Which mobius is right for me?

amp3d

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I'm just wondering some key differences between the various models (1, 2, maxi).

Specifically, I'll be using this with a varifocal lens in an attempt to not just use it as a dash cam, but hooked up to a monitor as a camera for assisting with left hand turns as I have a right hand drive vehicle. Intersections are quite dangerous when you cannot see around oncoming traffic, so I won't really need the recording functionality. I'm essentially using it just for turning left :)

If anyone can recommend a decent little monitor as well that would be great, but mainly interested in trying to figure out which mobius is the best route to go.

Thanks everyone!

The M2 is long out of production but some may be available for sale in places. It's not recommended for anything. The Maxi seems to still have some reliability issues long unfixed, and it lacks the wide adjustability of the M1. That adjustability is a needed asset for using a telephoto lens so I'd recommend the M1 here.

Phil

Great info! Thank you! Is the M1 still in production?

Pretty much same price as 4 years ago but still great value (y)

And still unique in many ways which no other cam can do, which is why they're still selling as well as they are. The M1 will go down in the annals of history as one of the best dashcams ever, and possibly as one of the best electronic devices ever made too :cool:

Phil

I possibly would not have bought one had it not been for the review by Techmoan. Who else saw that?

And still unique in many ways which no other cam can do, which is why they're still selling as well as they are. The M1 will go down in the annals of history as one of the best dashcams ever, and possibly as one of the best electronic devices ever made too :cool:

Phil

And certainly the most reliable, long term.

Thats a damn good deal.

Somebody on eBay with a 100% reputation score is currently selling M1 A2 lens Mobius cams with the AV cable for $29.99 USD with free economy shipping. He's got 10 available! Not sure if it is legit but it looks intriguing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313376837450
100% positive feedback on 8 transactions, 2 as a seller, neither for a Mobius although claims 5 sold already. Personally I'd avoid this one.

100% positive feedback on 8 transactions, 2 as a seller, neither for a Mobius although claims 5 sold already. Personally I'd avoid this one.

I would tend to agree except that eBay would protect the buyer if things should go wrong. Could be worth a flyer. What I find intriguing is that he has 10 of them and has sold 5, all within the last few days (according to eBay)

Can't see the price being that low- it's below build cost and with others are still selling the same thing at normal retail prices that says something ain't right here. But with Paypal it should be safe to try. Too bad it won't be me- money is still short here :(

Phil

it's a hijacked account, nothing will get shipped and likely whoever took over the account will never see any money from the fake sales anyway, they've done 55 sales of another fake listing as well, check back on the link in a week or so and you'll see the account is closed or taken back

Thanks everyone for all the great info in here.

I guess I have one other question. I currently have an Android Headunit in my car, and it came with a little camera that works as a dash cam when the car starts up.
Does anyone know if I could use a mobius (maybe with an OTG adapter or something) to phase out the crappy cam that came with the headunit? I'm just not sure how the headunit works in the regards to starting/stopping the recording so I thought maybe someone here would know

Thanks everyone for all the great info in here.

I guess I have one other question. I currently have an Android Headunit in my car, and it came with a little camera that works as a dash cam when the car starts up.
Does anyone know if I could use a mobius (maybe with an OTG adapter or something) to phase out the crappy cam that came with the headunit? I'm just not sure how the headunit works in the regards to starting/stopping the recording so I thought maybe someone here would know

You could likely use the Mobius AV wiring harness that came with the camera. It would be an analogue 720p signal using RCA plugs but it should be doable AFAIK.

You could likely use the Mobius AV wiring harness that came with the camera. It would be an analogue 720p signal using RCA plugs but it should be doable AFAIK.
480p on the AV output, good chance it will work better than the other camera though anyway, webcam mode is 720p but don't think that would be compatible with the headunit

480p on the AV output, good chance it will work better than the other camera though anyway, webcam mode is 720p but don't think that would be compatible with the headunit

I forgot but, yeah I guess you are right about that. On the other hand when I use analogue AV out on my 7 inch LCD TV/monitor with the camera set to 16:9 ratio TV video out I get pretty decent results. Hard to see in this image because it's in bright sunlight but you can get an idea. The TV/monitor has a 720p screen.

I thought the AV output can be adapted to the head unit input. I seem to remember someone doing that here on DCT.

pod_set-up.jpg

Last edited:
Back