Blackvue files - Good editor?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Blackvue DR970X-2CH
I've recently installed a new Blackvue 900X 2CH. I've had a dashcam previously and have been happy editing, using Magix Vegas Movie Studio 16 Platinum. It's a good editor and well laid out. That all changed trying to edit the 900X files. (Quick question: are these the same file formats as the DR900S?)

Using a bit of troubleshooting (Mediainfo), the 900X files record in a Variable Framerate (VFR), HEVC, H.265. Apparently, VMS 16 (and 17... and Pro) can only handle a Constant Framerate (CFR). I can easily fix this by converting the file using Handbrake, but that kinda defeats the purpose of an editor. Yes, I'm a version behind, but that's not making a difference. I have a support ticket, but the response is far from stellar.

I AM using Cyberlink PowerDirector 365, which does a very good job of recognizing the HEVC H.265 and editing; however, Cyberlink also removes the VFR in lieu of CFR, also reducing 30fps to 29.97fps, so its stripping everything out anyway, eliminating the Handbrake step. It works, but I'm not happy about it. Heck, I remember Cyberlink being installed as bloatware on nearly every new PC out there. Meh.

Anyway, anyone recommending a good editor that doesn't strip out everything that Blackvue has done to the file? Anyone want to try their hand at editing this file?

TY'all!

We use Premiere Pro and haven't run into any issues!

Cyberlink also removes the VFR in lieu of CFR, also reducing 30fps to 29.97fps,
Does that matter?
There is not much difference between 30fps and 29.97fps, just that one has been rounded up, the actual frame rate does not change.
There is also not much difference between VFR and CFR if they both run at 30fps all the time!

For me, not really. I really can't tell. That's not the point. I'd like to retain as much of the original as possible. Yeah, @BlackboxMyCar I'm trying to stay away from Adobe, but it seems they're biz model is being replicated everywhere, but on the sly. I.E. annual "versions" for $59.95 (iMagix products example) ... or whatever. It's none other than paying Adobe annually I guess.
...then again, I should stay away from anything that says "Pro"... :sneaky:

That's not the point. I'd like to retain as much of the original as possible.
The point is that the new version is identical to the original, except for how the the fps is described, "30fps" and "29.97fps" are the same number, just that one is written more accurately, VFR and CFR are the same if the fps never actually changes, which it doesn't.

Back