all to not have macroblocks at the bottom of the videos. The motorcycle video is hurting a little the eyes compared to the car video. Maybe MT1 will need image stabilization?

enjoy,
Mtz

y4mEcHXXI4GVtnUv3cjW1wleHqqgHzP5Yh1urU8wAT44IvK2Pzex0ePI3NMbFGlCK620v4DXebo0B-bD2tmq1XnrAH2PPbL9YMulwBFekq8MVpXOMcYnnoHaK54Hsi69bI_UG-EplDpJ5TPRJK54R4054yhlBQjL1lBmkFdprx1y6tSXHlywtxp5bXv3xbU2Zla

y4m3shqt1w_J3FwXQDRjxoRLN9CweSNqKWDY58QcN8FE4_pulSHn3oOG4cFR1dZ8GgDWF01QFzAldXvi3SjBgIBXdRJvgBb8WCt4Y5DMTxSZrkwINJNLhkryb0QOUkFI-wawn_6MQvXqpzf8jaYCewHoKTmGwqkpfx_XMInwEmCrnoHngm5_gcrj2_1mUD_Wjve

y4m-1Fm3VrKbbyShP6G_1F1pNGliHMMiML-0G-iOGZBMvTqpulnyi9MRxS6CSt-f3eg9en8D2Jm-ks7m__j9qmzgb00jQYNdmjBR5lX6Wmt41c3OoObulbQvy4KSNOdEThEUz-ipqI1j4RyH0upr97372aOzM-fCjkOxaVPg2BffZt2NWtxd7zdR-mpqcFEgW_N

y4mX8-rzZnR0m6kTcSYM71qY7IBTH0_Jfum4M4Jzt41GyhOXSdADlNuGN2UwW0aXGFjNkHQB96teO2CYgcQ-QqL8fkP93w2zR9h-06HIhOA5efcNCCoUMrZHh_Hx_8hAPmMDqccd7NahfcMxd8XVCznOr7QoDANFyfODz4I9LknXbid-TGDEjk540DIarQOIM2-

y4mWVgM1sfajTSNIicNTcgZyrBX59ttsu55OtV5UGDOw63EyT7zLWclj10K1Tl0OMghmUhVW0SdtiOb4eriWG6e7Dmk28pLr7EHKv-uiN9BqnY0FxzTjiDTKhxMqAAgmGZ45wV3mW7FKNh5xh3hIgzN2h4gdFnYRAdBcvWHWpuDLfjM2cmYtxLTp0bjf8tkxkJE

y4mr1MvNqg2zYMzN-YWa2x-bpkBWrPKuP3-_KeoPO6W5wMKuwvwRfy26UFiQa3SzKzA8Gpk18zbmX5xrdX7l4Ut_6lVVzcyEoDh200T2IutR1X1ifyyaZofZ5rIt2FrwERnLLdtNSgToyN_wRrTS1BT9HKTLsysoH2FBMAmLNGQtyqO0a6j1xFj77rEBifeEUAI

y4mfFwB6yzHDAx_PldFPXMDgQPe3GN1UtqmpKoQxZY27y3vrsVuFit8bw8VhTYcofzgF13bNbMlMUNxI2JEjNAOTsSMpf02x9hSHhB0n_6GRiGL6DtIITppbx51W73EoN2GegUImDZkPi84wxCOHaRYUEzuyH_FtS8eGtQ3R1KHviipFcVktCGcDZoSky0qDL0V

y4mygiltakL_4Kb_1M_-XjWAyRB1lMnx0TEAlLIp8yobJnnsvDNzhkH6TRGO6lpriszYfN5SwmQBo2jhmE54xYOmgnPqEzmuJ3nqWhEp-W2yOav59EYpqP_G3ZnYtGeJzYvvSbnZCbGM13KlWjl0-ThkpQ9w76ceD_U15Vai6clrjWQHKqvyla3Rye6x9lQAhay

