Viofo A118C Clock Battery Replacement Help

Jakk89

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi,

My A118C works fine but the date resets every time, even after charging overnight, so I thought I'd open it up and replace the battery. I've run into a few problems:
1) the battery is attached to a plastic bit so I don't know what type of battery to replace it with
2) I'm not sure how to rewire to the battery again

I've attached pictures so you guys can see what I mean. Does anyone know how to fix this or do I have to buy a new dashcam?
20200427_174101.jpg20200427_180724.jpg20200427_180715.jpg

Thanks,
Jack

Hey, I was under the impression that the circular, silver battery was the one that saved the date on the dashcam, but you're telling me it's the audio/mic? Sorry, I don't know what I'm doing lol.

I don't see it on the PCB unless it's on the other side.
20200427_205458.jpg

I replaced the battery. The battery bottom of the capacitors.
But after 2 days without charging resetting clock.
So I want to replaced again with a bigger capacity battery.
6be50e23173f3e1e9f3b4dfff43118e4.jpg

Mi 9T cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

It's a few years old. So, earlier versions of this A118C doesn't have an RTC? So it can never retain the date for timestamps?

It's a few years old. So, earlier versions of this A118C doesn't have an RTC? So it can never retain the date for timestamps?
not sure, can't see it in your pic but it would be under the ribbon cable in your photo, that section of the PCB is obscured in your picture

If there’s no battery then it could be the caps that provide the power to keep the time?

If there’s no battery then it could be the caps that provide the power to keep the time?
some manufacturers do it that way, not sure if Viofo actually did this model with caps but without the RTC cell, I know there are copy versions out there that don't have the RTC cell though

I don't understand why they would make it this hard to replace the RTC battery? Is there any solution that wouldn't require you taking the dashcam apart? For example, buying the external GPS extension?

I don't understand why they would make it this hard to replace the RTC battery?
not something that normally would fail during the lifespan of the product, no need to design it for something that normally wouldn't happen

I'm not sure I agree with that. A quick google search and on this forum shows that it's quite common and bound to happen? Similar to car keys and watches. RTC batteries don't last forever, and a dashcam without the correct timestamp defeats much of the point of having one. Thanks for your help.

I'm not sure I agree with that. A quick google search and on this forum shows that it's quite common and bound to happen? Similar to car keys and watches. RTC batteries don't last forever, and a dashcam without the correct timestamp defeats much of the point of having one. Thanks for your help.
a very small percentage of them would fail within the expected life of the product, not common at all

So to these types of batteries generally have an approx life span of 3 or so years? Surely Viofo can’t be designing the cam to last only 3 years?

So to these types of batteries generally have an approx life span of 3 or so years? Surely Viofo can’t be designing the cam to last only 3 years?
we have cameras out there at coming on 7 years and the RTC batteries are still fine, like any battery it has a lifespan as to how many charge cycles it will last, will depend on usage as to how long that is, of course there will be the odd one that fails early, happens with any product

Just wanted to say thanks for the information. I ordered a bunch of these little MS621FE batteries. Removed the old and soldered on the new. Tip got a little hot and burnt the board a bit. It's back to keeping time/settings correctly again.

I'll probably proactively swap out these batteries in my Thinkware F770 and Blackvue DR650.
IMG_20210621_184041.jpg

Back