MiVue 792 "light circles"

Uberpleb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So my old MiVue 792 camera's speakers unfortunately gave up and it rendered the speed camera aspect useless so I got a replacement and this one has a weird "smoke ring" effect every time I go past street lights at night. I have moved it to different positions on the windscreen and it doesn't make a difference. It just has this weird pulsating circle that warps through the entire image every time I go past a light. It's hard to really describe what I mean. The best way to explain is if you see someone blow smoke rings - it's very like that only with the light going through the image and only at night because of the street lights.

It obviously does not do it during the day (at least that I can see on the footage) so is there a solution to this? I really don't want to have to try and return it if possible. My original 792 didn't do this so I am confused.

Did you remove the plastic protection off the lens?

picture tells a thousand words, share a video that shows the problem is easier than trying to describe it
Not my video but it is the same problem even though it is a Garmin camera. It's that expanding circle effect after the street light. Not the glare itself around the lights, that weird bubble that comes out of it.

Looks to me like dirty windshield (windscreen) or a dirty lens - or both (at least a partial cause). A good cleaning of both would be my first step.

Looks to me like dirty windshield (windscreen) or a dirty lens - or both. A good cleaning of both would be my first step.
Both have been scrubbed before installation. The camera (for me) was new. I have tried my old 792 camera on the same mount and it does not do it.

I've seen the 'expanding circle' effect a number of times with dash cams and in still photography. It can be caused by the way light reflects/refracts off the various glass surfaces between the light source and the sensor. Not much can be done about that since it's a matter of light physics. The 'cloudy halo' effect on the other hand the only cause for that I've ever seen besides dirt or a nearly transparent film on the glass was caused by the lamination between the layers of glass in the windshield. If that were the case it should be there with all cameras.

You say the camera was new for you which suggests it is not 'new'. Do you know the history?

I've seen the 'expanding circle' effect a number of times with dash cams and in still photography. It can be caused by the way light reflects/refracts off the various glass surfaces between the light source and the sensor. Not much can be done about that since it's a matter of light physics. The 'cloudy halo' effect on the other hand the only cause for that I've ever seen besides dirt or a nearly transparent film on the glass was caused by the lamination between the layers of glass in the windshield. If that were the case it should be there with all cameras.

You say the camera was new for you which suggests it is not 'new'. Do you know the history?
It was bought from Amazon, direct from Amazon.

That video I linked is not my video or even a MiVue, it was a random YouTube video I found (of a Garmin camera) that just had the same effect I was querying about. The video quality on this new camera I have is great, I have no problem with it except this "expanding circle". My first MiVue 792 didn't do this and was placed on the same mount in the same place so it's baffling me.

may have a different lens to your previous one
Ah, so different parts can be used for the same model number? I guess that could be it. A bit miffed as I now have one with no audio at all and one with video that's not ideal.

Ah, so different parts can be used for the same model number

Yes little improvements in hardware are not uncommon, prime among those is the lens.

happens often
Hmm, is there anything I can do to avoid this then? The mount I use is one of Mio's own super sticky pads rather than the suction cup so I can't really move it to see if a different position helps. I fear I am stuck with these weird rings now.

If it impede what go on down on street level i would see it as a problem, but street lights at night with a halo on ASO, dont bother me one bit.

Hmm, is there anything I can do to avoid this then? The mount I use is one of Mio's own super sticky pads rather than the suction cup so I can't really move it to see if a different position helps. I fear I am stuck with these weird rings now.
There's always the possibility that the one you have just has a bad lens, that happens also

Have you tried altering the exposure settings? Sometimes that helps.

Phil

Back