Does credit card extended warranty apply to dashcams?

budster

Reaction score
Country
United States
At least in the U.S., most credit cards have an extended warranty benefit that usually add 1 year on top of the manufacturer's warranty. Has anyone ever filed a claim for a dashcam under such an extended warranty? I was looking at the details of Chase's extended warranty benefit (https://www.chasebenefits.com/freedom), and in the exclusions, it states: "Boats, automobiles, aircraft, and any other motorized vehicles and their motors, equipment, or accessories, including trailers and other items that can be towed by or attached to any motorized vehicle".

I'm thinking technically, dashcams are probably excluded as they could be considered a car accessory. But wondering if anyone has ever had experience with this. Maybe if a claim was filed, they could be described as a surveillance camera instead to get around the exclusions?

I don't need to file such a claim now, but as I was looking to buy another dashcam, I was thinking about which credit card to use for the purchase and then started thinking about this since some credit cards have a better extended warranty (or easier claim process) than others.

Yes, I had a Viofo A119V1 where the Lens mount broke within the one year extended warranty period. The credit card company– American Express–reimbursed me after I sent them the receipt and the warranty information.

Yes, I had a Viofo A119V1 where the Lens mount broke within the one year extended warranty period. The credit card company– American Express–reimbursed me after I sent them the receipt and the warranty information.

Thanks for sharing that. Did you have to provide a repair estimate and if so, how did you get one? That is often something hard to obtain for certain products when filing an extended warranty claim. I think American Express often doesn't require a repair estimate if the claim is for a relatively small amount, but the extended warranty benefit provider for other credit cards are usually strict about this. Also, if I recall right, American Express makes the claim process very easy and the entire claim process can be done online.

Unfortunately, the American Express card I have (Blue Cash) dropped the extended warranty benefit this year, like many other credit cards (e.g. Discover) to cut costs.

Yes, I Try to use my American Express card In part because the process is so easy. The camera was something like $98, So they didn't Request a repair estimate. They just credited the amount To my account. When I had to have an Apple laptop repaired It was much more expensive, Like $375, Then I did have to submit an Estimate Which I got from the Apple Store. American express Then went ahead and reimbursed me for the estimate Amount.

First of all sorry for bumping this grandpa's age post. I am doing this because I want to know is it possible to extend the dashcam battery with your credit card or not. And I really appreciate Smiley(cute name) for giving me the suggestion regarding my question. I am so happy I have found your post. i need a cash loan and that is why I was searching for a site online through which I can get help regarding loans. It is my first time taking a loan and that is why I don't have enough information online regarding this. When I was searching for the information online regarding loans, I found your post as well.

Last edited:
Back