My Car was Broken Into.......Viofo +1 - If only myGeckoGear had hardwire kit

HonestReview

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Some A-Hole Teenagers were going around neighborhood and broke into a bunch of cars. They broke into my other vehicle, not my Volvo which is always kept garaged. Other car sits outside.

First and foremost, even though the image isn't the greatest due to high motion and low bitrate, the Viofo A129 Duo was able to capture the face of one individual. Albeit grainy. Photoshopped helped clean it up some with color adjustments. (Front + Rear with Hardwire and Parking Mode).

Sad thing is, the car they broke into also has he myGeckoGear orbit 950 but not a hardwire kit. That camera does a better job of night capture due to a brighter image. However, without hardwire kit, this camera didn't help in this given instance. (Front + Rear). No Hardwire Kit. No Parking Mode. No Luck.

Long story short, police at least have something to go on. My evidence so far is the only images of the two teenagers who went on a crime spree a few nights ago. Hope they catch them!

You'll have to take my word on it, as I don't post personal images online. Ironic part is they were too stupid to notice 2 cameras in the car. But anyway figured I would share my story.

At least you stand a chance of some form of restitution

Stealing hub caps was popular when i was a kid, one of my friends got nicked, got a good slapping and spent the night locked into the guys garage, and another ass kicking when his father picked him up the next day.
Sadly something completely natural to me, today it would just flip the woke Danish society upside down and there will be a cry of outrage.
BUT ! the kid ( a classmate of mine ) he never stole a hub cap again, and to be honest he did not steal much more, but apparently vandalizing friends property was not completely lost to him cuz a few years later he and others put eggs and sugar in the tank of my moped.

I wonder if he made the connection when years later his car burned to the ground. ;)

I do miss the CCTV camera on my car, but i haven't gotten around to replacing it yet, so really i cant miss it all that much after all.

At least you stand a chance of some form of restitution

Stealing hub caps was popular when i was a kid, one of my friends got nicked, got a good slapping and spent the night locked into the guys garage, and another ass kicking when his father picked him up the next day.
Sadly something completely natural to me, today it would just flip the woke Danish society upside down and there will be a cry of outrage.
BUT ! the kid ( a classmate of mine ) he never stole a hub cap again, and to be honest he did not steal much more, but apparently vandalizing friends property was not completely lost to him cuz a few years later he and others put eggs and sugar in the tank of my moped.

I wonder if he made the connection when years later his car burned to the ground. ;)

I do miss the CCTV camera on my car, but i haven't gotten around to replacing it yet, so really i cant miss it all that much after all.

I hope they catch them. Happened late at night. No Zenfox T3 in that vehicle, no that camera is worth a damn. One in my car is on the fritz. Dare enable wifi and the whole unit freezes and stops recording. Think bad spot on board. No luck swapping wifi antenna from other camera into that unit.

Anyway, Dash camera comes in handy. My cameras have saved my ass in 2 accidents (made life easy), caught debris hitting my car once, and then these teenagers breaking into one of my vehicles.

I have only been in 2 accidents in my whole driving career, and with 30 years in between them i dont think i will get a chance to record another one, CUZ 3 - 4 years ago when it last happened my rear camera did not record it.
But entirely my own fault i had been driving around for months knowing the camera did not get the juice it should thanks to the long and too cheap USB wire i used to power it from the front of the car.

Also not needed in both rear endings in my life the other part took blame alright, just too bad the first one the cops did not want to come, or stop when they drove buy, the guy was so drunk he could barely stand up.
And this was back in the 80ties where Danish police worked a lot better than today.

I have only been in 2 accidents in my whole driving career, and with 30 years in between them i dont think i will get a chance to record another one, CUZ 3 - 4 years ago when it last happened my rear camera did not record it.
But entirely my own fault i had been driving around for months knowing the camera did not get the juice it should thanks to the long and too cheap USB wire i used to power it from the front of the car.

Also not needed in both rear endings in my life the other part took blame alright, just too bad the first one the cops did not want to come, or stop when they drove buy, the guy was so drunk he could barely stand up.
And this was back in the 80ties where Danish police worked a lot better than today.

