Recover a bricked cam

TeXniKK

Reaction score
Country
Uganda
Hello,

I have a Dash Cam 55 which doesn't boot at all and is not detected via USB. Battery voltage is ok. Does anybody know is there any way to force it to some recovery mode to be able to reflash firmware?
Thanks

Sometimes a defective SD card can prevent it from proper operation. Have you tried powering it without one?
If that doesn't work, hard reset or call Garmin support.

Tried without sd card - still no reaction. I'm not sure it's covered by Garmin support as it's a second hand device.
I've fond that there is a software called Direct USB which can unbrick Ambarella A12-based cameras. But you need to press some key combination on the camera to be detected via USB bootloader. And there is no such info for DashCam 55 which is A12-based

Did you try factory reset?

True direct USB, but to use that software you also need the .elf file to the camera, just connecting to it and disconnect will do nothing.
Direct USB are a flashing software, but i dont think it work with .bin files at all, every time i have used it for other cameras i have always used a .elf file

Did you try factory reset?
In case you're refferring to "holding power button for 12sec" then yes, I've tried that,no reaction. Pls advice if there is any other way to make a factory reset I've missed

True direct USB, but to use that software you also need the .elf file to the camera, just connecting to it and disconnect will do nothing.
Direct USB are a flashing software, but i dont think it work with .bin files at all, every time i have used it for other cameras i have always used a .elf file
Yep, but elf file is a second step, and first one is to force camera to flashing(bootloader) mode, which I can't find how to do

Yes you are right, you usually need to press a button on the camera, the ones i used in combination with direct USB it was however only one button you should press for the software to be able to see the camera.
I have no idea what to do with a garmin camera, never owned one of those.

To reset the Dash Cam:

1. Power the device off and disconnect from power
>> 2. Wait 5 seconds
>> 3. Press and hold down the bottom two buttons (down arrow and save)
>> 4. Continue to hold the bottom two buttons and plug in the device
>> - The LED on the device should turn red
>> 5. After the red LED turns off, release the down arrow button, but continue to hold the bottom button
>> - After several seconds, the device will reset and display the Garmin logo, and the bottom button can be released

A master reset will reset all of the device's settings to factory default values and will clear any saved satellite data. It will not delete saved or unsaved photos or videos.

To reset the Dash Cam:

1. Power the device off and disconnect from power
>> 2. Wait 5 seconds
>> 3. Press and hold down the bottom two buttons (down arrow and save)
>> 4. Continue to hold the bottom two buttons and plug in the device
>> - The LED on the device should turn red
>> 5. After the red LED turns off, release the down arrow button, but continue to hold the bottom button
>> - After several seconds, the device will reset and display the Garmin logo, and the bottom button can be released

A master reset will reset all of the device's settings to factory default values and will clear any saved satellite data. It will not delete saved or unsaved photos or videos.

Unfortunately didn't help. Red LED doesn't turn on and LCD doesn't light up either

You will need to use the vehicle power supply for the master reset to work.

Were you able to resolve the issue? I have exactly same issue with my Dashcam 65W - stuck on updating to version 4.40. Now no leds flashing, screen not responding. If I hold power for 12 seconds - it shows as malfunctioned USB device in Windows

Back