COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seem like just about anything will be open here soon.
irregular antibodies tests indicate less than 2% of Danes have been infected, 60% accurate antibody tests are shipped back to the maker in China, such a test need to be at least 10% better than that.
Our government has been holding out for a 98%+ accurate test, and finally we have one, not available yet but it is coming.

I hope you really have more than 2% immunity, it would explain your low number of deaths, and how you have managed to keep it out of the care homes, but 2% means you have a very long way left to go unless a vaccine arrives!

I see you are handing out cash again:

Brexit has some advantages!

That party are also not too popular here, but we are the little fellow in the class that will get bullied into doing something stupid
I was sort of hoping this could be the end of EU, or a major overhaul at least.
Personally i am sort of keen on the if it dont float let it sink.

Confidence?

Responding to President Trump’s call to develop 300 million doses of SARS-CoV-2 vaccine by January under Operation Warp Speed, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and AstraZeneca are collaborating to make available at least 300 million doses of a coronavirus vaccine called AZD1222, with the first doses delivered as early as October 2020.

The vaccine being developed by the Jenner Institute and Oxford Vaccine Group at the University of Oxford, now known as AZD1222, has been licensed to AstraZeneca and uses a vaccine platform technology which supports large-scale production. To speed vaccine development, AstraZeneca will advance its vaccine candidate into late-stage clinical studies in parallel with scaled manufacturing at BARDA’s Centers for Innovation and Advanced Development in Manufacturing (CIADM) in the United States. Working with the CIADMs enables development, technology transfer, and scaled-up manufacturing of the vaccine in the United States.

The chances of a major pharmaceutical corporation conducting proper, medically acceptable clinical and safety trials and then manufacturing and distributing 30 million doses by September is next to zero.
See, even Trump believes UK will have all we need by September and the USA can start taking deliveries in October!...
Maybe that is not a good sign, nothing Trump has said recently seems to be true :ROFLMAO:

It is normal for people to test positive again, but it is due to bits of dead virus coming out, not because they are reinfected.

I think it is obvious why they are reporting symptoms like headaches, even if they don't have symptoms they will want to get back off the ship:

That mask is going to get pretty nasty by the end of the cruise, and possibly lead to bacterial infections in the throat and lungs. Maybe that is the cause of the TB?

As I've observed and commented on in a few previous posts you have a peculiar habit of ignoring the flaws in your arguments I point out and then simply move the goal posts or change the subject.

So, I see here you've decided to double down and outright make stuff up!

You insult the sailors on the USS Theodore Roosevelt making the false claim that they are reporting headaches "even if they don't have symptoms" because they want to get off the ship, yet it is well documented that the sailors were reporting a range of "flu-like" COVID symptoms including fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, chills and nausea and unique COVID symptoms like loss of the ability to taste and smell. As for your habit of ignoring the facts and moving the goal posts, you conveniently skip over the facts that all of these sailors reporting their symptoms have again tested positive for COVID-19 after previously recovering from the disease and testing negative on multiple occasions.

Then you make the completely false and erroneous claim that it is "normal for people to test positive again, but it is due to bits of dead virus".

Recovered coronavirus patients from China, Italy, Japan, South Korea and the US have tested positive again after being discharged from the hospital. Significantly, most of these patients have become sickened again reporting fevers, coughing and all the other typical COVID symptoms. This is in fact the reason they were re-tested. People "might" conceivably test positive again from "dead virus bits" but they don't get sick again if that is the case. One COVID-19 patient who re-tested positive was a 36-year-old man from Wuhan who died five days later of respiratory tract obstruction and respiratory failure, after being declared fully recovered and released from the hospital.

There is intense debate amomg professionals about what is happening here and there are two competing theories. One theory postulates a reactivation of the virus whereas the other theory is a resurgence of the virus.

"A coronavirus infection’s going into a “dormant” stage and then re-emerging was another possibility for explaining the appearance of reinfection suggested by Dr. Philip M. Tierno, Clinical Professor of Microbiology and Pathology at at New York University: “Once you have the infection, it could remain dormant with minimal symptoms. And then you can get an exacerbation if it finds its way into the lungs.”

Lokesh Sharma, instructor of medicine in the Section of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep at Yale School of Medicine, said in a statement: "The most significant finding from our study is that half of the patients kept shedding the virus even after resolution of their symptoms. More severe infections have longer shedding times. This warrants us to investigate the 'shedding window' after the clinical recovery of the patient."

