Viofo A139 3-Channel Camera Test

For interior cam, another good option is to mount under the mirror and in the central, it will have the best view of the inside.

For interior cam, another good option is to mount under the mirror and in the central, it will have the best view of the inside.
In this car, I think the interior camera would sit better above the mirror than below, but each car is different.

Would there be any issues with mounting the interior camera on the flat surface of the main camera unit? It would not block any vent holes.

1606218467329.png

I cant see that should be a problem, dont thing Viofo calculate on heat dissipation thru that piece of plastic

Would there be any issues with mounting the interior camera on the flat surface of the main camera unit? It would not block any vent holes.
That bit doesn't seem to get hot, or even very warm, so it seems unlikely there would be any issue.
Although we know that the heat sinking is being improved, so this might change.

Might end up with electronic interference of some kind mounted that close but try it if you want since that won't damage anything permanently. My interior cam is just above the main unit so close the coax has to bend to go behind it and I haven't noticed any issues so I think it will be OK.

Phil

I'm OK with the interior camera placement in my car, just above the rear view mirror. My front camera unit is too low to have the interior camera fixed to it.

img_20201112_140856-01-jpeg.54179
1606218467329-png.54322

This location above the mirror might work for @Mtrev too, however his front camera is higher up above the mirror. That's when I considered mounting the interior cam on the main unit, similar to how some other 2-CH and 3-CH cameras are designed.

I wish the interior cable cam was shorter... I had to wrap the cable around my radar detector lol

I wish the interior cable cam was shorter... I had to wrap the cable around my radar detector lol
I could have used a short 10cm cable. But it is easy to coil up and stuff into the headliner, even when I have 4 or 5 other dashcam cables up there!

That's when I considered mounting the interior cam on the main unit, similar to how some other 2-CH and 3-CH cameras are designed.
Yeah, could be interesting if main unit has some guide rails on the case to insert there the interior camera mount.
Did you tested if you can apply the interior camera on the main unit and then to see if it is OK or not? In some previous post I told you that your main camera could be mounted a little more up.

enjoy,
Mtz

Yeah, could be interesting if main unit has some guide rails on the case to insert there the interior camera mount.
Did you tested if you can apply the interior camera on the main unit and then to see if it is OK or not? In some previous post I told you that your main camera could be mounted a little more up.

enjoy,
Mtz
In an earlier post you suggested that @Mtrev could move his higher. If I move mine any higher then the sensor housing enters the field of view. I suspect the same is true for Mtrev.

I did think about a guide rail for attaching the interior camera. But that would spoil the sleek appearance for the majority who do not mount a camera there. Perhaps a bracket attached to the screw mounts on the top and right side of the case?

I did think about a guide rail for attaching the interior camera. But that would spoil the sleek appearance for the majority who do not mount a camera there. Perhaps a bracket attached to the screw mounts on the top and right side of the case?
I think for most people it is going to be the wrong place, to work it needs the mirror to be close to the glass and well below the roof, which I think is only a small proportion of vehicles. Also, if you want the driver's door window covered for conversations then in most cases you want the interior camera on the glass below the mirror since then it is further forward so the door window isn't out of the field of view. That also requires the main camera to be lower so that the interior camera isn't blocking its view.

I think for most people it is going to be the wrong place, to work it needs the mirror to be close to the glass and well below the roof, which I think is only a small proportion of vehicles. Also, if you want the driver's door window covered for conversations then in most cases you want the interior camera on the glass below the mirror since then it is further forward so the door window isn't out of the field of view. That also requires the main camera to be lower so that the interior camera isn't blocking its view.
You're right, it's probably not going to work for most people. A guide rail or bracket is probably a step too far. But the fact that the main camera body is flat does at least give the user an option to mount the interior camera there if they wish.

Maybe someone can do the CAD design on some form of bracket people can get 3D printed.

It would be costly and troublesome to redesign the case at this point in time, but it may be worth considering in future cam designs. I've noticed that there are two threaded inserts with this cam; one on the side just above the SD card and the other centered on top. Not sure what their function is but perhaps could provide a means to mount the interior cam to the main body through some kind of adaptor? Or maybe alternative means for mounting the cam (without GPS as that's in the mount)? I wonder why they are there- anyone know?

Having said that I am not sure if the approach of an integrated mounting is truly good. It will increase the bulk of the main cam to attach the interior cam this way, and as always different cars need different mounting positions of the main cam so one attaching point will still not work for everyone. And with most cams that have a "plug-in" style interior cam (as well as this one as it is now) you get only vertical movement. I'd like to see horizontal aiming too, and that will need a new mount for the interior cam. "Wedging" will work for most installs, but after having the B2K I very much like that I can aim it's interior cam wherever I want to with just a quick twist with the fingers. It is by far my favorite feature of that cam ;) As the A139 is now you can stick the interior cam where you like already so it's not really a big issue but more of a possible design refinement.

What I think should be done here is to offer different cable lengths to better handle the different installs. This is already appearing to be important even with the limited number of these cams being used right now; if we're having issues with this in our few numbers it will be a much bigger issue on the open market :oops:

This could be handled in a number of ways. There are lots of cable-makers offering coax with fitted connectors in every variety now, so to avoid the need for extra stock or the hassles of shipping additional items Viofo could recommend a specific seller where buyers could go the get different cables they need while ensuring that the necessary quality is still there. That would make it easier for Viofo and allow every buyer to easily have the exact cables they want incliding straight or angled ends :) I'm sure that in time someone is going to find and share a source for these cables anyway. That's on my bucket-list but I don't have time to look into it right now or any time soon.

Phil

I've noticed that there are two threaded inserts with this cam; one on the side just above the SD card and the other centered on top. Not sure what their function is but perhaps could provide a means to mount the interior cam to the main body through some kind of adaptor? Or maybe alternative means for mounting the cam (without GPS as that's in the mount)? I wonder why they are there- anyone know?
Yes, they are for the security screws for the physical memory card lock so that company drivers can't mess with the card or unplug the power!

I think you could mount the A139 main camera a little more up so it can be less visible from outside.

enjoy,
Mtz
Yes I could possibly get it slightly higher, i just didn't want to have the headlining putting tension on the connections themselves so opted for where it is.

I'm OK with the interior camera placement in my car, just above the rear view mirror. My front camera unit is too low to have the interior camera fixed to it.

img_20201112_140856-01-jpeg.54179
1606218467329-png.54322

This location above the mirror might work for @Mtrev too, however his front camera is higher up above the mirror. That's when I considered mounting the interior cam on the main unit, similar to how some other 2-CH and 3-CH cameras are designed.
Yes I think mounting it on the mirror cover like yours would work in mine as well. The mount I have it on brings it out to a similar level but if I did want to record a conversation at the window or similar i can twist it that way and catch it fully. I ordered that before the camera had arrived so i hadn't weighed the interior camera location up fully before ordering it. Another option I thought about was whether theres any mounts that could clip to the roof lining itself, in my car there is a sun roof so this could work here but then either would have to show the front or the back not both.

Another option I thought about was whether theres any mounts that could clip to the roof lining itself
A simple banknote clip could do that, if the headliner is strong enough.

Slide the clip on the edge of the headliner, then mount the camera onto the clip.

Back