Terrible night quality, all fuzzy. Day quality better but still not good. Any sugegstions?

matt7991

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So i have the above dashcam and the night footage is HORRENDOUS, the day footage isnt the best either. Im wondering if anyone has suggestions. I thought this was suppose to be a really good cam? I have the CPL filter on, running at 2k 60, WDR OFF

Can you upload a still shot from the daytime?

Did you remove the protective film layers from both sides of the CPL?

Can you upload a still shot from the daytime?

Did you remove the protective film layers from both sides of the CPL?
Film was removed on both sides and the lense as well. Windshield was clean as well. Day capture
It looks decent from far but in the actual aspect, you cant even read the numbers on the side of the road.
Day capture 2 - Even this one you cant see anything on the building at the side and the number is very fuzzy and barely legible.

Last edited:
Lens is aimed too high, but that picture doesn’t look to good. Is this a still shot? I’m currently viewing on a small screen. Will need to see how it looks later on my PC. Could only see the first shot and it appears to be dusk. Any still shot in bright daylight?

Lens is aimed too high, but that picture doesn’t look to good. Is this a still shot? I’m currently viewing on a small screen. Will need to see how it looks later on my PC. Could only see the first shot and it appears to be dusk. Any still shot in bright daylight?
What makes you think that the lense is too high? Also those were pictures moving at slow speeds (approx 40km/h). The second link has been fixed.

Here are a couple of still pictures of the same day, different times but still the same place plus a few others i found.

Album

The stills are passable, but once any bit of movement (any at all) is introduced whether day or night, the footage becomes practically useless. It becomes extremely grainy and even a simple roadsign cannot be read.

We recommend using 2K 30FPS.

And it seems too much sky in the video, better to low the view angle.

While there is a sun directly in the front at nightfall, very hard to get nice video.

While there is a sun directly in the front at nightfall, very hard to get nice video.
Thank you, I will give this a try

Agree, I accidentally moved the lens once when mounting the camera and you'd be surprised the difference it makes.

Interesting comment by Viofo about using 30fps over 60fps. I'm finding 60fps OK.

Film was removed on both sides and the lense as well. Windshield was clean as well. Day capture
It looks decent from far but in the actual aspect, you cant even read the numbers on the side of the road.
Day capture 2 - Even this one you cant see anything on the building at the side and the number is very fuzzy and barely legible.
Too much sky. That will affect the image exposure making the shadows too dark.
I made the same mistake when I installed my first dashcam long time ago. I was trying to avoid seeing the hood of my vehicle in the picture and as a result I got similar results as you did.

The red dot represents the center of the picture. In my opinion the center of the lens or image should be aiming about where the yellow
line is. You can try to see if you like the results as for a better balanced exposure. Screenshot_20201129-232008_Gallery.jpg

This is a sample of mine:

7lEZgFS.jpg

Looking at mine, sideways on, it's the next position (click) down from 90° straight ahead.

When will you publish a new firmware, where the 60fps flickering issue is solved. Why do you offer 60gps, but recommend 30fps?

Not everyone has the flickering issue, I don't. If Viofo don't have a test rig that flickers then it may be some time.

I agree with your 60 v 30. Why release 60 if 30 is best? And why is it best?

Here are a couple of still pictures of the same day, different times but still the same place plus a few others i found.
What is this stamp on the video? is it really Viofo?
To understand your problem, you need to provide the original daytime video (before 14-00) the sun from behind.
I think your focus is out of focus, but I would like to take a look at the video.

Attachments

• h8CPFjL.png
    h8CPFjL.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
What is this stamp on the video? is it really Viofo?
To understand your problem, you need to provide the original daytime video (before 14-00) the sun from behind.
I think your focus is out of focus, but I would like to take a look at the video.
It looks like that stamp is from the player but there is no viofo or time/date stamp anywhere. Perhaps he disabled that feature. I do agree that focus seems a bit of in that image but it is not easy or good to judge without looking at the original file.

And depending on time of day and the sun, a CFL filter might be a worthwhile investment. Although, if you have tinted windows, it will create a starry effect. Precluding me from using one.

Back