"Dr. Benjamin Neuman, a virologist and the head of the biology department at Texas A&M University-Texarkana, believes it’s not so much a reactivation of the virus as it is a resurgence.
Neuman thinks people are probably “being discharged with some virus still in them, and then the disease returns.”

Coronaviruses are generally not known to enter into an inactive phase and go dormant in the human body and then later reactivate like other virus strains such as Herpes, so that theory appears less likely but has not been discounted at this point. It is thought more likely that active virus is still extant in the bodies of people who have seemingly recovered from the disease as Dr. Neuman speculates.

Recent findings in Hong Kong and South Korea have found coronavirus in the lower respiratory tract, intestines and other organs long after recovering from COVID-19 yet repeatedly these patients test negative in their nasal passages and upper respiratory tracts at the same time. The result is that it is now being recommended that recovered patients should receive fecal swab testing before they can actually be declared healthy and discharged from hospitals.

In regard to these reports, as with the novel SARS-CoV-2 in general, everywhere you look, virology professionals are saying, "we need more data", "we need further research", "we need further observation", "we just don't know yet," etc.

And then there's you Nigel, who from the beginning of this thread makes one definitive blanket statement after another about how this disease functions in human populations as if you have it ALL figured out, knowing literally everything there is to know even about this new and unique disease when the true experts readily admit they still have much to learn about this, as yet poorly understood new virus strain which is behaving in so many unexpected ways.

As I've asked previously, how can it be possible that you make such definitive knowing pronouncements on all things COVID when the actual medical professionals, virologists and microbiologists readily admit that they do not yet fully understand their findings and say that further research is required. Well, we all know the answer to this question, don't we.

Last edited:
Nice exponential curve in the rate of lies there!

How come he is still in office? I can't imagine any other country putting up with that, or even it being legal, and yet nobody seems to even be calling for his removal, in fact his party appears to be putting him up as their candidate for the next election o_O
Today: "Trump Will Withdraw From 'Open Skies' Arms Control Treaty. " - he is getting rather dangerous!

Nice exponential curve in the rate of lies there!

How come he is still in office? I can't imagine any other country putting up with that, or even it being legal, and yet nobody seems to even be calling for his removal, in fact his party appears to be putting him up as their candidate for the next election o_O
Today: "Trump Will Withdraw From 'Open Skies' Arms Control Treaty. " - he is getting rather dangerous!

For once, we agree on something! :)

His "party" has basically become more of a cult than a traditional political party.

Some algorithm or something tell trump will loose next election monumental, some humans say dont be too sure about that.
Just like everything it is probably in the code in what that computer spit out.

Some algorithm or something tell trump will loose next election monumental, some humans say dont be too sure about that.
the trouble with these types of predictions is people see them and then think that it's a forgone conclusion and their vote won't matter, and then don't bother to vote, which can drastically effect the outcome one way or the other, particularly in a place where voting is not compulsory

I believe Trump will win a second election but will not see his 8th year of office. I said this before he was elected. Year 7 will be tough on him. I do not know what will happen but I predict something will happen to put the vice president in charge.

Donald Trump exaggerates and bloviates. That is his style. I doubt he has purposefully lied 18,000 times. Like everyone else he has made mistakes. Getting some facts wrong does not mean you lied.

particularly in a place where voting is not compulsory

I used to think compulsory voting would be a good thing, but on taking a close look and seeing how many fools there are falling for their favorite candidate's promissory lies, I think much differently now. Here in the US, and seemingly in many other places too, perhaps 20% to at the most 50% of the people are both intelligent enough to be allowed a vote and also understand the issues at hand well enough too. That test should apply doubly to candidates.

There are simply too many stupid people in this world to allow everyone the power of voting or holding office and it's easily seen what you get when that happens.

Phil

There are simply too many stupid people in this world to allow everyone the power of voting or holding office and it's easily seen what you get when that happens.
part of the problem is often we don't vote for who we like the most, we vote for who we hate the least, such is the quality of candidates

part of the problem is often we don't vote for who we like the most, we vote for who we hate the least, such is the quality of candidates
Often? More like 98% of the time. I can think of 2 candidates in my lifetime that I really liked and wanted to win. I can't think of many that I thought were the best possible candidate to put into office. I liked one candidate who ran for governor but he did not get past the primary. I keep seeing bad and worse candidates and end up voting for bad or not voting at all. When Obama and McCain were running for president I could barely tell the difference between them other than the color of their complexion. Skin tone alone hardly makes anyone want to run out and vote for a very similar candidate choice regardless of who wins.

Trouble with the algorithms, human or AI, is that they base the answer on past experience, and we don't have past experience of a Trump!

