A129 Duo Rear Camera Issues

packman

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had the A129 Duo installed in my F150 for about a year. Over that time, the rear camera would randomly just stop working. No audio notifications ever from the camera, I would only notice by either having the screen on the camera attached to the dash only showing the front facing camera, or if that screen was off I would have no idea until I went to retrieve my recordings. I contact Viofo and since my camera was out of warranty, the only thing I could do would be to buy a new replacement rear camera - so I did.

I installed this new rear camera - along with the new cable and the rear camera is never recognized. I have tried different firmware, different power sources, even different vehicles and neither the old or new rear camera ever turns on or is recognized by the A129 front camera. Is there something else I can try or am I just out of luck here?

I'd like to point out that the front camera works great and I have never had any issues with the recordings from it. I am just no longer able to use the rear camera at all, which is why I bought the Duo version of the A129.

unusual for a replacement to also have the same issue, unless the problem was actually in the front camera

I had the A129 Duo installed in my F150 for about a year. Over that time, the rear camera would randomly just stop working. No audio notifications ever from the camera, I would only notice by either having the screen on the camera attached to the dash only showing the front facing camera, or if that screen was off I would have no idea until I went to retrieve my recordings. I contact Viofo and since my camera was out of warranty, the only thing I could do would be to buy a new replacement rear camera - so I did.

I installed this new rear camera - along with the new cable and the rear camera is never recognized. I have tried different firmware, different power sources, even different vehicles and neither the old or new rear camera ever turns on or is recognized by the A129 front camera. Is there something else I can try or am I just out of luck here?

I'd like to point out that the front camera works great and I have never had any issues with the recordings from it. I am just no longer able to use the rear camera at all, which is why I bought the Duo version of the A129.

Assuming you already tried another cable to rule out the cable as the issue, the front unit is the culprit. Remember, the rear camera relies upon being connected to the mini usb port of the front camera. Main unit sounds like the root cause of your problem.

Yes, I think that might be the issue here. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do to fix this if that is the problem. I was just hoping someone here had run into the same issue and maybe had a fix for the rear camera not working or had run into similar issues with their A129 Duo.

Yes, I think that might be the issue here. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do to fix this if that is the problem. I was just hoping someone here had run into the same issue and maybe had a fix for the rear camera not working or had run into similar issues with their A129 Duo.

Did you reach out to Viofo Tech Support and your warranty was declined or are you assuming they will not assist because the camera is out of warranty?

Yes I did. Since it was out of warranty, they did not offer anything but a 5% discount on a new rear camera. Thinking that was the issue, I bought it, but now I have 2 rear camera's that do not work with the front camera.

Yes I did. Since it was out of warranty, they did not offer anything but a 5% discount on a new rear camera. Thinking that was the issue, I bought it, but now I have 2 rear camera's that do not work with the front camera.

How long have you owned the camera for before the failure? Just over a year? Or longer?

Unmount the front unit and check with a magnified glass under a powerful source of light if everything is ok in the rear cam connector (any piece of dirt inside, one of the pins bended, etc). Maybe is something that obstruct a perfect connection with any cable you are using.
Cheers.

Sent from1+7T using Tapatalk Pro

Hello Guys,

I had a problem like in the video with Viofo A129G Duo firmware 1.9 (audio is in Polish, but you can see what's going on):
https://streamable.com/3lvbg5.

The front camera itself works ok, when you attach the rear camera, problems begin and the whole system freezes and does not work, after removing the rear camera, the front camera itself works ok

My suspicions fell on:
- damaged port of the front (main) camera, to which the rear camera is attached
- damaged 6m signal cable between the front - rear cameras
- rear camera socket damaged
- damaged rear camera

I tried:
- careful inspection of the cable and plugs - it looks ok
- inspection of camera sockets for plugs - it looks ok
- cleaning the contacts in the camera and cable sockets (compressed air and cleaner for electronic contacts)
- restore the default settings of the main camera
- format the memory card

All this did not help.

The camera was sent to the store (warranty), they sent back after 3 weeks and repaired with a small description:

"Repair replacement of the motherboard and rear camera lens"

(it follows that the rear camera probably died for some reason, but there are no details, and I have no idea why the lens was replaced, it was in perfect condition.)

Back