SG9663DR Installations

With my side cameras i went down the "pillar" between the opening glass and the fixed glass on my rear doors, and from there strait across to the rubber wire thing between the door and B pillar ( i had to take the rubber off to be able to feed the USB C plug thru )

I have never used the stuff, and even if i am not going to use it right here and now i was very happy to find some of it in the box with the DR.

It seems that VHB tape is not good for things that may move around.
I too have had issues with the "VHB & magnet" sandwich coming loose from textured plastic - in my case it's the plastic boot trim. No big surprise really - I've had other cameras come loose before on the same type of plastic. That's the main reason I wanted to mount my DR rear camera on the glass rather than use a more discreet position on the rear window trim.

The dual lock tape is more suitable for this situation
I'll try the dual lock tape to see if that works better for mounting the recording unit. That's what I use to mount my rear-facing Mobius camera on the same plastic.
IMG_20200629_175445.jpg

The dual lock tape is more suitable for this situation
So the adhesive on the dual-lock tape different from VHB? What are the use cases for each adhesive? Perhaps the VHB on foam is intentionally chosen so it can be removed?

With my side cameras i went down the "pillar" between the opening glass and the fixed glass on my rear doors, and from there strait across to the rubber wire thing between the door and B pillar ( i had to take the rubber off to be able to feed the USB C plug thru )

That is a good idea to attach the SG9663DR's to the slim pillar between the rear window rectangular pane and the rear vent triangular pane.
In my case, the vehicle's built-in side sunshades obstructed that slim pillar.
On another one of my cars, it has a different type of rear window sunshade, and I will have to try and attach the SG9663DR's to the horizontal window sill which is a little troublesome because it has a slightly curved surface.
I'm thinking about using thick double sided mirror tape, because the thick foam may be able to adapt to the slightly curved surface of the window sill.

20200721_081633 2.jpg

20200721_081559 2.jpg

Last edited:
Nice maybe you should try placing the camera to the left side of that, rotating the camera 180 degrees, so the long part of the mount is pointing down and partially hidden away into the edge of the trim. The cable would be closer to an entry point of the panel too.
(green arrow)
1595284266566.png

Nice maybe you should try placing the camera to the left side of that, rotating the camera 180 degrees, so the long part of the mount is pointing down and partially hidden away into the edge of the trim. The cable would be closer to an entry point of the panel too.

I find that when I flip the SG9663DR's 180 degrees, the L-shaped cable point upwards on the left vent pane, and I end up having to bend the cable with a sharp U-turn downwards.
Rather than the old mini-USB, if the SG9663DR's could use the new USB-C type sockets/plugs, then we could flip the SG9663DR's 180 degrees, with the L-shaped plug wire still pointing downwards?

In truth, the left and right rear vent pane side dashcams don't need to be absolutely symmetrical; it is actually fine for them to be asymmetrical.
So, regarding your idea of flipping the DR 180 degrees, the L-shaped cable would go "up" the back edge of the rear left vent pane to the top of the rear left window, and then make its way forwards to the central B pillar.
However, this technique has a lot more loose cable slack from the top leading edge of the rear left window to the B pillar when the rear left door is closed.

20200721_081633 3.jpg

Have you any personal experience with this that you can share here regards it's holding power and repeatability in use? It does sound interesting and I can see just where I'd put some to use but only if it holds as well as dual-lock in high heats.

Phil

Nano Magic Gel Tape worked really well to secure an insect light on top of the horizontal surface of our metal surface bar fridge.

However Nano Magic Gel Tape is a fail on the vertical surface of the side window vent panes.
We are presently in the peak of winter, yet the Nano Magic Gel Tape "creeps", as the DR slides down the pane of glass.
If we were in the middle of summer, I think it would be even worse.

Luckily I'm only deliberately temporarily mounting the DR before I finalise the position, and fasten it with the OEM supplied 3M adhesive tape.

20200728_113856 2.jpg

3.1.jpg

I put my Rear camera on the magnet yesterday, but using the old tape, so it is probably dangling on the wire today, but a new sticky pad are already in my pocket.
Just a fit of creativity after washing my car yesterday, but it did allow me to turn the lens more upwards for a 50/50 split

I received my SG9663DR yesterday (thanks to @niko and his outstanding customer service!), and spent quite some time installing the cameras and accessories. My previous setup consisted of two Mobius cameras, which allowed for a very stealth install thanks to their shape and size, so I was curious to see if I could achieve the same with the SG9663DR.

I'm quite happy that I managed to run all cables to the passenger glove box and install the main unit there. Though, to operate the main unit without risking my back, I'll have to move to the passenger seat. I don't think this will be a big issue, as I imagine I rarely need to touch the main unit itself.

