Dash cam power supply

sfinx

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
I'd like to ask a question - I need to instal longer cable (USB - Mini USB-B) in a car as power supply for dashcam. But when I do this, camera will start to blink and keeps shutting down, memory errors and such troubles (not usable). Several cables (also widths of them) tried. It seems to me that camera does not have enough power to run. But power supply (powerbank or car lighter) are enough with different (shorter) cable.
Any solution?
Thanks.

Always best to extend the 12 volt power, not the USB power.

If you need a longer USB cable then look for one with a low AWG rating, 24 AWG is the highest value you should use, 22 would be better. The lower the AWG the less voltage will be lost along the cable, your problems are caused by low voltage.

don't use a longer USB cable, move your power supply closer to the camera and a shorter USB cable and you won't have problems

Thank you for replies.
I also had idea to replace USB charging cable with regular one modified with USB connector on the end (I hope I would be able to do that with 5 cms of USB cable on the end soldered to regular cable..? Is that stupid idea?
I am not experienced in this area and my knowledge is very limited ... But if there is a problem only with USB cable and power cable from/to lighter socekts, for example can be longer (as I understand), would that be possible?

If so, should I only use orange and white cable as (+) and (-) and try it?

Attachments

• 6944434_f1024.jpg
    6944434_f1024.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 11
BTW: Cable bought has 28 AWG, so I suppose that is way too much. I never heard of this value. Thanks for clarification of this one.

BTW: Cable bought has 28 AWG, so I suppose that is way too much. I never heard of this value. Thanks for clarification of this one.
That is cable for data only, not for charging/power, this is causing your problem.
A "charging cable" should be 24 or 22 AWG.

5 cms of USB cable on the end soldered to regular cable..? Is that stupid idea?
You are likely to lose too much voltage in the 5cm, might seem silly, but that is likely to happen.
You can buy a mini USB plug + USB A plug and use 12 volt 5 amp automotive cable to make the whole cable with just power (5V) and GND (0V), but it is probably easier to just buy a 22 AWG USB charging cable.

It is best to extend the 12 volt, not the USB, so a 12 volt extension cable from your accessory socket to the USB charger is a good solution, this will give no voltage loss at the USB cable.

That is cable for data only, not for charging/power, this is causing your problem.
A "charging cable" should be 24 or 22 AWG.

Damn Aliexpress, they said "charging cable" in title :D :D :D
But to be honest, I would not know even if they would write AWG value. I searched for that and it's not used widely in Europe. More like ø mm or mm2.

You are likely to lose too much voltage in the 5cm, might seem silly, but that is likely to happen.
You can buy a mini USB plug + USB A plug and use 12 volt 5 amp automotive cable to make the whole cable with just power (5V) and GND (0V), but it is probably easier to just buy a 22 AWG USB charging cable.

It is best to extend the 12 volt, not the USB, so a 12 volt extension cable from your accessory socket to the USB charger is a good solution, this will give no voltage loss at the USB cable.
I think I'll try the first or last option. To find 5 metres long USB A - mini B cable with such specification is also problematic. I did not search for long, but for now I have found only something on Amazon without delivery to my country. So 12 volt automotive cable or moving the socket closer can be easier.

Thank you very much for help.

But to be honest, I would not know even if they would write AWG value. I searched for that and it's not used widely in Europe. More like ø mm or mm2.
Yes, mm² is the correct measurement for everybody except USA, but for USB cables we all use AWG, like we use inches for screen size!

Note, if you buy a cable for mini USB, there are 2 types, 10 pin and 5 pin, you need the correct type.

Yes, mm² is the correct measurement for everybody except USA, but for USB cables we all use AWG, like we use inches for screen size!

Note, if you buy a cable for mini USB, there are 2 types, 10 pin and 5 pin, you need the correct type.
Thanks, 5 pins only. ;)

and to make it even more confusing.. AWG is "backwards" to common thinking.. most of the time, the larger the number, the larger the size, however in American Wire Gauge unit of measure, the smaller the number, the thicker the wire. the larger the number, the thinner the wire.

and to make it even more confusing.. AWG is "backwards" to common thinking.. most of the time, the larger the number, the larger the size, however in American Wire Gauge unit of measure, the smaller the number, the thicker the wire. the larger the number, the thinner the wire.
That is also what I wondered about. Firstly I though it is fraction of inch ... like 1/22 of inch is about 1,15 mm.

But then I saw table of AWG, mm and mm²:
1 AWG ~ ø 7,3481 mm ~ 42,4077 mm²
10 AWG ~ ø 2,5882 mm ~ 5,2612 mm²

Anything measured in "gauge" usually numbers backwards, as it was originally used as a reference to weight or a given-sized volume. 1ga would fill that volume/weight, half the size was 2ga because it took 2 to give that same volume/weight. Sheet metals, wires, gun bore sizes, and many other things work similarly. But one must be careful because different countries can have different standards so a 15ga in England may not equal a 15ga here in the US. Luckily wire gauge sizes are usually close enough to work wherever they come from (y)

Sad to be living in one of the last nations on Earth (and by far the biggest one) which hasn't adopted the sanity and ease of use of the metric system :cry: though I am personally a little more fluent with it than most folks here.

Phil

Back