Dash cam with zoom capability

Tony2004

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for a high resolution camera/dashcam/sport camera etc with zoom ability (4x min, preferable 6-10x) and video (not necessarily audio) output connection please, to be connected to a car monitor/DVD, etc
I would like the camera to work as any other dashcam, not necessarily to record, but to be installed in a car, to automatically start once I start the engine, to live monitor long distance traffic, and also to turn off automatically once I've stopped the engine.
Any advice will be kindly appreciated?

Thank you,
Tony

For what you are interested in a standard varifocal zoom CCTV camera connected to a small NVR (network video recorder) and a small monitor would certainly do the job. There are dozens of zoom CCTV camera models to choose from.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...hUKEwj369rigerrAhVpkuAKHck0BZQQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

On the other hand, for an actual "dash cam", some of us here on DCT have modified cameras by installing aftermarket telephoto and zoom lenses, especially the Mobius action camera. These can be used with a separate AV monitor while recording to a memory card.

Mobius 5MP Varifocal Zoom 6-22mm ƒ/1.6

Mobius Varifocal Zoom IR

Lukas did a dashcam with zoom, it was rubbish though, not sure they still make it, only one I've seen

There's a thread here with some custom lenses used with a Mobius camera, maybe not what you're after but might give you an idea, @Dashmellow has used these with great results, he might be able to offer some insights when it comes to lenses to suit that you might be able to apply to a suitable model to fit the rest of what you need

Lukas did a dashcam with zoom, it was rubbish though, not sure they still make it, only one I've seen

There's a thread here with some custom lenses used with a Mobius camera, maybe not what you're after but might give you an idea, @Dashmellow has used these with great results, he might be able to offer some insights when it comes to lenses to suit that you might be able to apply to a suitable model to fit the rest of what you need

Looks like we posted at the exact same moment. :)

@Tony2004 - While not necessarily "zoom" lenses, also see: Mobius Telephoto Dashcam.
You'll find footage, photos and discussion that may be of interest to you.

This set up is meant to help me for when I drive a right hand drive car in Europe and, the main discomfort found it so fast, was the restricted visibly ahead for when I need to overtake another car, especially trucks.

I've tried with GoPro as a dashcam, with wirelessly transmission to my phone, and didn't work. Delaying, flickering images and miscommunication at the end. And no zoom anyway.
I've tried the new Nextbase dashcam, the same with wirelessly transmission to my phone, but same issues. Nextbase had no zoom and no video output connection, so I abandoned the idea.
Most successful test so far, was to connect two mobile phones trough some apps and worked a bit, but miscommunications issues all the time. But what I found out was how helpful it a zoom option.

My new goal now it is to "bring" the traffic from about 100+ metres on my car player screen or to a separate mini monitor (a 7 inches one I would say) permanently or to activate when required.
I don't need a wide angle, but I need a clear image on my screen.

The challenge for me it is to find a way for any device I'll use, to be connected with the power (to work permanently) and to wire transmit to my monitor.

I don't mind to do a bit of DIY work to customise a dashcam or a sport camera, but I need to know which one and what to do.

Sounds like you need something capable of real-time FPV, which I think the Mobius can do with a wired output :) The F1 has also been tried as telephoto, but it's rather hard to find now :( Most cams can probably be converted to telephoto to a varying degree of success, but AFAIK nobody has tried anything but these two, so you'd be experimenting till you find the right lens and settings. Many action cams do FPV but a lot of them will overheat in dashcam-type use so that needs to be kept in mind when choosing. I know that some of the large RV's use a cam for a constant view to the rear; something like that should be adaptable to this purpose ;)

Standard 'back up' or 'reversing' cams would not be built for continuous use, but could provide a cheap platform to experiment with regarding placement and aim. You could also feed something like that through a switch, and power it only as needed so it doesn't overheat. Again a lens swap and experimenting with that would be necessary.

Phil

Sounds like you need something capable of real-time FPV, which I think the Mobius can do with a wired output :) The F1 has also been tried as telephoto, but it's rather hard to find now :( Most cams can probably be converted to telephoto to a varying degree of success, but AFAIK nobody has tried anything but these two, so you'd be experimenting till you find the right lens and settings. Many action cams do FPV but a lot of them will overheat in dashcam-type use so that needs to be kept in mind when choosing. I know that some of the large RV's use a cam for a constant view to the rear; something like that should be adaptable to this purpose ;)

Standard 'back up' or 'reversing' cams would not be built for continuous use, but could provide a cheap platform to experiment with regarding placement and aim. You could also feed something like that through a switch, and power it only as needed so it doesn't overheat. Again a lens swap and experimenting with that would be necessary.

Phil

Hi Phil,
Thank you for your reply. I'm fully aware that a ''plug and play'' device is not an option unfortunately.
Does Mobius overheating with hours of continuously playing ? My GoPro does not overheating too bad. I was also looking in some option too add zoom lenses to my GoPro 5, but can't find some useful info so far. From GoPro6 onwards there's an integrated option to zoom, but only 2x from what I am aware.
I was looking in some CCTV small cameras, to avoid overheating, but they are not great with image stabilization.

Standard 'back up' or 'reversing' cameras are not an option as well. I've tried one from Aukey, and I couldn't flip the Left/Right mirror view. And I do't see hoe to add zoom lenses to this tiny camera at all.

