Power cable question

rotordrew

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I just bought this dash cam, coming from a Grdian Dfender+. I know, cheapie, and it definitely performed like one. My only problem is that in my Explorer, the cigarette lighter power does not turn off.

I would like to power the 55 with a USB to micro USB cable. Will that suffice?

Thanks!

No because it only works with proprietary Garmin chargers. But you could get a hardwire kit and wire it to a fuse that only gets power when the engine is running

That's not the case - I have run the 55 from a generic USB charger, albeit one that claims to provide 2.1A if required. I have not yet measured the draw of the dashcam. I'll note that if you connect it to a USB port that can provide data access, then the 55 will switch to "mass storage" mode and won't operate as a camera.

You can (and I do) power the 55 from Garmin's proprietary "parking mode" cable, which is the only way to get it to switch to parking mode when parked. This is a hardwire connection. Otherwise, a decent USB power supply and cable should work fine, though you likely won't get the advantage of the right-angle connector on Garmin's cable.

That's not the case - I have run the 55 from a generic USB charger, albeit one that claims to provide 2.1A if required. I have not yet measured the draw of the dashcam. I'll note that if you connect it to a USB port that can provide data access, then the 55 will switch to "mass storage" mode and won't operate as a camera.

You can (and I do) power the 55 from Garmin's proprietary "parking mode" cable, which is the only way to get it to switch to parking mode when parked. This is a hardwire connection. Otherwise, a decent USB power supply and cable should work fine, though you likely won't get the advantage of the right-angle connector on Garmin's cable.

That's strange! I have a couple 45 and one 65W and none work without the Garmin charger. They say something like "This USB cable cannot be used to power your Garmin dashcam, please use a Garmin cable". But I did leave a 45 plugged in after updating the firmware and after a few hours it started recording on its own

Anyone found a way to “fool” a garmin dash cam via USB into thinking it could switch to Parking Mode? I’ve a Tesla M3 which doesn’t have a 12V permanent power source, even the OBD line (there’s no OBD2 port by default) is only a switched power source. So clearly the Garmin Parking Cable sends a separate signal to the dash cam when ACC switches off but BAT is live, so question is how to manually send same signal to the dash cam. I’ve my dash cam wired via a 20000mah power pack, so need a manual override to force the Garmin to know it is parked.

I'm sure that if you ask in one of the Tesla forums you'll get a suggestion as to where to find 12V when the car is running. Or you may have to just do without parking mode. Doesn't the M3 have its own dashcam feature?

I'm sure that if you ask in one of the Tesla forums you'll get a suggestion as to where to find 12V when the car is running. Or you may have to just do without parking mode. Doesn't the M3 have its own dashcam feature?

if you connect this camera to a big powerbank , parking mode will work . am i correct?

if you connect this camera to a big powerbank , parking mode will work . am i correct?

No - it will behave as if the car was running all the time so you would get normal recording. The Garmin Parking Mode Cable has circuitry that "tells" the dashcam that parking mode is available. I don't know if it's a simple resistance thing or if there's more information transferred.

I have my Garmin 55 with parking mode cable connected to a CellLink Neo battery that charges while the car is running. The cam can run for 24 hours or more from the battery in parking mode - the battery has logic to tell the Garmin cable that it should switch to parking mode.

there is no powersave mode in these cameras ? for example , my viofo connected to a powerbank goes to sleep after a while once the car is parked but it turns itself on if something goes near the car or if something comes in contact with the car.

i thought garmin was the same

No. The Garmin cameras go into parking mode when the car is shut off, if you use their special cable. It then records if it sees motion, but there is no G sensor recording that I recall.

Back