y4mwV35wWwroh41Y1XSCy9BbXJsHqYmqk4tsWQPQqMuB-W_1j_2Vq7F4nsX2gHdceQ1fgd1qworySjwommGMY2uoFH66SV_L2NKEYXhco7O2GRrPLL9s8BPPWlwSRi1b9BqS2CkCwgp96B8-mXe64xj8knOC66L8m0dV-b0i7qxd3O1Q5p5SzC5c6oVFnnwAs9W

y4m5Bnd4VjWnyAxLQQIj9j7KGISj9kbdeEcvvicVwwKkiNZGUh1wmvgtTFXOnzkjlCKn05g2dUVMihfzIvQX7d2X6-W0w3b3hnYJBqx0RV5EcMiV43y75Oed9OQTXNQqakVCsD08N2Ft4GNrUbUdO5zwFnsgzpjQb8ZRk5SzZdHAA9K3163lWUBdaY9C-TXi6Fm

With so much road into image will be not easy at all to not have macroblocks at the bottom of the videos. The motorcycle video is hurting a little the eyes compared to the car video. Maybe MT1 will need image stabilization?

enjoy,
Mtz
Yes, and with the camera so much lower down the road surface is moving across the image rather faster making things worse.
However it does reasonably well, not too many macroblocks on the road, sometimes the sky is more annoying.
Seems YouTube has far more problems than with car dashcam video!

Stabilisation might be nice, but it is probably better to get a solid mount and reduce motion blur from camera shake instead of trying to correct it. Not sure why mine was vibrating, seems solid when I feel it, maybe just too close to the engine.

It is really nice not to have any windscreen/dash reflections on any of these images :D

I like the sound too, needs some big speakers.

Last edited:
Great vid, which firmware are you using, I managed to update to V1.1 tonight but not able to put V1.2 on yet,not taken my bike out yet, here is a vid on OEM firmware GSXR1000 K7

Last edited:
Below, I've added some comments to Viofo's description copied from: https://www.viofo.com/en/dash-cam/1...080p-sony-starvis-sensor-wi-fi-motorbike.html

MT1 DUAL CHANNEL 1080P MOTORCYCLE WI-FI GPS DASHCAM

• Dual-Channel Full HD 1080P with Sony Starvis image sensors
The MT1 is using Sony IMX 291 sensors, same as the Viofo A129 Duo dashcam, and the image quality is very similar. These are the best 1080 image sensors currently used in dashcams. Like the A129, it also uses a Novatek processor so everything is familiar and all the problems should already be sorted.
  • Built-in Wi-Fi to control dashcam via VIOFO app on your phone
Again, this is very similar to the A129, and uses the same Viofo smartphone app. The wireless link quality seems somewhat better though, I've had the live view shown on an 8" tablet screen throughout a 1 hour drive several times and had a perfect image with no pauses or lost connections, even though the MT1 DVR was mounted in the engine compartment of my car and the tablet was in the cabin on the other side of the metal firewall, I wasn't expecting it to work but it did. Also my computer in my living room has no problem seeing the live view from my car parked on the road, doesn't even need to be on the drive, it's only about 20 meters but there are two solid concrete walls and a garage in the way.
  • Built-in GPS logger to record date, time, speed and location
The GPS receiver is on a cable rather than built in, but this means it can be mounted with a good view of the sky and the GPS satellites even when the MT1 DVR is securely hidden behind metal. The GPS has been accurate and reasonably quick to respond, although it is only 1Hz like most dashcams.
  • Automatic start-up and shut down of motorcycle dashcam
This works perfectly!
  • Continuous power supply for extended recording duration
It has a built in 3 wire hardwire kit, no separate box, so can only be powered by 12 volts. There is currently no parking mode, but the yellow wire connects to the ignition circuit for startup and shutdown with the red connected to permanent power. All three wires must be connected before it will start up. When off but with permanent power connected it uses 0 mA, too little for my multimeter to measure. It also has super-capacitor backup, so even if it gets disconnected in an accident nothing will get lost.

For use on a bicycle/horse/etc, it can be powered from a powerbank if the powerbank can output 12 volts, for USB only powerbanks you can either use a USB-12 volt converter, or use a USB-C PD powerbank and a voltage negotiator such as ZY12PDN , if you use the screw terminal version then the MT1 power cable can be easily connected with a screwdriver, needs to be set to 9 volts or higher. A 20000mAh powerbank should last around 2 days continuous recording.