Many Thanks,
Tony

Based on what you've told us I think I'd go back to a version of what I recommended earlier which is a small CCTV camera connected directly to a monitor. This can be done with or without any recording device involved.

There are many small board cameras available that accept M12 lens of the type used in dash cams, actions cams and CCTV cameras. You can buy one with a zoom lens similar or identical to the type I installed in my Mobius zoom project. You could mount such a camera fairly easily at the top of your windscreen and then connect it to a small inexpensive LCD monitor on your dashboard. Such monitors are available in a variety of sizes such as 4 inch, 5 inch, 7 inch, etc. These monitors are often used with after market back-up cameras in vehicles.

A set-up like this is analogue and not super high resolution like a GoPro or dash camera but would be more than adequate for the purpose you have in mind.

I don't think stabilization would be any more or less of a problem here than with any other set-up. Do keep in mind that any significant telephoto lens in a moving vehicle is subject to vibration. The key with stabilization using a telephoto lens in a vehicle is rock solid mounting of the camera.

zoom board camera.jpg

5-inch-TFT-LCD-rear-view-monitor.jpg

Last edited:
Mobius handles heat well; it's one of the best ever for that. For the purpose of an 'offside' view ahead for safer overtaking, a non-reversed image on your screen will do, but it does take some getting used to (I've used a dashcam like that in the rear). Viewer software often has the capability to 'mirror' the images on playback, but that's not available in real-time driving use. One thing about Mobius is that when being used to supply images to a monitor it does not record them to the card- you get one or the other but not both.

With enough time, effort, and cash anything is possible but it's always easier, cheaper, and faster to try to adapt whatever exists to the purpose even if that means some compromise on the end results. Something like what Dashmellow suggests might be best, or you can play with lenses on a reversing cam and get used to the screen view being backwards. These would be the easiest solutions I think.

Phil

Yeah, I was looking into that monitor, I know them... A 7" one will do the job very well I assume.
I don't know anything about the CCTV camera unfortunately.

Could send an example or a link, to know what I'm looking for please. Thank you

Yeah, I was looking into that monitor, I know them... A 7" one will do the job very well I assume.
I don't know anything about the CCTV camera unfortunately.

Could send an example or a link, to know what I'm looking for please. Thank you

I'm afraid I don't have time right now to search for links and post them. Need to get to work. I can try to check back in later in the day.

In the meantime try a search for "CCTV board cameras with housing" or some variation.

Here are a couple of links to a few products like I've described. Not surprisingly I found fewer of these available than I remember seeing previously because of the transition from analogue video to digital IP cameras but they are still out there.

I can't speak to the quality of these items or the vendors but in some cases the prices are low enough just to try one and see if it meets your needs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303602751972

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282917438172

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/327...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

My car has already 3 dashcams: a double Nextbase for front and inside monitoring with recording of course and another old Nextbase for the rear view.
So yes, I believe that a CCTV will do the job very well. I just need to find one with some image stabilization I think as will in a vehicle
I'll do my to fit it very well in there, but still.
Thank you so much for the links. Very useful.
I have just checked on YouTube for some comparisons and I'm not sure if 2-12mm will be enough for me.
I randomly found on Amazon UK something, like that, but bit pricey tbh.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200916-051412_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200916-051412_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20200916-051307_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200916-051307_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
My car has already 3 dashcams: a double Nextbase for front and inside monitor with recording of course and another old Nextbase for the rear view.
So yes, I believe that a CCTV will the job very well. I just need to find one with some image stabilization I think as will in a vehicle
I'll do my to fit it very well in there, but still.
Thank you so much for the links. Very useful.
I have just checked on YouTube for some comparisons and I'm not sure if 2-12mm will be enough for me.
I randomly found on Amazon UK something, like that, but bit pricey tbh.

Those cameras are unsuitable for your purpose. They have a USB interface designed to connect directly to a computer or bespoke NVR and they generally operate on MacOS, Windows or Linux. They cannot simply be connected directly to a small LCD monitor of the type we've been talking about.

Also, you don't want or need more than an 8-12mm focal length lens for dash cam purposes. Any more than that and you will have far too narrow a FOV to be at all practical and you will also experience extremely magnified vibrations with such a telephoto lens in a moving vehicle that no amount of image stabilization will fix. (again, read the discussions and see the examples in the provided thread links)

I believe you are planning to use this telephoto 'zoom' for live view looking ahead to help you see what you cannot see by yourself when driving a right hand drive car in Europe? You may want to check the driving regulations in the country you are going to. Here in the UK it is not legal to have a live view of the road ahead visible to the driver.

I believe you are planning to use this telephoto 'zoom' for live view looking ahead to help you see what you cannot see by yourself when driving a right hand drive car in Europe? You may want to check the driving regulations in the country you are going to. Here in the UK it is not legal to have a live view of the road ahead visible to the driver.

I've been thinking the same thing and was going to mention it. Any live screen visible to the driver is illegal in most jurisdictions as far as I know.

Millions of people drive right hand drive vehicles all over the world. Seems to me the best thing to do would be to take the time to get used to driving in a "mirror world" environment. Eventually it will become second nature.

Back