I have been searching for a good duo dash cam for my vstrom 650.

mtnman

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think i find the one i want and then look at video and its very disappointing. I dont want an action cam but do want good video. Why are MC dashcams still stuck in 1080p? It like using windows 95 compared to the technology of the day. If i want to do action, i would use my galaxy s20 ultra.

I am now looking at the blueskysea b1m but the video is disappointing aw well, even in RAW, assuming the people posting RAW is actually RAW.

If you are expecting gopro 7 - 8 levels of image quality, you are going to have to wait a few years at least.
Its the same for the car cameras, while 4K are out there for a year they are falling behind in bitrate, for this to catch up to current day action cameras we will also need at least a couple of years, if it ever get that far.

Something will have to be dont i think, more and more are wanting action camera / phone camera level footage of dashcams, so to me the makers have to make that happen, or those people will keep using action cameras and never buy a dash / handlebar camera.
As it is now i would hate having a 4K camera unloading 100 mbit footage to a tiny SD card, doing that my action camera fill up a 64Gb memory card pretty fast, so in a dashcam situation one would need at least a 256 GB memory card, and double that would not be one bit overkill.

The situation are sort of the same with CCTV cameras, you can have a 4K camera at the entrance of a store filming every face / person that enter, but you dont need to do that in 100 mbit, far from it.
Even at H.265 recording that entrance all day for hours on end will need a lot of memory, so that camera will probably only do 25 - 30 mbit, which are also just fine for people funneling thru a set of sliding doors.
My 1080p CCTV cameras only do 4 mbit, and that's actually fine, though the one that cover the front entrance and have the main street in view do struggle with the cars pasing buy at speed, but i have no interest in them only people walking on the side walk and approaching the door.

If you are expecting gopro 7 - 8 levels of image quality, you are going to have to wait a few years at least.
Its the same for the car cameras, while 4K are out there for a year they are falling behind in bitrate, for this to catch up to current day action cameras we will also need at least a couple of years, if it ever get that far.

Something will have to be dont i think, more and more are wanting action camera / phone camera level footage of dashcams, so to me the makers have to make that happen, or those people will keep using action cameras and never buy a dash / handlebar camera.
As it is now i would hate having a 4K camera unloading 100 mbit footage to a tiny SD card, doing that my action camera fill up a 64Gb memory card pretty fast, so in a dashcam situation one would need at least a 256 GB memory card, and double that would not be one bit overkill.

The situation are sort of the same with CCTV cameras, you can have a 4K camera at the entrance of a store filming every face / person that enter, but you dont need to do that in 100 mbit, far from it.
Even at H.265 recording that entrance all day for hours on end will need a lot of memory, so that camera will probably only do 25 - 30 mbit, which are also just fine for people funneling thru a set of sliding doors.
My 1080p CCTV cameras only do 4 mbit, and that's actually fine, though the one that cover the front entrance and have the main street in view do struggle with the cars pasing buy at speed, but i have no interest in them only people walking on the side walk and approaching the door.
Even 2k would be acceptable. What is the best video quality MC dash cam? I am not expecting 4k but also dont want to be looking at video thjat looks like you are looking thru a coke bottle.
thanks

Until recently 1080 was the limit for dual cameras, and everybody wants a dual camera for a bike.
Also we are only just getting to 2K for remote cameras, even for cars, and the car versions will always be developed first.
So I think you are stuck with 1080 for a while longer.

Have you looked at the Viofo MT1 https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-mt1-dual-motorcycle-dashcam-sample-video.40929/ ?
Not currently available, but should be soonish if you don't need it instantly.

Certainly doesn't look like a coke bottle!

Until recently 1080 was the limit for dual cameras, and everybody wants a dual camera for a bike.
Also we are only just getting to 2K for remote cameras, even for cars, and the car versions will always be developed first.
So I think you are stuck with 1080 for a while longer.

Have you looked at the Viofo MT1 https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-mt1-dual-motorcycle-dashcam-sample-video.40929/ ?
Not currently available, but should be soonish if you don't need it instantly.

Certainly doesn't look like a coke bottle!
ok lol. I dont really want to wait,whats the best video quality today? I am thinking the vsysto m2f pro or halocam m1 or blueskysea b1m???

Last edited:
What is it that you didn't like about the B1M footage?

I've not actually tested a B1M, but I would expect it to be decent. As estore009 points out, digital video cables give a significantly better image quality than the "analogy" video used by most, and the FHD resolution is adequate for most purposes. It is really only the lens quality and bitrate that might let it down a little which is why I suggested the Viofo which will be a little better on both lens quality and bitrate.

The biggest problem I've been seeing is from vibration due to poor mounting, sometimes very poor even on videos being used for promotion! This can hurt the video quality a lot.

I haven't tested the others you've mentioned, I lost interest in the analogy ones due to their rather dull video quality, like watching Youtube on a low speed connection! The Viofo MT1 I've currently got on my bicycle is excellent, and I expect the B1M is not far behind, if you give it a good mount.

Last edited:
Thank all, i ordered the B1M, unfortunately i have to wait from ebay for it to come from China. But there is a 5% off ebay bucks promo now and it was 125 shipped with GPS. I dont get the logic in most dashcam displays, they are not waterproof so they would go under the seat,doesnt make any sense. So if its going under the seat, who cares if there is a display? I can use my galaxy s20 ultra with always on mode to watch if i want and not have two displays on my handlebars. I talked to Blueskysea in LA, they said the B1M is the best video they have of their cams, for what thats worth.

Last edited:
So estore said is digital video signal and Nigel says its digital cables, which is correct?
Both, the digital cables are designed to carry a digital signal with zero degradation of the image quality, different to analog ones. Most dashcams are digital, but the remote cameras on the older/cheaper ones transmit the signal to the recorder over analogue, the newer/better ones use digital throughout.

Back