Viofo A139 3CH review

I have just received my sample for reviewing. The rotation in the settings is actually a vertical mirror flip, which is a bit odd.
You can report that as a bug, should already be reported by someone else, but just to be sure, there is no harm reporting it again, most people will not have installed it that way. I did report that bug a while ago, but that was for a different camera.

You can report that as a bug, should already be reported by someone else, but just to be sure, there is no harm reporting it again, most people will not have installed it that way. I did report that bug a while ago, but that was for a different camera.

I have mentioned it to viofo now, it's not a deal breaker though (y)

I found the same thing with mine. My rear camera is flipped rather than rotated.

I found the same thing with mine. My rear camera is flipped rather than rotated.
I've mentioned this as well. I'm no coding or SDK expert, but it does seem that this can be easily addressed through FW so I expect we will see that change by the time the A139 hits the market.

In the meantime I had to remount my interior cam over this, no big deal really, and if it's not able to be changed by release time it can be made note of so that buyers know to orient the cam modules correctly the first time round ;)

Phil

Viofo have said the rotate function works as expected, and they can add a mirror function in a later firmware.

I remember some other viofo cams had both functions, so it's likely the chipset supports it.

@Jeremy Wong how long ist he is the USB c charge cable or hardwire kit? Long enough to reach the back?
I didn't measure how long it is but it's more than enough for installing for the front using either the USB C car charger and hardwire kit with the dust box at the front of the car.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

I didn't measure how long it is but it's more than enough for installing for the front using either the USB C car charger and hardwire kit with the dust box at the front of the car.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

The reason I ask is because the fuse box I'd like to use is at the rear of my car.

The reason I ask is because the fuse box I'd like to use is at the rear of my car.

BMW or Benz? Usually those will need to extend the hardwire kit with wires to reach the rear fuse box.

Yes you can extend the 12 V side of the hard wire kit with no problems, extending the 5V side after the PSU can be problematic and is not recommended.
If you have a good ground point up front you can grab that there and so just need to lengthen the two 12 V wires.

Reactions: Mtz
H.264 Low bit rate
Front cam: 2560×1440 30fps – Overall bit rate: 15.3 Mb/s. 109MB per 1min file.
Rear cam: 1920×1080 30fps – Overall bit rate: 10.3 Mb/s. 73.7MB per 1min file.
Interior cam: 1920×1080 30fps – Overall bit rate: 10.3 Mb/s. 73.7MB per 1min file.

Are these the same bit rates used in low bit rate parking mode?

Yes you can extend the 12 V side of the hard wire kit with no problems, extending the 5V side after the PSU can be problematic and is not recommended.
If you have a good ground point up front you can grab that there and so just need to lengthen the two 12 V wires.

I tend to like to tap mine from behind the radio since that has Vbatt, Vacc and Gnd all in one place too. Just gotta have my own extra fuse for Vbatt line, since Vacc has its own small fuse in the interior fusebox too.

Hi Folks,

I'm looking to buy dash cams for all 4 cars in the family. Can't decide between the a129 Duo Plus (on sale right now for $145) or wait for the a139.

Any guess on the a139 price? Would the a139's extra interior cam provide overall better surveillance by recording both sides of the car? For the early testers, which would you buy for your family?

Thanks!

@Rickflair well you've got 4 cars. You can start off with A129 Plus first on whichever two you use most often, and get two more A139 when it comes out. Move them around or just put them into the other two cars. I have a feeling the A139 will cost substantially more than the A129 Plus.

I think a camera like the A139 are only really relevant if you are a uber driver or something like that.
Personally i do not want to share any cabin footage, but i must also admit that there are plenty of people out there for whom turning a camera at one self must be next to bliss as it seem very popular.

Granted another part could also claim that just before the crash you was seen using a phone while driving, and that you could then disproof with cabin footage, but really people would more likely claim you swerved and that is why the rear ended you or you ran a stop sign or red light, and for all of those claims you just need a front camera to call them out.

I think viofo are intending to sell the A139 with the cabin camera as a option, and i think that is a wise decision on their part.

Interior cam can be useful in capturing the side of the car though, but only if it's visible through the window. I think my preference might be to have 2 rear cam mounted on the rear side quarter window (hatchback/suv) to record the sides and have an extra cam to record the rear; but then that still requires 2 individual dash cam unit as opposed to having one system that records all.

But yeah, I personally don't like to record myself (not an uber/lyft driver).

Not much side view on the cabin camera, at least not with mine a few inched below the headliner on the mirror stalk, also exposure for daytime brightness are off, but better WDR / HDR would fix that.
Testing the B2W i was amazed one night in a roundabout with normal levels of street light i was able to get the plate on the car behind me on the cabin camera, that was just a lot of things coming together at the right time.
But proper side cameras i feel are the way to go if you are that way inclined, trying it with a cabine camera just take even more luck to get that capture.

Back