IMG_1300.jpg
IMG_1302.jpg

The button is placed on my side of the center console, but I'll have to move it as I keep touching it with my knee. I placed the GPS antenna on the passenger's side, close to the A pillar.

IMG_1322.jpg

So, the cameras. The Mobius was small enough to be mounted above the mirror, but this was not possible with the SG9663DR front camera. I initially tried to mount the camera above the rain sensor on the passenger's side, but the rain sensor was clearly visible so I moved it to the driver's side. I had to turn the camera upside down and place the mount as close to the center as possible, to make the camera fit in front of the mirror. This had the downside of the cable being turned as well, so I had to run it below the center thingy and to the passenger's side, then down the A pillar and to the glove box.

IMG_1311.jpg
IMG_1315.jpg
IMG_1317.jpg
IMG_1321.jpg

The rear camera seemed a bit out of focus (I might make a separate thread for this), so I took it down earlier today and plan to switch it with the front camera to see if it's the tint on my rear window or the camera itself.

All in all I'm happy with my purchase (thanks again, @niko!), though I'd love an adapter of some kind to be able to run the cable upwards instead of downwards with the camera mounted upside down. This would allow for an even more stealthier installation.

Last edited:
The pair of magnets stick to each other. They both have VHB tape applied. Stick one magnet to the back of the main unit, then stick the other magnet wherever you want to mount it.

@jokiin Can you give a part number for these magnet(s)? I'd like to get some.

you can buy neodymium magnets in all kind of shapes and sizes on the internet, the ones that come with the DR are 30 X 19 X 3 mm in size.

Using round magnets should also not be a problem, if you get one around 1" in diameter.
The main thing to look out for are polarity, you want it so they stick together like stacked coins ( having the magnetic poles on either side ) VS each half of the shape being one or the other polarity so they stick together at the end.
Many also come with dual sided tape ready to go i see in Amazon

With these super strong magnets it is important to not let then "zip" together at the speed they like ( instant ) CUZ that might make them shatter, ideally you want to slide them on and off each other, the strong ones you cant pull apart just like that, either CUZ they are large and very strong, or you simply can not get a hold of them good enough to do that.

I find that i have to buy magnets every now and then, really once you got some and find out what they can be used for ( i for one also use them to hold 2 things together while glue dry, if not a too thick thing they do that just as good as any clamps you might have )
Well then it get hard to be without them.

Zip ties ( assortment )
Duct tape.
Neodymium magnets

Those are 3 nice things for a man to have around the house.

The magnets you of course have to be very careful with around little kids, the small ones are easy to get down, and they can create all kind of havoc if they can latch on to something from the inside.
I for the most get a mixed package now and then, so either a square mix pack or round ( smaller ones under 1/2 inch for the "big" ones )

There is a hobby called magnet fishing, they do that with these magnets,,,,,,, bigger ones with a pulling force of 2 - 300 KG, so you do not want to latch on to a old car wreck in the river / lake, CUZ they you really have to put your back in it to make the magnet let go of whatever.

Last edited:
you can buy neodymium magnets in all kind of shapes and sizes on the internet, the ones that come with the DR are 30 X 19 X 3 mm in size.

With these super strong magnets it is important to not let then "zip" together at the speed they like ( instant ) CUZ that might make them shatter, ideally you want to slide them on and off each other, the strong ones you cant pull apart just like that, either CUZ they are large and very strong, or you simply can not get a hold of them good enough to do that.

Thanks, saw a lot of 3mm on Amazon, was looking for 1mm thickness, I guess 3mm is more common. And now that you mention the magnets attracting too quickly, I'm concerned I could inadvertently shatter the windshield when attaching the dashcam. Maybe a 0.5-1.0mm rubber thing in between to cushion it?

Yes they are very fragile, so they do not come in very thin versions.

Yes attaching one of these magnets to the windshield and another one to the camera mount, that could go very ugly fast, i am more inclined to say put a piece of sheet metal on the windscreen and just a magnet on the camera mount.
For sure you will want to test the "clicking together power" of your setup are not too furious before you put anything on the windscreen,

I have used a magnet for many years to hold a rear camera, and it / they have never moved a bit just gripping onto the metal of my rear hatch.
I assume it could do just as well with a heavier front camera on a sloped windscreen.

Thanks, saw a lot of 3mm on Amazon, was looking for 1mm thickness, I guess 3mm is more common. And now that you mention the magnets attracting too quickly, I'm concerned I could inadvertently shatter the windshield when attaching the dashcam. Maybe a 0.5-1.0mm rubber thing in between to cushion it?

If you go to Banggood you will find just about any size and shape of neodymium magnet you want.

Last edited:
Back