Nextbase 322 with rear camera

Stushi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody had problems with the nextbase 322 with rear camera .It flattens my car battery randomly.My cigarette lighter is constantly on.I have tried a new lead switching off parking mode and am about to give up. Nextbase say it can't flatten the battery but the R A C say it can.That aside in s.o.s. mode it switches the screen on and off all the time which after weeks of experiments and informing Nextbase turned out to be a programming issue.

Welcome to DCT @Stushi :)

Don't know for sure but I've never seen a cigarette-lighter type PS have a low-voltage cut-off to save your car battery. You usually need a hardwire kit to get that function.

Beware HWK's without adjustable cut-off voltage as most of them are pre-set to 11.8V and sometimes lower, and that's too low. 12.2V is usually OK but I'd never go below 12.0V myself.

Phil

Powering a Dashcam 24x7 without a voltage cutoff is never a good idea. Batteries these days just aren't up to it.

Now you say that but in the 1950's it wan't unusual to power a small, door top of window hung, exterior light, white front, red rear, and that used to run all night without issue. Car started perfectly OK.

I remember my dad doing that on his Austin A35 van.

This type of thing https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283666240204

Thanks for comments.Nextbase assured me the cable had a cut off.However given all the inconvenience it causes i think I'll have to remember to unplug it.

Now you say that but in the 1950's it wan't unusual to power a small, door top of window hung, exterior light, white front, red rear, and that used to run all night without issue. Car started perfectly OK.
Yep, but those lights only draw about 10 milliamps, but a dashcam can draw up to 100 or so times more than that.

and I thought bulbs were battery drainers, my interior light, which I left on accidentally overnight ages ago, flattened my battery on my old car.

and I thought bulbs were battery drainers, my interior light, which I left on accidentally overnight ages ago, flattened my battery on my old car.
I've had that happen too with old car batteries. I once had a car which drained even a new battery overnight- there was a small light in the trunk (boot) which wasn't shutting off. Removed the bulb and no more problem ;)

It's not that today's car batteries aren't as good as before- they are actually better. The difference is that in old times they oversized the battery, but now they try to save weight and cost so the battery is made to be minimal for only the car's needs and there's no allowance for anything else.

Phil

Makes sense, shame in a way as some extra would be handy. Still, come full electric maybe that can be tapped into.

Back