Speedy pregnant driver flies off bridge hits train

you may be surprised to learn that people were having accidents before googling was even a thing
But we didn't have high tension wire barriers back then!

wire rope barriers have been here for quite some time, it's not a new invention
We needed to invent the high tension steel rope and high strength steel posts before decent ones were feasible, the modern ones predate Google by only a few years, thankfully we have wikipedia:

Although cable barriers have been used since the 1960s it was not until the mid-1990s that many departments of transportation began to deploy them with any regularity.

In many countries of the European Union these cable barriers are not allowed to be used along highways as they are perceived to be especially hazardous for motorcyclists. However, a study of motorcyclist injury rates for several types of highway barrier did not find an appreciable difference in fatal and severe injuries between cable and W-beam barriers. Both were significantly more hazardous than concrete barriers but less hazardous than none.

I can recall the wire barriers for as long as i can recall the E45 motorway, but i cant say if it was used on other motorways thru out the country.
Fumy think though the regular steel barriers i do recall but always on the outside of the roads,,,,,,,, here we even have some old ones in concrete too.

Guy painting concrete barrier ( not K / Y rail type )

images

I read now that it is actually a Danish invention from the 30ties

If that is true,,,,,, you are welcome world :)

Last edited:
Those who have not ridden in highway traffic can't fully understand. On a bike, you simply cannot allow anyone to hit you at all in the least or you are almost certain to crash. So when a cager wants your space you have to take whatever alternative you have available to you, which is sometimes only an off-pavement excursion into the median or verge where you can only hope to not fall down until you can get back onto the pavement. That hope doesn't always transpire into reality :eek: Any posted barricade is bad for riders when compared to a walled one. This too was a considered aspect in the development of "Jersey barriers" (y) In fact, this was the very first time that this was officially taken into consideration concerning barrier design :cool: although it was more of an afterthought than a true consideration :cautious: Plenty of hidden dangers for riders which drivers do not face or see because they are not similarly affected.

As bad as this are drainage gratings placed beside the barriers on the paved shoulders past the travel lanes. Here in SC the spacing of the grating bars is so wide that a motorcycle tire will drop right into there, so now instead of you having avoided the crash from some idiot taking your space you will be launched right over the handlebars with your flying rapidly rotating bike right behind you waiting to crush and smear you along the pavement when it lands on you :cry: The simple solution is to not align those bars parallel to the roadway, but cross-wise instead, yet here in SC they haven't done that :mad: And they do know about the problem as I and many others have contacted the proper authorities explaining this to no avail. Worst is that these drain gratings I speak of are square and could easily be turned 90 degrees for only the cost of the labor, or done as the gratings and drains are beinmg serviced thus reducing costs to nearly nothing but they still will not do this :devilish:

As a rider it is entirely up to you to CYOA- nobody else is going to make any allowance for you and nobody else cares one whit about you or any rights or legal protections you might have. Your survival depends entirely on that gray mass between your ears and how well you use it. Now ride accordingly and take with you my wishes for a safe and pleasant trip, for there is a special joy in riding which is unlike anything else and it is well worth experiencing as often as you can :giggle:

Phil

Angry bikers kicking things ASO, and then crash do make me laugh, it is the knife to gunfight conundrum you only want to be in if you are the one with the gun.

I have of course also done this myself on my bicycle as a kid, but i am not repeating that again.

Those who have not ridden in highway traffic can't fully understand. On a bike, you simply cannot allow anyone to hit you at all in the least....
I understand what you're saying. I used to ride years ago until I came to the sudden and instantaneous realization of how easy it is to totally lose control of the bike with disastrous results through no fault of the rider - and not even factoring in others on the road which only exacerbate the risks. The only reason I'm here today is my epiphany occurred on the outside of a curve versus the inside where I would have ended up playing 'chicken' with oncoming traffic. For me anyhow, no amount of joy or gratification can make up for the loss of functioning limbs and an intact cranium housing functional gray matter.

@DT MI
I fully respect that and you too. It is a choice you made willingly that is likely best for you. I wouldn't hesitate trying to ride again if my back were still up to it (which I don't know) and if traffic were like it was when I stopped riding (which it most certainly isn't :eek:) so I'm along with you here for different reasons. But if I were to move to a better place for riding, I'd probably start back if I could. The benefits to me outweigh the risks, and that kind of thing varies with each of us.

