Larger sized microSD Cards for Thinkware U1000 ?

Peter_R

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thinkware U1000 Front and rear cameras with radar module
Some users are claiming to be successfully using larger sized MicroSD cards larger than the manufacturer's recommended sized cards of 128gb in the Thinkware U1000 dash cam only. One person says they are using a 400gb card, with one other person said they had been using a 512gb Sandisk card. The link is as follows:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07P7M6K35.

Subsequently, the person who said they were using a 512gb card deleted their post in the thread below:

Before I waste money purchasing cards that are going to be problematic, would any user using the larger 400gb and 512gb cards only, without errors, please post their comments and provide links to Amazon where these cards can normally be purchased. I ask for Amazon links, because if there is a problem with fake cards, then these can be returned without issue. Note. I am already using 2 x 128gb cards that I swap in and out.

Kind regards

Peter

Last edited:
Yes but 128GB are as big as they get in that series, and 128GB are not really large today, i would call 256GB and larger for large

I am not able to say if any of those will work, Thinkware do not seem to put much effort into memory card compatibility, almost seem more the opposite.
With respect, why are you answering? I created the thread for the reason it says, and I specifically asked "would any user using the larger 400gb and 512gb cards only, without errors, please post their comments and provide links to Amazon where these cards can normally be purchased".

Thank you

Last edited:
Don't know if you've seen it but there's already a thread on the subject HERE with one member mentioning his 400GB card usage. Another post recommends an exact technique to make the card they used function properly which might help should you try something different.

Phil

Don't know if you've seen it but there's already a thread on the subject HERE with one member mentioning his 400GB card usage. Another post recommends an exact technique to make the card they used function properly which might help should you try something different.

Phil
I hadn't seen that thread Phil. Thanks for the heads up.
After much research it appears what is needed is a:
A micro-SDXC card 512GB A2 Class 10, UHS-I, U3, V30.
I have to emphasize that it needs to be an A2 card and NOT an A1 card!

The difference is described in the following link:

Peter

Last edited:
Just updating this thread for interested users of the U1000. I am using the following latest 512GB SanDisk extreme pro

It works perfectly as expectedDashcaminfo1.JPG

Last edited:
Both of these work, from my testing...

Samsung - EVO Plus 512GB microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card

Model: MB-MC512HA/AM

The 256GB SD is the

SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC

Model: SDSQQNR-256G-GN6IA
1619487047602.png

Both of these work, from my testing...

Samsung - EVO Plus 512GB microSDXC UHS-I Memory Card

Model: MB-MC512HA/AM

The 256GB SD is the

SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC

Model: SDSQQNR-256G-GN6IA
1619487047602.png
Thanks. I’m about to try the 512gb variant. I was using a Sandisk a1 400gb card for a couple of months before it corrupted and I couldn’t reformat it. So, for the last year I’ve been using a regular Samsung evo 128gb card in my u1000 without an issue.

Just thought I’d add that the one Peter recommended (512gb Sandisk extreme pro) also works in the thinkware T700.

Bump for a not too ancient thread...
Any opinions on the new blue EVO Select A2?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B09B1HMJ9Z

SAMSUNG EVO Select + Adapter 512GB microSDXC 130MB/s Full HD & 4K UHD, UHS-I, U3, A2, V30 (MB-ME512KA/AM)

Bump for a not too ancient thread...
Any opinions on the new blue EVO Select A2?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B09B1HMJ9Z

SAMSUNG EVO Select + Adapter 512GB microSDXC 130MB/s Full HD & 4K UHD, UHS-I, U3, A2, V30 (MB-ME512KA/AM)

Update.
Installed and they formatted out just fine. Show 477gb capacity on the info screen.

One difference from the original Evo 128s I installed is that after the camera said "Format complete", it disconnected from the phone and the app froze up on the "Do not power down" screen.
I closed the app and reopened and everything was fine... at first I was afraid it was going to go into a format loop, but it seems to have remained solid for the next 10 minutes.

May have spoken too soon on the 512GB Evo
I've noticed the last few days, "Chatty Cathy" hasn't informed me of parking incidents.
Yesterday, when I left work, it indicated a card error, format needed, and went into the format reboot loop.
I popped the card, it recognized the card being ejected, and reinserted.
At that point, it started continuous recording.

All seemed to be fine for the trip home. When I got home, I connected and scanned the drive, all of the data seemed to be there.... but after 7 full days (plus parking), I would imagine the card was full and the camera perhaps had trouble overwriting.
I shut everything down, and it went into parking mode, but then after a couple of minutes it went into the format reboot loop again.
I restarted the car to get it out of parking mode and I was able to reconnect without popping the card out.

I reformatted the card and will see how it does, but in the mean time, I ordered a couple of Sandisk 256gb Endurance cards.
My wife hasn't mentioned any issues with her camera, but she doesn't have nearly the driving hours I do (bought her car in July and she has under 1300 miles, I've put almost 9000 on mine since May).

i just stick to my 128gb's - I know I can trust them and they stock enough footage
personally i don't see the point of having bigger card to be honest, (unless you want to rewatch all your trips in full ..?)

i just stick to my 128gb's - I know I can trust them and they stock enough footage
personally i don't see the point of having bigger card to be honest, (unless you want to rewatch all your trips in full ..?)
Because we all have to have more more more :D

Seriously though, 128gb may not be enough, if for example, something happens on a longer trip and it needs to be downloaded later.
128gb does not get two full days of my drive to/from work, which means that on a vacation trip, it would be good for less than 6 hours. We frequently drive for 12 to 14 hours a day on vacation.
So a 256gb card is likely more than enough, but with the 4K video from the front (and the way the U1000 partitions available space) the 128gb card is a bit shy.

for me if something were to happen i would want to download the footage immediately.
also keep a spare small memory card, which i can eventually swap out.
i just find anything over 128gb too expensive / not worth it.
but.. to each their own of course :)

Back