Another fake G1W - Ebay seller - okletsgoo

GTG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just to alert folks of yet another seller peddling these - "okletsgoo"

Even though listed as "item located in the UK" it took about 10 days to arrive. Looks like a bunch of orders were delivered today as up to this point there was no feedback for this item.

Sad thing is about 5 positives were left today presumably from folks who don't know any better, even though the item is clearly not the real thing.

I split the camera open to reveal the 96220 processor to confirm but noticed that the poor quality photos taken show a camera model of GT200 under properties/details when transferred to a PC.

Not sure what the genuine G1W reports as the camera model - but maybe an easy way to verify fake or real?

I thought I would at least have a play with the camera and see how good or bad it really.

First thing I noticed is that the LCD display does not go off during recording, don't fancy that on my windscreen at night.

File size:
On full HD mode based on the 3 minute loop files of around 550MB the camera writes 3MB of data per second of recording. This equates to around 3 hours the maximum size 32 gigabyte card. The bitrate reported by VLC is around 24,000 kb/s which if my understanding is correct - is larger than the maximum permitted on the dash cam recording time calculator? Surely a bad sign.

Locking files:
For journeys greater than this any material of interest might be overwritten so I tested retention using the "mode" button to lock a file of interest nothing seems to have happened - no lock symbol on screen as stated in the G1W manual and no change in file name or attributes.

G-Sensor:
I tried to test the G-Sensor by tapping the camera with a screwdriver handle (fair old whack - any harder might have broken the mount). I don't know if this is a valid way to test this function but again nothing seems to happens to the files.

Using the video:
It takes 30 minutes to copy 1 hour of video to a PC from the camera over USB, although you may well get better performance with a card reader. As the file names are sequential by time stamp and with nothing to indicated an event there seems to be no easy way to find footage of interest unless you wade through it all or remember the time of the event.

Image quality:
Video posted by others show the difference, but the basic challenge of reading a number plate shows the weakness of this device. At a safe driving distance you have no chance, only when passing parked cars of oncoming traffic is it possible to catch a still of a number plate.

Conclusion:
If the reason for having a dash cam in the first place is to provide evidence after an incident, without H.264 compression to extend the recording time, the ability to lock an event by key press and a reliable G-Sensor you may well be disappointed.

Fullscreen capture 26022014 165604.jpg Fullscreen capture 26022014 165505.jpg Fullscreen capture 26022014 162953.jpg Fullscreen capture 26022014 162926.jpg Fullscreen capture 26022014 185710.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for letting other users know. Sucks that you did not get the real product.

But they have in fairness offered me six quid...:rolleyes:

But they have in fairness offered me six quid...:rolleyes:
File a counterfeit goods claim with eBay then if i remember right you get a refund and are told to destroy the camera.

File a counterfeit goods claim with eBay then if i remember right you get a refund and are told to destroy the camera.

Filed a claim - but we're in the "work it out" phase - if the camera was useful I would accept a compromise but my tests show it's not much more than a toy. They're still offering G1W which make me more likely to push them.

Quick update to confirm that all the files I had attempted to preserve by locking using the Mode button or by simulating a shock to trigger the G-Sensor were overwritten by this morning.

As the camera is effectively useless I have asked the seller to send me the camera they advertise or refund in full...

Just to keep the record straight - I managed to trigger the G-Sensor by knocking the camera against a hard surface. This resulted in a read-only file so at least that function works.

So that just leaves the huge MJPEG files (no compression - 3 minutes of black is the same size as 3 minutes of daytime motion) the inability to manually lock a file during a journey and the sub-standard picture quality.

Hi everybody!
I've gotten two fake cameras in the orange box from Ebay seller for $81. Please Do NOT buy from this seller "dedc"
They offered compensation $11.99 for two DVR. I wanted to send it back for full refund, but the shipping was $45 w/tracking.
Any conversations to get money back were unsuccessful. Save your money and nerve, DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SELLER. They use pictures of real G1W camera, but it is not true.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-HD-1080P-G1W-2-7-LCD-Car-DVR-Camera-Recorder-G-sensor-Night-Vision-Rear-/331114277870?pt=US_Rear_View_Monitors_Cams_Kits&hash=item4d17f2ebee

did you report it as a fake to eBay? if you raise a dispute for fake goods you have to destroy them, you can't send them back as it's an offense to send counterfeit goods through the post

If it help - 8 days after raising a "not as described" case, the item is "fake/counterfeit", I got the option to "escalated to ebay" and received full refund.

Seller went though all the options - "leave positive feedback" for partial refund to "close case now" for replacement. They never disputed the suggestion it was fake and didn't seem to want the item back - taking all 8 days allowed to provide a return address.

On the other hand, I checked today and they have the same G1W listing, bar a couple of minor edits, at more than twice the price so maybe they have the real G1W in stock now?

Sadly, due to the number of fakes around, I have gone completely off this model but as 2 of us have been victims of road rage recently, will look something I can depend on after an incident.

Follow the links on the review pages (i.e Techmoan) then you will not get caught out. Simples

I got the same Fake from okletsgoo as well , got a refund under Ebay Moneyback Guarantee due to being fake ,
got strung along by the seller upping his refund offer by a little each day.
Mine recorded large AVI files and out of focus on right of picture . but it did switch the screen off according
to which setting I chose. Now ordered from another seller the G1W-H listed as having the proper chipset
here is hoping it is genuine this time. :)

I got the same Fake from okletsgoo as well , got a refund under Ebay Moneyback Guarantee due to being fake ,
got strung along by the seller upping his refund offer by a little each day.
Mine recorded large AVI files and out of focus on right of picture . but it did switch the screen off according
to which setting I chose. Now ordered from another seller the G1W-H listed as having the proper chipset
here is hoping it is genuine this time. :)

Who did you order from?

Anyone know if that seller is genuine?

Back