VIOFO A119 V3

Why would you need to do that when with simple logic it could be implemented with the current single lens?

I'm not sure what simple logic you may be speaking of but it has been suggested that optimizing a single channel dash cam for both day AND night HDR is not that easy to achieve and may be more than its processor can handle.

Two channels could eliminate the problems being discussed here, especially the double exposure issues exhibited when HDR is enabled during the day. In addition, two channels would allow exposure parameters and other settings to be highly optimized for day or night without having to stress the resources of the processor's capabilities. For example, this scheme would not require the camera to change its settings on the fly for day or night as you suggest as they would be dedicated to each channel in their menu options. I believe this approach is more likely to be achievable than on a single channel camera. Conceivably, there could even be two similar but different lenses used to enhance each channel's intended purpose, such as a faster night lens. Perhaps HDR could be implemented on one channel and not the other or the choice of WDR "or" HDR for each channel could be a menu option, although I'm not sure if that would be technically possible.

HDR has a lot of potential but it is highly problematic and has drawbacks and trade offs. When attempted previously in other cameras it has been abandoned because it is very difficult to get it to function properly. In fact, many here may remember when Viofo attempted HDR three years ago on an older A119 version but never put it into production. (see: HDR will be added on A119.) The Mobius 2 camera also attempted HDR, initially with outstanding results in some situations but many compromises in other conditions and it too was abandoned.

HDR, as implemented in the A119 V3 (as was the case with the M2) uses the camera's 60 frame per second capability to shoot two simultaneous 30 fps images. One of the 30 fps images is optimized for the shadows and the other 30 fps image is optimized for the bright highlights and they are then superimposed over one another to create a single high dynamic range video image for each of the 30 frames. This technique works beautifully for still photography but is difficult in a low end SoC video device like a dash cam. So far at least, it only seems to work well in high end cinematography level cameras.

From the looks of examples being posted here in this thread the V3 appears to have trouble syncing the registration of the two HDR 30 frame images when capturing other vehicles at speed, hence the double exposures we're seeing. I wonder if @viofo might be able to address the problem of these out of registration double images in a future firmware update or whether it is simply baked into the cake in the processor implementation? Without a proper fix, it makes the issue of motion blur when HDR is enabled intolerable, especially when compared to the excellent 60 fps results without the out of registration double images.

I've been experimenting with a V3 myself and was delighted when I saw that the new firmware update included the HDR function at long last. On the first day I was thrilled with the performance but on the second day when operating the camera under a wider variety of different lighting conditions I was astonished to see how bad the HDR double exposure issue really was when I examined the footage carefully. On the third day I disabled HDR and found the 60 fps second performance to be far better with capturing moving objects but bright lighting conditions become a problem, especially where I live because I am constantly driving under a canopy of trees out into bright open sunlight where the camera becomes overwhelmed with blown out highlights. I may revert to v1.3 but I plan to experiment further with the camera settings and see if I can improve the exposure.

V3_HDR.jpg

BTW, two channel, dual lens CCTV cameras have been around for at least 15 years now, if not longer. They have one channel optimized for daytime and the other that only works in the dark. When the light fades to about 5 lux a photoresisitor switches off the daylight camera and switches on the night channel until morning when it reverses. It is basically the same concept I propose now that we have dual channel DSPs for dash cams. I've had one of those dual channel CCTV cameras on one of my buildings and it has been in service for quite some time. It is a real workhorse and it is what got me thinking of the idea to implement it in a dash cam. We actually discussed this idea many years ago here on DCT but the technology to make it happen didn't exist at that time.

dual-dome2.jpg

Last edited:
So you’d need 2 image sensors, 1 dedicated to day and the other to night?

Sorry not trying to be awkward but to me it would make more sense to spend the cost of duplicating on a single good lens and image sensor.

I will be honest I’ve never seen a dual lens CCTV cam before so am off to see how they work [emoji3] I’ve got a CCTV system with Dahua cams, only 2Mp but the cams cope with switching between day and night and can be set to use differing profiles, so that I can configure them with different settings per day and night profiles.

Just looked at that cam, pretty crap spec with very poor night time performance even with the dual lens and dual CCDs. Might have made a much better cam if the costs for the dual was put into 1 good CCD and lens.

Just looked at that cam, pretty crap spec with very poor night time performance even with the dual lens and dual CCDs. Might have made a much better cam if the costs for the dual was put into 1 good CCD and lens.

The image is posted just for illustration purposes and is not the one I have in service. Indeed, the camera in the photo is woefully out of date. The performance of an old generation camera has nothing to do with this discussion other than the fact that is has two lenses built into it that are optimized for day or night. Not sure why you are even going there with the discussion.

Don't forget to manually default the cameras settings after updating, then press and hold the reset button for about 5 seconds. Always good to do this.

reset button?

I just go in the A119 V3 menu and reset to default camera settings. The camera reboots after that

I’m getting massive flickering at night using the 60fps at 1440p resolution setting. Haven’t had a chance to really troubleshoot it, but wanted to see is anyone had any suggestions...
E1E7E34E-8925-47BB-895D-FCD591E439F0.jpeg

I’m getting massive flickering at night using the 60fps at 1440p resolution setting. Haven’t had a chance to really troubleshoot it, but wanted to see is anyone had any suggestions...

Check the frequency setting in the menu. It should be set to 60Hz for the USA. This "may" cure your issue if the flickering is emanating from artificial lighting.

More or less what high-end cell phones are doing with [two|three|four|five|...whatever] cameras side by side...

Yes that's quite true. We discussed that to some extent in the older Viofo HDR thread I linked to in my earlier post. The difference is that high end smartphones cost many hundreds of dollars and have a lot more processing power and memory than dash cams so the challenge is to make HDR work adequately in a dash cam.

Check the frequency setting in the menu. It should be set to 60Hz for the USA. This "may" cure your issue if the flickering is emanating from artificial lighting.

I did double check to make sure the frequency setting was on 60Hz, which it was.

I had to wait until the sun went down to check the video and unfortunately, the issue still remains.

I may be seeing things, but there seems to be a slight fisheye effort going on in the videos?

I really think lighting and other things are big factors.
I got this plate yesterday, but there were many I didn't get.
1440, 30fps, HDR off, cpl on.
Edit: What I thought interesting was that at above settings, bitrate was about 30kbps, while at 60fps it was around 26kbps, hence the smaller file size.
test.jpg

Last edited:
I did double check to make sure the frequency setting was on 60Hz, which it was.

I had to wait until the sun went down to check the video and unfortunately, the issue still remains.

I may be seeing things, but there seems to be a slight fisheye effort going on in the videos?

Troubleshooting a dash cam problem is a process of methodically eliminating the possibilities. I suggested that the frequency setting "may" be the problem since that setting can cause flickering from incandescent lighting if not set to the proper frequency of the electricity supply in one's country which in the US is 60Hz.

Now you say that you have a fisheye effect which is an entirely different issue and one that may simply be that you are seeing the normal curvature of field distortion typical of wide angle lenses. The V3 lens isn't all that wide however so this too seems puzzling but a small amount of fisheye effect (known as barrel distortion) is normal.

Perhaps if you can post a video so that we can see the problems you are experiencing we can offer some better assistance.

What's also interesting is that in the file name, the unit saves the gps coordinates, along with date/time, and I think time within the original clip.
Edit: That was a stupid comment. It's DashcamViewer that does the saving.

Back