GitUp F1: any good for dash cam use?

Anyone use one of these 24/7 as a parking cam?
I bought a cheap Yi dashcam to use, so id have this F1 still as my main 4k cam, but then keep the Yi on all the time for parking mode.
Reason being, this one gets warm at 4k recording and i am worried 24/7 use will damage the camera very quickly. These are never in stock on Amazon anymore, £25 lost on the Yi is much better than £90 on the F1.

How much recording do you want to keep, only its going to use about 30GB an hour ....

Without a realistic low bitrate option (low bitrate, time lapse etc.) the F1 does not make sense for long duration recording when parked.

24/7 recording at normal parameters is hard on a cam, not recommended, voids warranty, etc...

BUT

I've done it with several cams and am doing it right now. I live in a hot climate and only a few time in the worst of heat have I had a cam lock up (they all resrtarted on pulling and reapplying power). I have seen some focus shift but it went back when the cam cooled. I have no F1 to try this with but it's a quality cam and it will probably work as long as you don't have battery problems. Try at your own risk!

Phil

The F1C with a capacitor is probably better suited to 24/7 recording, although the normal F1 has a pretty good design and never seems to get really hot, even recording 4K at maximum bitrate.

I suppose I could test one in my parked car to see if it has a thermal shut-down, or burns down the car :nailbiting:

The F1 can be dialled down to a lower bitrate to enable longer recording times (60/48/24 Mbs).

I ran a N2Pro constantly for several months with 2 months in summer. It might have weakened the battery some. I did have a Mobius battery swell up but I think that was a fluke- the replacement was still fine when I switched it to caps. AFAIK no place in the UK is as consistently hot as it is here so if I'm good with supercap cams doing 24/7 I'd think folks there would be as good or better.

Phil

So, I've decided to test the F1 in 'parking mode'. I'll leave it running all day at 4K 80Mbps in the car on my south-facing driveway, with a capacitor Mobius recording at 1080p30 for comparison.

I'll let you know if either one goes POP !!

Time / Ambient / Cabin / M1 / F1 (degrees C)
9am / 16 / 39 / 39 / 39
10am / 17 / 52 / 72 / 72
11am / 18 / 61 / 80 / 80
12pm / 20 / 61 / 82 / 82

Last edited:
Brilliant support lads thank you.
Yeah the F1 is never on Amazon anymore, so if it did break i don't think i could replace it.
That is why i got the cheap Yi one, as i expected 24/7 operation to break it.

My F1 gets really hot, even when not in use when in sunlight. I have the narrow vision one, does that have a battery then instead of a capacitor?
I have the 90 degrees version and it does say Rechargeable lithium-Ion battery; Battery Capacity:1010mAh ; USB Charging:DC 5V 1000mA.

The idea was that at work parking, numerous people including myself have had cars damaged by other people. So i wanted a parking mode to look at that. With the current virus, i think a full carpark might be a thing of the past. So more tempted to use the F1 as main cam when driving, then the Yi as a rear cam via powerbank i could charge at work.

So, I've decided to test the F1 in 'parking mode'. I'll leave it running all day at 4K 80Mbps in the car on my south-facing driveway, with a capacitor Mobius recording at 1080p30 for comparison.

9am / 16 / 39 / 39 / 39
10am / 17 / 52 / 72 / 72
11am / 18 / 61 / 80 / 80
12pm / 20 / 61 / 82 / 82
I'm sure people don't appreciate just how hot cameras get inside the car, and that's only at 20°C ambient temp, try here in summer when it's 47°C ambient, can literally cook meals inside cars in our summer

9am / 16 / 39 / 39 / 39
10am / 17 / 52 / 72 / 72
11am / 18 / 61 / 80 / 80
12pm / 20 / 61 / 82 / 82
Temperatures outside and inside stabilised after around 1pm. Both cameras recorded OK until the end of the day.

I'm sure people don't appreciate just how hot cameras get inside the car, and that's only at 20°C ambient temp, try here in summer when it's 47°C ambient, can literally cook meals inside cars in our summer
I'm glad we don't see temperatures like that over here. It's rare to see more than 30°C in northern England. Much more dashcam-friendly.

I was using my F1 as a bike camera yesterday. I must not have seated the camera properly in the cradle, because it fell out when I rode over a bump in the road! When it hit the road the battery cover came off and the battery fell out. However the F1 saved the current file to just a second or so before falling - quite impressive without a battery in place.

The camera continues to work perfectly - just a couple of scratches on the lens protector:
1591006206170.png

Meet SERENITY, my new bike, recorded by Gitup F1. Play audio on your stereo (if you like the thunder of Ducati)

Play audio on your stereo (if you like the thunder of Ducati)
Excellent, that really made the furniture vibrate!

Was the audio from the F1? I much prefer the Git2 audio.

Good to see a decent and highly visible colour instead of all black, now just need the same for the rider!

Excellent, that really made the furniture vibrate!

Was the audio from the F1? I much prefer the Git2 audio.

Good to see a decent and highly visible colour instead of all black, now just need the same for the rider!

Yes audio from F1. Sound of thunder, right....?

I like red & white, strawberries & whipped cream....

Thanks, I also got a new leather Black & white, looks great, but sometimes I need to actually put something in my pockets, and the B&W is real TIGHT.... One day I took my wallet in the inner pocket, and coming home I got a big black/blue sour spot....

IMG_20191109_165356807.jpgSchermopname (3147).pngSchermopname (3148).png

I'll never buy a full suit..... and I like genuine Ducati jackets, but they're expensive....

Last edited:
Sporty Italian machinery always looks best in red- it's both traditional and a hot color :cool: Full leathers are a godsend should you come off at speed, but they're a PITA to deal with otherwise, so I too chose to just wear a jacket and boots. And in that I always preferred black as I never felt that even wearing an illuminated neon suit would make much difference, because those looking for you will see you, and the rest never will :( But to each their own and as you please- that's a good booking jacket regardless (y)

Phil

Question is if some woke people in today's world think it is okay for white,,,,,, sorry as a Dane it seem i cant use that word soon,,,, Caucasian people can wear black. :):censored:
They are actually planning to make it "illegal" to say white about Danes, they suggest they are called kauk instead which is derived for Caucasian in Danish, so soon i will be a kauk Dane :rolleyes::sleep:

I swear some times i feel like i have woken up in a insane parallel universe.

Question is if some woke people in today's world think it is okay for white,,,,,, sorry as a Dane it seem i cant use that word soon,,,, Caucasian people can wear black. :):censored:
They are actually planning to make it "illegal" to say white about Danes, they suggest they are called kauk instead which is derived for Caucasian in Danish, so soon i will be a kauk Dane :rolleyes::sleep:

I swear some times i feel like i have woken up in a insane parallel universe.

I'm not sure exactly about race issues with the Power Rangers but they come in six different colors! :)

power_rangers.jpeg

Nice with a collection to choose from, i am not quite sure which one i identify as. :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Michelin Man F1 1
Z F1 13
TonyM F1 17
TonyM F1 113
D F1 17
Back