There's little argument to be had when the event is caught on camera. No He Said She Said. No lying about what took place. Video proof says it all. A Dash Camera has paid itself off 15-20 fold already.

I've done a lot of stupid sh*t in my life, made a lot of bad decisions, but I can truly say adding a Dash Camera was one of my better moves.

It is one of the main reasons i got into cameras in the first place, cuz here you see cyclists are like sacred animals, and touch one with your car and you have to retake your drivers exam.
And i am not doing that without a challenge if some D-bag drive out in front of me.

I will take what i deserve any day of the week, but taking the fall for other people are not going to happen.

For most of the time I've had a dashcam I've also had it running 24/7 for use as a security cam. Though that usage far exceeds what they were designed for (and it also voids the warranty because of that) I've found that most good super-cap equipped cams can handle this 'abuse' quite well ;) and the car battery is the main limiting factor, not the cam.

Given how cheap and easy WYZE and Nest cams are there's hardly any reason to not have one or several guarding your property at home. Or IP cams. It's a much better method than using a dashcam, but any cam is better than none so if all you have is a dashcam then use it until you can do something better.

Phil

It is one of the main reasons i got into cameras in the first place, cuz here you see cyclists are like sacred animals, and touch one with your car and you have to retake your drivers exam.
And i am not doing that without a challenge if some D-bag drive out in front of me.

I will take what i deserve any day of the week, but taking the fall for other people are not going to happen.

You can fix a lot of things in life, but there's no cure for stupid people. A bicyclist riding in front of a car is begging to get run over. And he Dash Cam will be the proof that gets you off!

For most of the time I've had a dashcam I've also had it running 24/7 for use as a security cam. Though that usage far exceeds what they were designed for (and it also voids the warranty because of that) I've found that most good super-cap equipped cams can handle this 'abuse' quite well ;) and the car battery is the main limiting factor, not the cam.

Given how cheap and easy WYZE and Nest cams are there's hardly any reason to not have one or several guarding your property at home. Or IP cams. It's a much better method than using a dashcam, but any cam is better than none so if all you have is a dashcam then use it until you can do something better.

Phil

It's the law of probabilities. I've never had a problem until a few days ago, and the minute I invest in a Security System, there will never be another! And yes, considering having cameras put up. Not sure though how much you'd see at night and from a 20 or 30 ft distance (7-10 meters)? That's about how far they were from where I live. So would a nest or wyze capture a face?

I use ArloQ cameras for the opposite way round, peace of mind.

They send you a push notification and email if any of the beams are broken so if you have no notifications you know all is well.

I use ArloQ cameras for the opposite way round, peace of mind.

They send you a push notification and email if any of the beams are broken so if you have no notifications you know all is well.

How's build quality on these cameras? Can they sell well in night and day? Can you access the footage remotely? Are these cameras networked or how does storage work? I.E. Does it save locally or to the cloud? Are these subscription based?

How does storage work on the Wyze or Arlos?

1. Local Storage?
2. Cloud Storage?
3. Free or Subscription Based?

Are both network connected where footage can be viewed remotely if connected to your wifi network?

I think both the Arlos and Wyze cameras have room for a micro SD card, and also have some form of cloud stuff if you want to use that.
I am unsure if you remotely can access the cameras in your system and the memory cards in them, without the cloud part.

But i am sure you can get much wiser on this from youtube reviews.

I have the Chinese version (Xiaofang). It records to a micro SD. They have limited cloud storage for motion detection events. Never used it or tried it.

Footage can be viewed via the app.

It's not waterproof.

I have the Chinese version (Xiaofang). It records to a micro SD. They have limited cloud storage for motion detection events. Never used it or tried it.

It's not waterproof.

There are now some reasonably priced weather resistant and waterproof cases/mounts available for the Wyze cams.

wyzeweather.jpg

wyze_weather.jpg

There's also a new outdoor WyzeCam. Much more expensive than the original though, but still reasonable.

outdoor.jpg

It's not waterproof.

Chinese version of what product? Wyze or Arlos?

Back