• Super capacitor provides excellent fail-safe recording
Not sure why this is needed on a motorcycle, but it is very useful for the bicycle when powered from the USB powerbank, obviously designed to be more than just a motorcycle camera.
  • Built-in G-sensor with low to high sensitivity options
I haven't had a crash yet so can't confirm how well this works, but there is nothing unexpected.
  • Support micro SD card up to 256GB
I've been using a 64GB Samsung Evo Plus, no problems to report.
  • Remote control to start manual recording in a dedicated folder
Manually locked files go in a separate folder, a bit different to the Viofo dashcams, but nothing too unexpected. The remote control also has a wifi on/off button which can be very useful. The DVR box itself has no buttons, LEDs or screen, the controls and LED status indicators are all on the remote control or in the app. The microphone is also in the remote control so can be placed in a quiet, out of the wind location to get decent audio rather than being too close to the engine.
  • Rugged & water-resistant, effective IP66 protection from dust and water
IP66 doesn't mean it can be used under water, but it should have no problems with rain or a jet wash. The only bit that looks a bit vulnerable is the microSD card slot, the MT1 should be positioned so that the card slot is at the bottom, not at the top where drops of water could sit on the card slot cover and possibly seep inside given enough time and a bit of detergent from the bike washing. The cables and connectors seem to be very high quality with metal connectors and locking screws so they won't pull apart or get water inside easily.
  • Camera Mounts with 3M adhesive and/or screw holes
The mounts seem decent, I disassembled mine and put the clamp loop onto a GoPro mount base which I then attached magnets to for very quick install/uninstall on the car, for bicycle mounting I will use the standard bases with bolts for a more secure attachment. The mount clamps were not a perfect fit onto the GoPro components, but good enough.

The GPS antenna came with a magnet already installed, but it was a bit weak so I added an extra, also put some on the remote and DVR so that the whole thing can be attached to my car roof/bonnet/side mirrors/etc in 30 seconds with power coming from a USB power bank or car battery via croc clips. With the DVR in the engine compartment there is no need to run cables from inside to outside so it is quick. For motorcycle/bicycle mounting you do need to ensure all the cables are tied in so it takes a bit longer.

Summary

This is definitely my favorite bike cam, and it also makes a very nice "dashcam" for the car when I want to avoid those annoying windscreen reflections by mounting the camera lenses outside.

Not having a screen on the DVR makes installation much easier than for other bike cameras, the DVR can be put anywhere out of the way, only limitation is that you probably need to be able to access the memory card. You can download files using the app but that is a bit slow. Also means the DVR and memory card can more easily be secured from theft, the thief who breaks into my car to steal valuables is probably not going to find the camera in my engine compartment. If you have a convertible car, you could also lock the DVR and memory card up in the glovebox where it has additional protection from the car alarm.

Note that the "170° wide angle lenses" are a bit wide angle for car use, you need to get quite close to number plates to be able to read them. Hopefully there will be a narrower version for people with convertible cars who want a secure waterproof dashcam rather than a motorcycle camera. For motorcycle use they are fine, since you will probably mount them very near the front and back of the bike, with no bonnet in the way preventing them getting close to the vehicle in front and without the width of a car preventing them getting close sideways. The wider angle also makes it look like you were going a fair bit slower than a car dashcam would, could be useful for those that don't stick to speed limits!

Last edited:
  • Remote control to start manual recording in a dedicated folder
The microphone is also in the remote control so can be placed in a quiet, out of the wind location to get decent audio rather than being too close to the engine.
(y)
Yes, I also liked the work of MT1, made reliably and conveniently. Installation on a Yamaha motorcycle FJR 1300 took no more than 1 hour.
yamaha_5.jpg

yamaha_12.jpg

yamaha_10.jpg

yamaha_7.jpg

yamaha_8.jpg
As for the microphone - the sound is good, but when moving, the wind creates noise. In the near future I plan to make myself a small nozzle with foam rubber on the remote control (to protect against wind) and check this.
All sounds and noise from the wind are clearly audible in this video:

Front cam
Original video

Rear cam
Original video

• Support micro SD card up to 256GB
I've been using a 64GB Samsung Evo Plus, no problems to report.
I've been using a 64GB ADATA, no problems to report.