Progress:
Vaccine trial extended to 10,000 people including over 70s and children

Researchers have begun recruiting volunteers for the next two phases in clinical trials they hope could bring a coronavirus vaccine this year.
Now scientists want to recruit up to 10,260 people across the country for phases II and III, which involve vastly increasing the number of volunteers and expanding the age range to include older adults and children.

Work began in January on the vaccine, which uses a virus taken from chimpanzees and has been developed by the University of Oxford's Jenner Institute and the Oxford Vaccine Group. The apes tested were protected from pneumonia or a more severe form of the disease having tested positive. The first phase of trialling involved 160 healthy volunteers between 18 and 55 and has been deemed safe.

More progress:
London: Drug maker ‘AstraZeneca’ secured its first agreement Thursday for 400 million doses of a COVID-19 vaccine. ‘AstraZeneca’ has been provided with USD one billion to go had and make the vaccine.

Order placed
The Anglo-Swedish company reported it had received the money from the US Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority. The money will be used for the development, production and delivery of the vaccine, starting this fall.

The investment will accelerate the development and production of the vaccine, AstraZeneca Chief Executive Pascal Soriot said. The company had already joined forces with the British government. “We will do everything in our power to make this vaccine quickly and widely available,” said Soriot.

What AstraZeneca has to say
In a statement as markets opened, AstraZeneca said it has now secured manufacturing capacity for one billion doses. It aims to secure further agreements to expand capacity further over the next months. This will be done ‘to ensure the delivery of a globally accessible vaccine’.

The company also finalised its licence agreement with Oxford University for the vaccine, now known as ‘AZD1222’. The vaccine was developed by Oxford University’s Jenner Institute, working with the Oxford Vaccine Group.

I guess the lockdown did kill the flu, wonder where the "All deaths" line will go in the next update :

1590156915195.png

Corona death related death in Denmark are 0.6 in 1 mill, in Sweden it is a record high 6.1
Swedish scientists say heard immunity are far from there, in Stockholm only 7.1 % have antibodies,,,, i assume of the people tested and not the whole population, but either way far from the 60% they say it take at least.
The numbers for the rest of the country are even lower.
DKS.jpg

IMO the Swedish guy in charge, look more and more like Bill Gates.
70f6ec13-33f7-4d0e-8412-64f5c6305617.jpg

Some Swedish scientists call their approach for unrealistic and dangerous.

Also the university hospital in Skåne ( southern part of Sweden ) have closed 3 wards for new patients due to infracted staff, in one ward 50% of the staff was infected.

Last edited:
Donald Trump exaggerates and bloviates. That is his style. I doubt he has purposefully lied 18,000 times. Like everyone else he has made mistakes. Getting some facts wrong does not mean you lied.

It's common for people of your political persuasion to deny that Trump lies as much and as often as he does and indeed you are among the target audience that often tends to believe him. Nevertheless, Trump precisely meets the very definition of mythomania (i.e - compulsive liar.)

The fact is that his lies and false claims have been meticulously documented on an ongoing, periodically updated basis by several highly legitimate news organizations.

If you truly "doubt he has purposefully lied 18,000 times" @country_hick, you should take the time to explore the documentation. A vast number of these lies and false claims have been repeated on multiple occasions as is well documented by the Washington Post and others along with the corresponding corroborating sources, news reports, graphs and charts. The number of times Trump has lied or made false claims has spiked dramatically since the coronavirus pandemic began. Virtually all of these lies and false claims have been made on camera in front of reporters and audiences as well as recorded and archived on Twitter such that it is impossible to deny that he actually said what he said.

One of the most extensive accounts is the Washington Post's FACT CHECKER database. FACT CHECKER is on Media Bias / Fact Check's list of the The 10 Best Fact Checking Websites for 2020.

Washington Post FACT CHECKER: Tracking all of President Trump’s false or misleading claims - In 1,170 days, President Trump has made 18,000 false or misleading claims

Another source to explore is Politifact, a project of the Poynter Institute. Media Bias / Fact Check describes the Poynter Institute as among the "Least Biased" news organizations: "a leader in distinguished journalism and produces nothing but credible and evidence based content". " If Poynter reports it, you can count on it being true."

So check out:

PolitiFact:
Latest False Fact-checks on Donald Trump

There's also plenty of other good reporting and editorial work from well regarded journalists.

New York Times:
Trump's Lies

Vanity Fair: Every Time Trump Opens His Mouth, Nine Lies Fly Out: Coronavirus Edition

Forbe's: Trump Is Lying More Than Ever: Just Look At The Data

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back