Few questions about Dashcams - Please help

jsan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
What's a good top of the line dashcam these days? I used to be really into all the new and upcoming dashcams back in 2012-2014. I haven't kept up since then.

My current dashcam is Street Guardian SG9665GC. It's decent dashcam and it records fine, but the quality isn't there. And since its so big, its mounted a bit away from the windshield which results in a lot of glare from the dash and it reflects in the videos. I thought about a CPL filter but that darkens the already bad night time video.

I think if there was a wayto butt the lens of the dashcam right against the windshield, that would get rid of most of the glare.

Like the way the Lane keep assist or lane departure cameras are mounted on the windshields

l3ZJ7Zg.jpg

LAnP6JD.jpg

oEwSWgr.jpg

I'm not certain, but by the looks of it, I think these would not have much glare.

And are there any 4K 60FPS dashcams out yet?

I would get a gopro hero 8 to use as a dashcam, the superwide view is phenomenal. But the lack of looped recording and heating issues keeps me away. I tried looking for a custom firmware that would allow looped recording similar to a dashcam but nothing like that exists I guess.

So please recommend a good dashcam that has top video quality, price isn't an issue.

Last edited:
No i see a white box with the text " Blocked of politics for X-frame - options" ( in Danish )
And " firefox prevented this page in being read in this context, becuz the page have a politics for x-frame-options that prevent it"

Last edited:
found his images

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

yes these would avoid glare, no dashcam equivalent at this time though

4k cameras are challenged when it comes to heat, low light performance isn't great either

Wasent there a camera like that a while back ?
The shape ASO it was just regular 1080p with not impressive specs as i recall.
There are about a handful of true 4K cameras out there yet, and they do sort of okay in the daytime, but for dashcam standards ( modest bitrate ) they are far from the 100 mbit of high end action cameras, and only 4K/30 FPS

Night time remain a challenge for all dashcams, even the ones that do best in low light, so what ever you get now and in the years to come you should not expect too much from low light performance, for that to happen we literally need some kind of miracle.
If you are bothered with the little light a CPL steal, then you should not use one but get s flat black dashmat instead ( i run both ) but a dashmat even one designed to your car are not the most pretty thing in the world, but if you can live with that is is a good option to fight glare in the windscreen.

Even if we had 4K and say H.265 in 40 - 50 mbit or so ( which i think are well above the bitrate of current 4K systems ), you are looking at pretty massive files, you will also need a large memory card, at the very - very least 128GB, but really you should think 256GB or more.

PS: The cameras in the pictures above, they cant be more than 45 degrees FOV, thats A LOT less than what you see in dashcams.

I'm not certain, but by the looks of it, I think these would not have much glare.

And are there any 4K 60FPS dashcams out yet?

I would get a gopro hero 8 to use as a dashcam, the superwide view is phenomenal. But the lack of looped recording and heating issues keeps me away. I tried looking for a custom firmware that would allow looped recording similar to a dashcam but nothing like that exists I guess.

So please recommend a good dashcam that has top video quality, price isn't an issue.
Not much glare, but also not enough field of view to see what is happening around your car, only directly in front.

No, but you can have 2K 60fps or 4K 30fps from the Viofo A129 Pro.

I have read that the GoPro Hero 8, as well as no loop recording, can't record and charge at the same time, which is a bit limiting for dashcam use!

For a single dashcam, Viofo A119 V3, or if you want higher resolution A129 Pro.
For a dual dashcam, Viofo A129 Pro Duo.

Why do you keep suggesting a camera that overheats and has other bugs that remain unaddressed?
He is in Canada, it is not going to overheat there!

Other bugs; seems to work very well for most people, some people have problems when using parking mode and 2 channels with some memory cards, a few people seem to have problems with any memory card, but there is an upcoming firmware update with new SDK. Not sure what the current situation is with that.

If I want high quality video then the A129 Pro is the camera I choose.
For the best dashcam footage in lower light levels, the A119 V3.

Others agree:

He is in Canada, it is not going to overheat there!

Other bugs; seems to work very well for most people, some people have problems when using parking mode and 2 channels with some memory cards, a few people seem to have problems with any memory card, but there is an upcoming firmware update with new SDK. Not sure what the current situation is with that.

If I want high quality video then the A129 Pro is the camera I choose.
For the best dashcam footage in lower light levels, the A119 V3.

Others agree:

You didn't answer the question.

Shill!

Akenori made the cam @kamkar1 refers to. The concept is sound but it took a LOT of 'real estsate' on the windshield which limited mounting options. It didn't seem to be on the market very long.

Add my voice to those warning about cams with reliability issues. Even if everything else about them is perfect, the cam which wasn't recording when you needed it to is junk :mad:

Phil

You didn't answer the question.

Shill!
Why don't you recommend an alternative with higher video quality, then he will have several to investigate and choose between?

Last edited:
I hate recommending something i have not tried myself, but most times that is what i will have to do.
But yeah i would look for a 1440p camera too, i am not over the moon with the current 4K cameras,,,,,, though i would like to try one of them.
I also have to admit by now this "recommend me a dashcam" bit, it feel like a blur to me, and i cant even imaging how other more active in that game must feel.

Of course the fact it is 2 in the afternoon and i am deadly tires and just desperately try to hang on for another 4-5 hours before i go to bed,,,, and hopefully fall asleep right away. Well it dosent help.
I had plans for today but they are all scrapped, wonderful sunshine outside and i sit her trying not to headbutt my computer table every 10 minutes.

Why don't you recommend an alternative with higher video quality, then he will have several to investigate and choose between?

Do correct me if I'm wrong but perhaps if you made it clear that you're beta-testing this cam for Viofo along with the price you paid for it. Full disclosure of pertinent facts makes all the difference in the world :cautious: Maybe the Pro does have the best vids, but if it's not recording when you need it to and should be doing that, then it is not very good as a dashcam. Reliability is the paramount and absolute quality needed in a dashcam before it can be considered to be good ;)

As an alternative there are several slightly lower-specced cams offering nearly as good vid quality under most circumstances.

Phil

Not having any of the 4K cameras, it do sound like the viofo actually have the best footage of those.
I also think one guy in here having the big 3 4K cameras said that ( viofo - thinkware - blackvue )

And yes it do seem like the viofo have some issues, many if not most related to parking mode, but if that's not used ?
And to my understanding ( lacking in regard to firmware development ) it should be fixable in firmware, and viofo do update firmware.
So if you was to venture out on a thin limb, viofo are by far not the worst brand to do that with, but it also sound like OP are probably not willing to go there.

If you look at 1440p you stand a better chance of finding a good camera, and the A119 V3 are a contender there.

/me pitching himself for a job in high level diplomacy :whistle:

If you look at 1440p you stand a better chance of finding a good camera, and the A119 V3 are a contender there.
As an upgrade to the SG9665GC, the A119 V3 with a CPL fitted would be a very good choice, noting that with the rather more sensitive Starvis sensor, fitting the CPL causes less problems in low light than with the older less sensitive sensors.

However it won't match the GoPro Hero 8 mentioned in the OP, for that with sufficient bitrate and dynamic range to produce the move quality video, the A129 Pro comes closest.

If movies is actually the target, and noting the comment in the OP about size, the Gitup F1 might be of interest, it is more an action camera than a dashcam, but it does have a better choice of exposure and low noise for movie making than than most dashcams.

None of these cameras comes close to overheating in the UK unless left sitting in the sun in a parked car at midday in summer with all the windows closed, in which case the A129 Pro may shut down for a while before restarting when it cools down.

Back