We also tested the MT1 on an off-road car in competitions - excellent results!
The video will be soon for viewing

PS: Perhaps a low bit rate was used in the test sample, and when MT1 goes on sale, it will be another firmware and other cameras :)

As for the microphone - the sound is good, but when moving, the wind creates noise. In the near future I plan to make myself a small nozzle with foam rubber on the remote control (to protect against wind) and check this.
Moving the microphone even 1cm can make a big difference, I think you have air turbulence from the edge of the bike, maybe rotating the remote 45 degrees so that the microphone hole is 2cm further from the edge of the bike will help.

Foam is not so good for wind, it is used on microphones for problems with people breathing on the microphone. For wind you need a fluffy microphone cover, like this but much smaller for the MT1, even for a small version you do want long fur, not short:
s-l1600.jpg

your bike accelerates a lot faster than the GPS can log
:)
We specially installed a GPS module under the seat in order to check how well it handles the search for satellites in an enclosed space

GPS installation DCT.jpg GPS installation on Yamaha FJR 1300DCT.jpg

We did not have time to conduct tests with the external GPS module - the cold came and we closed the season :(

Now I will try to install MT1 on the car outside (and also try installing inside) and continue to carry out tests

Another video - day, from the front and rear cameras MT1 on the Yamaha FJR 1300

Links to the original video - in the video caption

Video onboard on off-road competitions - trophy-raid, championship of Russia, Leningrad region

The front camera is installed according to technical regulations behind the seatbacks of athletes, at eye level, the second camera removes the interior.
MT1 was installed in this car:
install in sportcar_4.jpg

install in sportcar_1.jpg install in sportcar_2.jpg
The GPS module was not connected.

Nice, i have driven a lot of off road too, with my friend in his land rover, but in the nice and easy street legal class though that's also just about all the classes we have here.
So a land rover, a few old man emu upgrades a warn winch on a bull bar ( those was still legal here back then ) and some better tires.
Regular seats and seat belts and no roll cage.
I put new front axle on land rover lying on my back in a puddle of mud after friend ripped off Right front wheel, lucky others had a spare he could buy cuz otherwise we would not have been able to finish and drive home in the car.

Another small video onboard off-road competitions (trophy-raid).
Recording at speed with strong shaking, you can see that in the case of a good fastening of dashcam, no image stabilization is needed.

Anyone knows when this motocycle cam will be released for sale?

I am thinking of installing the 2 cams underneath my car's side mirrors, to record any side swipes.

Are these motocycle cams feasible for such side recordings or are there better alternatives? These motocycle cams themselves are quite big and bulky and may look awkward beneath the side mirrrors.. Hmmm

Hope you all can kindly advise.. Thanks a lot!

I think that will be a bad idea, not least if you don't wash your car by hand.

This is the first Dual side camera system i have seen, its actually 3 camera system, but the side cameras are just 720P

Also note looking at license plate of Mercedes, it is mirrored on the side camera.

I think that will be a bad idea, not least if you don't wash your car by hand.

This is the first Dual side camera system i have seen, its actually 3 camera system, but the side cameras are just 720P

Also note looking at license plate of Mercedes, it is mirrored on the side camera.

Thanks very much for your quick response!

Yup, this cam looks good, except the installation on the side of the door leaves some worry for me, esp when that side tends to be banged hard by the doors of the car parked beside, don't know if it'll be cracked by hard knocks.. Also, i am not korean so i cant read if these cams are weather proof..

This cam is not available in my country and the nearest seller is up north.. have enquired and will update here on the price.

FYI, I looked at the motocycle cams as they are relatively inexpensive and can be mounted upside down on bottom side of the car mirrors and are weatherproof... so there is no danger of them being banged by other car's doors. Just only maybe their bulky build will make them look conspicuous and their wiring may be too thick? to pass thru the side mirror frame... headache......

Back