SG9663DR Installations

I'd mount metal to the windshield with 3M tape which will cushion any impact from the cam 'slamming' in place. If you discover the magnets are too strong put a thick plastic sticker cut to shape on one side, even a slight space will greatly reduce the magnetic force, and there's less 'goo' with a sticker than you get from most tape so it should last longer without movement.

If you've never worked with these magnets before be sure to include some "play time" when they arrive because you're going to want to see what these amazing little things can do :LOL:

Phil

Yes attaching one of these magnets to the windshield and another one to the camera mount, that could go very ugly fast, i am more inclined to say put a piece of sheet metal on the windscreen and just a magnet on the camera mount.

I'd mount metal to the windshield with 3M tape which will cushion any impact from the cam 'slamming' in place. If you discover the magnets are too strong put a thick plastic sticker cut to shape on one side, even a slight space will greatly reduce the magnetic force, and there's less 'goo' with a sticker than you get from most tape so it should last longer without movement.

Thanks, I found metal/magnetic plates on Amazon that they use for attaching phones to magnetic mounts for a few dollars. Put some of the 3M sticker to mount that on the windshield. It looks like the 3M VHB has decent thickness, maybe it is an adequate cushion to protect the windshield already, like SawMaster said. And eBay has some 20x10x2mm magnets for just a few dollars more than Banggood, which will take a month to ship.

Another thing to be aware of with neodymium magnets is that they can be quite brittle. If you let them slam together with too much force or drop them they can break or even sometimes shatter. It's not a bad idea to purchase a few spares. One of the reasons I like buying from Banggood is that they are often offered in small quantities at decent prices.

Another thing to be aware of with neodymium magnets is that they can be quite brittle. If you let them slam together with too much force or drop them they can break or even sometimes shatter. It's not a bad idea to purchase a few spares. One of the reasons I like buying from Banggood is that they are often offered in small quantities at decent prices.

I did look on Banggood, $3 bucks for 5 pieces, 30 day delivery. On eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/324046037347) 10 pieces for $6 and 1-2 days delivery :) I do get how useful Banggood is, I order some stuff of Aliexpress, too.

I was thinking of using 2-4 of these smaller magnets rather than one large piece to reduce the total amount of magnetism.

I usually receive items I order from Banggood in about 16 days here in the Northeast USA. Price depends on what magnets you order. For some reason, when I tried (repeatedly) to post the link to Banggood the "Share a Sale" affiliate URL here on DCT gets changed from the actual URL I tried to post to a search URL. The link I tried to post on Banggood was 9 pages of neodymium magnets to browse through but I have a feeling that's not where you landed. I was trying to show their vast selection.

Anyway, the eBay link looks good. Whatever works best for you is the place to purchase. :)

Last edited:
I did look on Banggood, $3 bucks for 5 pieces, 30 day delivery. On eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/324046037347) 10 pieces for $6 and 1-2 days delivery :) I do get how useful Banggood is, I order some stuff of Aliexpress, too.

I was thinking of using 2-4 of these smaller magnets rather than one large piece to reduce the total amount of magnetism.

BTW, as far as price is concerned with Chinese magnets, some are better than others. The brittleness issue can be part of that. It's a bit of a crap shoot since you don't know what you are getting until they arrive.

USPS is totally messed up right now. It’s recently been taking over 2 weeks for some of our non-Amazon priority mail shipped orders to reach its destination. (We switched to UPS where possible even though it’s twice the price.

It’s going to stay this way until November 5th I’m guessing.

I’ve had many friends tell me Over seas orders have been taking nearly 2 months to arrive.

BTW, as far as price is concerned with Chinese magnets, some are better than others. The brittleness issue can be part of that. It's a bit of a crap shoot since you don't know what you are getting until they arrive.

I think I'm going to see if I can put a magnetic plate on top of the magnets, glue those together, and see if it still has enough force to attach to another magnetic plate reasonably well. That should minimize much of the shattering risk. Or put some tape over the magnets before mounting it to the magnetic plate. Might need 3mm magnets or thicker :unsure:

I think I'm going to see if I can put a magnetic plate on top of the magnets, glue those together, and see if it still has enough force to attach to another magnetic plate reasonably well. That should minimize much of the shattering risk. Or put some tape over the magnets before mounting it to the magnetic plate. Might need 3mm magnets or thicker :unsure:

If you are simply careful with the magnets there really shouldn't be too much of a problem. I wanted to bring the issue to your attention but there's no reason to be too paranoid about it. Just use a bit of caution.

