YI LITE WEBCAM DRIVER

alexribeirodesa

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Hello everyone, YI LITE was a amazing camera with a very nice video quality, and I really don't know WHY I can use it as webcam.
Thats why I'm developing a driver to use my YI LITE as webcam to livestream with OBS in my YT and Twitch channels! I've got some nice results and I'm looking for someone who wants to test it.
Right now I'm building the github page for the project and I'll upload the first alpha very soon! :)

The plan is simple, first, create a simple and easy to use driver (just windows for now) and make it stable as possible!
2nd, make it work as a webcam with it own application to configure everything from the camera as the OBS source plugin.
3rd, implement it inside the OBS as a source plugin do configure the camera inside the application.
4th, find a way to hack the camera firmware to include some features that the stock firmware didn't have, as it works as a WIFI client. Different from the other YI action cameras, the YI LITE didn't have many hacks, I even didn't have found how unlock the telnet! But even working with a linux distribution, create a new distro isn't a option, create a new distro for this camera will become the project very expensive and a good WIFI dongle is much more cheap xD

Thanks! and I really hope someone find a good use for this project :) I'll keep posting here the news about it!
Another thing, I didn't know if this driver will work with another YI cameras as I only have a YI LITE... Fell free to test and post here the feedback!

Last edited:
did some changes, now I'll develop the app first then the OBS plugin, it makes more sense, with this everyone will can use it...
One problem, the YI camera didn't give access to the mic, I can only get the video feed... There some ways to solve this issue, one option is use the computer mic (you can select the mic input to use), but let's talk about the second problem!
Second problem, delay, as YI give a very limited access to the stock firmware the video feed have a huge delay, this isn't a problem when you are live streaming to youtube or twitch, but become a big issue when you are using it as main webcam for a zoom or google meet call! I really don't know if there something can I do for now to solve or reduce the delay :-/

If you go to YI website NOW the action cams just didn't exist there anymore, the best option is they opening the firmware source as they didn't care about to keep updating it... We can dream about it hahaha xD

I don't know much about these things but if it's Ambarella based there's a FW extractor program that might help HERE, the language is Russian on that site. Novatek seems hacker-friendly to some degree. Not sure about any other types of chips.

Phil

I don't know much about these things but if it's Ambarella based there's a FW extractor program that might help HERE, the language is Russian on that site. Novatek seems hacker-friendly to some degree. Not sure about any other types of chips.

Phil
nice! I'll check it! :D I've downloaded the lattest firmware and I'll try to unpack it...
Some time ago I've used telnet in my camera, but I really didn't remember HOW I've done that, I'll try to find something about it in this forum too!

Back