Unlike most folks, I honestly have no great desire to live much longer. The dreams in life I've had which have any chance of coming true and being lived have already been fulfilled with me :cool: I am a very lucky person in this indeed. The pains and problems of aging I have now are at the level of what most people see only when they are ten years older than I am :( Nobody needs me or relies on me or would lose much with me gone. I'm fine with that too, maybe this was something I aimed for unconsciously, I dunno. I can still do some good for people and I want to do that. But I'm a realist, and I know I'll never see a tropical island in the South Pacific, or tour the world, or tour what parts of the US which I haven't seen or which I want to revisit. I have already done and have seen more that 3 average people ever will. I've been blessed, and I'm still blessed in some ways, but at this point I'm getting a little tired of waiting for whatever comes next, and the only thing I have to look forward to is drawing my SS retirement in a couple years (if I last that long) which will allow me to take a slower more measured approach to life and work with no more pressure from clocks. calendars, and impatient people wanting everything done perfectly as of yesterday :mad: Maybe after that my outlook will change, but as of right now if I keel over dead I will die contentedly and I will let it happen. I completely understand that most folks see thing differently than I do, and I hope that you too can leave this life this contentedly yourself when your time comes, for it is going to come for all of us sooner or later. I sit here waiting for God to pull the plug on me and if he's too slow in doing that then I reserve the right to pull my own plug in whatever manner I choose. I've had a damn good run at life and I'm as happy as I can see me ever being right now, so there's no point in me hanging around in hope of better or more- it ain't gonna happen. But maybe- just maybe- I'll get to enjoy rebuildi8ng a very fine motorcycle to ride it once again, and to enjoy once again what it offers me which I haven't had in a very long time :D

Peace and the best of everything to you, and may you never have any regrets about choices you make or have made. Enjoy what's left for us for as long as you wish to (y)

Phil

If there was no other Americans on the roads and i had won the lotto, i would so get a MC license and do my dream US tour on a bike.
But as things are i think maybe just do it in a American car and be sort if safe.

Am I the only one to point out this video is completely worthless?

Am I the only one to point out this video is completely worthless?

No you're not. The YT comments section is full of people essentially saying the same thing, mostly because they want to see the full carnage- not just how it began.

Phil

Hehe yeah most want to see that SUV go over the edge so they can go " Holy .... "
TBH i think if the TV station left that out, my hope for the future of mankind just got a little kick upwards.

The dashcammer gave the Police and the insurance companies involved the full video with his refusal to allow them to share the last part publicly. He didn't think it appropriate to show any more due to the fatalities, and TBH I'm OK with that.

Phil

Thats nice. hope is invigorated.

That BTW is also the title of the next star wars movie :giggle:

Back to the video, it does look like there was a problem where large degree of steering was invoked - possibly by someone goofing around, but with unexpected results, it was travelling a bit fast but not that bad to cause the problem seen.
Comes under shouldn't have happened.

Back to the video, it does look like there was a problem where large degree of steering was invoked - possibly by someone goofing around, but with unexpected results, it was travelling a bit fast but not that bad to cause the problem seen.
Comes under shouldn't have happened.
Those QX56’s are pretty too heavy and weigh in between 5,400-5,700lbs. It looks like she was moving pretty good and over corrected. Check out how much the steering angle changed to the right before it spun around. She gave a lot of steering input. That must have been a terrifying 200 foot free fall

You know watching again it looks like she may have not been paying attention/distracted and she initially didn’t even try to make the turn and went into the camera car’s lane before she most likely panicked and turned too sharply upsetting the weight transfer and then she over corrected. Definitely driver error.

You know watching again it looks like she may have not been paying attention/distracted and she initially didn’t even try to make the turn and went into the camera car’s lane before she most likely panicked and turned too sharply upsetting the weight transfer and then she over corrected. Definitely driver error.
I think the rear end lost grip when it went over a bump, and I guess the aerodynamics generate a lot of lift at that speed so it didn't have much grip on the rear anyway. Certainly driver error, but vehicles shouldn't be designed so they behave like that, or if they are then they should have a speed limiter to keep them safe!

Back