USPS is totally messed up right now. It’s recently been taking over 2 weeks for some of our non-Amazon priority mail shipped orders to reach its destination. (We switched to UPS where possible even though it’s twice the price.

I’ve had many friends tell me Over seas orders have been taking nearly 2 months to arrive.

Postmaster General Louis DeJoy, a major multi-million dollar donor to President Donald Trump is a political appointee who has tens of millions of dollars of investments in companies that compete with the Post Office. At Trump's order he is sabotaging the Post Office to interfere with mail in voting in the upcoming election. He has fired or transferred all the long time executives who have the required expertise to run the everyday operations and has otherwise hobbled the functioning of the agency.
This is basically a criminal act, the likes of which are otherwise only seen in authoritarian kelptocratic regimes.

I can confirm! I was super happy that my order was shipped via Priority Mail as usually it gets here pretty quick so I thought I would be able to install it this weekend to replace the G1W I am using temporarily as my BlackVue died but looks like the shipment got suck at the OPA LOCKA sorting facility so looks like I won't get it for another few days which sucks since it will be another week before I can install it since I have work. Regardless I am looking forward to this dash cam..

Last edited:
no surprise sadly, pretty out of control right now

It's never been different, only better hidden in the past, but truth always comes out in the end and sometimes sooner for those who seek it.

@iDerek Glad you've got something for now- even an old G1W offers you good protection against false claims which is a major reason to have a dashcam. And I'm sure you'll be pleased with the new cam when it arrives- Street Guardian works hard to be sure of that :)

Phil

Is it possible to order a replacement remote cam?

When I first installed the DR, I mounted it on display in the boot/trunk for easy access during testing. However neither the self-adhesive magnet or velcro strips lasted more than a few months on the textured plastic trim.

y4mQAwy--ig7boq1VDPsJ6a7CnPsw7srEId8fcvJPGEtILA4W5tbJMq-TotFXOxZpCnT3_nDvVe4al5ATQ8bT5tGJV6hIQHNfeP01Rv9tTL8hQeLb_Jl1XcTvBun6txzky2ZFasg2MvaGOGQwLLxW46ZFAWZ9f_-U-1ElTWysY62zhlDjyaPugcAi0eT5nSbJv3

Looking for a new location to store the recording unit, I remembered that there's a load of space under the boot floor. Needs a bit of tidying up, but I'll do that after change the camera setup to be side-facing rather than front-rear-facing. I may be able to run the cables behind the fabric liner too.

y4mO-I1YwZm7GDfBSsc64e4zVIrfmjuCOFjoiMMoi0LZ6IBagsh6-3-TeuAjL6DkTTeyVm1RtYJPe4GPnFMRk2iAUgsFTXI4HNXyx5a0SODpgqqoQKNw4OUj6s6Akp4Qj-3Ndb8RdgKLT8ccpJiiGzegH-k-yh772LLszQZaSYEpQVpDaX4a_4umWhiLDCr560G

y4mH7IuLw3zvuOAyWtJGB6DO8YRRdh-fbNfc_ksuSJfEDNwIwQsT_ILuue3b2hmybOb7sPe3oqmbT2B8zWTeGhS5kswEeoBt-AhSp0VwM_wKzg8ZfhGxk3So_FAd11JX0F7qex_wJ1jnwvDzjTm8x34F89mqWstgulG0295h0El7n2_39_mMt-TrqOUjC1AOwny

I have the av output going to the tv-in of my center console. The image appears to have some noise. Would a ground-loop isolator help with this? I've used them for audio but never tried with video, especially since it's not common to see one that supports three-channel (stereo+video).

I have the av output going to the tv-in of my center console. The image appears to have some noise. Would a ground-loop isolator help with this? I've used them for audio but never tried with video, especially since it's not common to see one that supports three-channel (stereo+video).

You could try a ferrite choke first. They are inexpensive and very simple to install. On the other hand, if you already have a ground-loop isolator from an audio set up why not swap it here and see what happens?

Back