Setting starting file timecode to clock time

dbbarron

Reaction score
Country
United States
My mobius mini appears to store 00:00:00 as the start time code for any recorded file in MOV format.
Is it possible to option this to the clock time instead?

You might find more people who can answer your Mobius Mini questions over at the RCGroups forum

Yes the mini have seen very little adoption among dashcam users, TBH i cant recall anyone in here mentioning they have one.

I had the original mobius, then the mobius 2 and i am currently using the mobius maxi as my long range camera.

If the mini is unpopular, which models are generally recommended for dashcam like applications (in my case a race car with cameras aimed in for driver view and another for the pedals.)?

The mobius are no longer keeping up with dashcams, at least not the mid / better ones.
For a race car i dont even think i myself would use a dashcam, okay for the pedal work it will be fine, heel/toe fandango the modest bitrate of dashcams can do, also filming a driver, but what the driver see i would use a action camera on as with a higher bitrate it will be able to give much more detail.

For smaller cameras something like the Street Guardian SG9663DR would be fine i recon, it is a dual remote system with the 2 cameras on a wire and a main unit with a small LCD you can mount just about where you like

The race car uses an AIM SmartyCam HD which is a bespoke motorsports camera with data system integration and overlay. The pedal cam and driver cam are just for coaching, thus anything will work, but it must be reliable, simple and tough.

If it's in good airflow, the mini might be OK. It's an action cam, not a dashcam, and it's not really meant for long continuous use or where it can overheat. This was made clear by Mobius when they introduced it as many of us wanted to use it as a dashcam :( Action cams would better suit your purpose than dashcams. Other than Mobius products those are beyond my expertise. The original Mobius is a very solid and robust cam, available with LiPo battery or supercaps; old technology and not good in low-light but otherwise a very solid performer with a few lens choices too. It also holds up well in high heats with the supercaps. The folks over at the Goprawn form linked HERE know action cams and can help you find the best for your purposes.

I was going to suggest a Waylens Horizon, but you've already got that base covered it seems :cool: and now I have to take a peek at the AIM (y)

(which by the way looks VERY nice for a racer cam :cool: )

Phil

Last edited:
I attached a heatsink to the bottom of the Mobius Mini and it stays less than warm when running for hours.
The factory heatsink was too hot to touch after 1 hour. I don' think heat will be an issue, but the file underlap bothers me.

The AIM SmartyCam HD is near bulletproof, but pricey.

Yes the mini have seen very little adoption among dashcam users, TBH i cant recall anyone in here mentioning they have one.
@dirkzelf, didn't you try the Mobius Mini?

The pedal cam and driver cam are just for coaching, thus anything will work, but it must be reliable, simple and tough.
Do either of these need to be weatherproof? Do you want it to be a small matchbox shape like the Mini?

The original Mobius is extremely reliable and tough, and is available with a range of lenses to suit the FOV you need.

@dirkzelf, didn't you try the Mobius Mini?
Yes, I've uses it mainly on the motorbike, but it's not perfect. Powerconnection is sometimes wobly, as with the maxi by the way. Besides, it doesn't really add much value to the whole operation. As a dashcam I rather use Viofo or GitUp F1. Better video and much better sound. You can check my YouTube Chanel for clips with any of them.

Ive tried it as a hatcam but it gets pretty hot at 60fps. The battery doesn't last very long because is small, and it really suffers from the heat and has a much shorters lifespan than others.

I believen Mobius is working on new camera's?

BTW, what's the deal with Goprawn? Why do we need it? Are'nt DCT good enough?

More experienced action cam users there than here. I like folks to get the best assistance I can offer. We've got dashcams covered, they have action cams covered ;)

Phil

Back