Viofo A129 Duo issues and Viofo customer service

chembleton

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Complete noob to these forums but I thought I would share my experiences.

I bought an A129 Duo dashcam new from ebay last September. I had this professionally hard wired. All was well for a couple of weeks as far as I could tell. It has the GPS module and I was using a SanDisk 32gb class 10 micro sd.

Not long after I got it, it kept randomly rebooting, not recording at all, sometime I get the start up splash sound, sometimes not, parking mode works sometimes, other times not. I've tried resetting it, different bit rates, switching off wifi, new firmware, you name it, all without success. It's now actually worse than ever. It will restart during driving and I can miss upto 90 seconds of footage. I'm lucky if I get 60 seconds before a reboot.

I've contacted Viofo customer services and raised a ticket only to be lead around and around in circles asking me what memory cards, try others (which I have used a Samsung Evo card and even a cheaper generic card), try this try that, questioning the hardwire install, even asking me again what cards am I using despite already telling them. It's a joke. I'm basically being messed around. I've directly asked them for a replacement and he came back questioning the hardwire install.

Does anyone else have similar issues with the camera and or Viofo customer service? I spent a lot of money on the camera, hw kit and install and it's completely unreliable and pointless having.

Thanks for any advice.

Chris.

Hi,

I bought an A129 Duo dashcam new from ebay last September. I had this professionally hard wired. All was well for a couple of weeks as far as I could tell. It has the GPS module and I was using a SanDisk 32gb class 10 micro sd.

Not long after I got it, it kept randomly rebooting, not recording at all, sometime I get the start up splash sound, sometimes not, parking mode works sometimes, other times not. I've tried resetting it, different bit rates, switching off wifi, new firmware, you name it, all without success. It's now actually worse than ever. It will restart during driving and I can miss upto 90 seconds of footage. I'm lucky if I get 60 seconds before a reboot.

I've contacted Viofo customer services and raised a ticket only to be lead around and around in circles asking me what memory cards, try others (which I have used a Samsung Evo card and even a cheaper generic card), try this try that, questioning the hardwire install, even asking me again what cards am I using despite already telling them. It's a joke. I'm basically being messed around. I've directly asked them for a replacement and he came back questioning the hardwire install.

Does anyone else have similar issues with the camera and or Viofo customer service? I spent a lot of money on the camera, hw kit and install and it's completely unreliable and pointless having.

Thanks for any advice.

Chris.

First thing first, try another SD card. Freezing is usually an SD card issue. Try one that is known to work. Purchase a Sandisk High Endurance SD card. And make sure to test SD cards you order online to ensure they are NOT FAKES. Lots of chinese knock offs floating around.

I first tried a Sandisk Ultra Plus SD card when I bought my camera and the camera would freeze and act very erratic. Incompatible card. Replaced with a Sandisk A2 Extreme and zero issue. Though most on here would recommend a Sandisk High Endurance Card over the A2 due to the difference in memory. MLC (High Endurance) are meant to be written and rewritten over and over. Though My A2 Extreme has never had an issue (TLC Memory) others warn against it. Cum Se Cum Sa.

2. Your professional installer wasn't so "professional". Did he route wires behind the airbags (remove pillars)? Where did he hardwire the camera to if he hardwired (what fuses)? One issue I ran into was I picked the 12V socket fuse. Benign I thought. Well when I went to lock my car, apparently the 12V is also tied to the security system. It caused my camera to power on when locking car and folding mirrors. Moved to another fuse.

Not all fuses that seem right will work. Sometimes conflicts arise.

3. Could be a faulty camera.

Hi,

Thanks for any advice.

Chris.
While a faulty camera is certainly possible, the issues you describe point to a faulty (or incorrectly formatted) memory card or power supply issue. Which Samsung EVO card card did you try? Did you format it inside the camera before using?

While a faulty camera is certainly possible, the issues you describe point to a faulty (or incorrectly formatted) memory card or power supply issue. Which Samsung EVO card card did you try? Did you format it inside the camera before using?

Problem with "Professional Installs" is that not all places are created equal. So as you and I both pointed out, there's a lot of variables here and Viofo was right to try and isolate the problem to figure out which one might be the culprit.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I can't say the specifics about how the hard wire install was done but I do trust the guy as he works for an autoelectricians and does side work also for cash. His core work is dashcams, trackers, radios, digital dashboards etc. I assume he knew what he was doing.

I've just purchased (collect tomorrow) from Argos (so hopefully genuine) Sandisk High Endurance 32gb card. I'll see how that works out.

I'll also try using the accessory socket power cable instead to rule out the hard wire kit.

I get the customer services wanting to be thorough but I was getting frustrated when they started asking the same questions they had earlier in the thread. I felt like I was going around in circles. I'm not after a free camera, I'll happily send this one back for a replacement but it's very frustrating.

Cheers.

Which hardwire kit did you use?

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I can't say the specifics about how the hard wire install was done but I do trust the guy as he works for an autoelectricians and does side work also for cash. His core work is dashcams, trackers, radios, digital dashboards etc. I assume he knew what he was doing.

I've just purchased (collect tomorrow) from Argos (so hopefully genuine) Sandisk High Endurance 32gb card. I'll see how that works out.

I'll also try using the accessory socket power cable instead to rule out the hard wire kit.

I get the customer services wanting to be thorough but I was getting frustrated when they started asking the same questions they had earlier in the thread. I felt like I was going around in circles. I'm not after a free camera, I'll happily send this one back for a replacement but it's very frustrating.

Cheers.

Whoa Nelly Hold your Horses....No one is accusing you of trying to get a free camera. I believe Viofo is trying to do a process of elimination, the same as the rest of us. Think of troubleshooting like a flow chart.

1. If replacement SD card solves problem (Sandisk High Endurance) ---> No more Troubleshooting necessary.
2. If replacement SD does not solve problem ---> Proceed to try camera with 12V adapter and remove hardwiring kit. --> If solved stop troubleshooting.
3. If Camera still has problems --->Proceed to request a exchange.

Good point raised... Are you using the Viofo 3 Wire Hardwire Kit or an aftermarket kit?

I never said anyone on here said I was after a free camera, I meant the customer services have had me going around in circles, offering the same advice multiple times. They started off questioning my memory card, then firmware, then hardwire, now they've gone back to memory card and firmware again.....

I have purchased a SanDisk high endurance card from Argos UK (reputable high street retailer, online). The camera still reboots and skips recording.

I have again tried at Viofo's advice new firmware and will place the camera back in the car tonight.

I will also try the USB power cable.

Thanks for help.

I never said anyone on here said I was after a free camera, I meant the customer services have had me going around in circles, offering the same advice multiple times. They started off questioning my memory card, then firmware, then hardwire, now they've gone back to memory card and firmware again.....

Again no one accused you of wanting a free camera.....The steps mentioned are troubleshooting suggestions by Viofo to isolate the problem.

I have purchased a SanDisk high endurance card from Argos UK (reputable high street retailer, online). The camera still reboots and skips recording.

I have again tried at Viofo's advice new firmware and will place the camera back in the car tonight.

I will also try the USB power cable.

Thanks for help.

Since we've eliminated the SD card, did you try removing camera from the hardwire kit (with new sd card installed) and trying powering with the 12V adapter? If that doesn't solve then try updating firmware. And if you still have an issue, I'd bet your camera is faulty.

Back