COVID-19 Coronavirus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Human pride is a horrible thing, so seldom seen in its true glorious form, but rather distorted flashes of horror are seen most often.
Don't get me wrong it is a good thing, but are often distorted by outside influences and so becoming really ugly.

Ugly pride are at the base of most of humanity's darkest moments, and in relation to this virus i am afraid we have not seen half of it yet.

Some interesting new positive findings about the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine.

The first dose of the Pfizer vaccination is 85% effective against coronavirus infection between two and four weeks after inoculation and studies have found the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine to be 95% effective one week after a second jab.

Secondly, Pfizer and BioNTech announced new research data on storage temperatures that show the vaccine could be stored for up to two weeks at standard freezer temperatures of -13°F to 5°F, "as an alternative or complement to storage in an ultra-low temperature freezer."

Meanwhile, the AstraZeneca vaccine is suffering from a variety of woes, including manufacturing shortfalls and efficacy concerns. The term being bandied about is "sub-par".

The vaccines may be unnecessary.

By no means is the article suggesting that vaccines may be "unnecessary".

"As of this week, 15% of Americans have received the vaccine, and the figure is rising fast. Former Food and Drug Commissioner Scott Gottlieb estimates 250 million doses will have been delivered to some 150 million people by the end of March."

150 million people vaccinated is nearly half the population of the country. Meanwhile, as many as several thousand deaths a day are still occurring despite the recent COVID wave subsiding. (2,775 US deaths yesterday - 2,448 today) At that rate there could be more than 150,000 additional deaths by the end of April.

There is also the uncertainty surrounding the COVID variants of which there are seven currently circulating within the U.S.

There is also considerable debate about COVID herd immunity and about the ultimate nature of this particular coronavirus, long term, and its variants.

Fauci said that we may see "signs" of herd immunity by April, which is a far cry from the opinion expressed in the WSJ.

"Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's senior official for infectious diseases, predicts the United States could begin to achieve early stages of herd immunity against the deadly coronavirus by late spring or summer."

Fauci Predicts U.S. Could See Signs Of Herd Immunity By Late March Or Early April

Others are less optimistic.

Study: U.S. 'a long way' from herd immunity despite number of COVID-19 cases

"Even with the large continued wave of COVID-19 infections, the U.S. remains a long way from acquiring the level of herd immunity necessary for disrupting ... transmission," said Angulo, lead epidemiologist with the COVID-19 Medical Team at Pfizer Vaccines.

Hopefully, Dr. Makary is correct but the bottom line is that we will all just have to wait and see what happens as the pandemic plays out and make the best of things in the interim. Either way, vaccines will play a primary role in protecting the population regardless of any natural herd immunity that may or may not be occurring. The vaccines are hardly "unnecessary".

Last edited:
Glad i am not a traveling man anymore, i also dont think things will ease up anytime soon, and TBH even if i was all shot up there is still the risk of running into something nasty out there in the world.
Just like in the old days where i was shot up good to guard against a range of the old world deceases, and was eating malaria pills often too when in certain areas of the world.

Granted some places might get ready for visitor's soon, so you cant maybe follow some Texan senator to warmer climates in Mexico, but then depending where you are from you might have to get isolated for a few weeks when coming home, and then we are talking 5 weeks or so out for a couple of weeks holiday, and most normal people can not afford that even if they get back to work.

I do wonder if that Texan senator had him self and the family vaccinated before the trip,,,, probably have as those people always look out for #1

The only heard thing i trust in as it is well proven is the Human heard tendencies, AKA sheeple .

The vaccines may be unnecessary.

The main reason for the 77% drop, or 80% in UK is that the virus is seasonal, like all the other coronaviruses. Most of Europe and North America have seen similar spikes around the new year, including Denmark that had not built up much herd immunity and still hasn't. South America didn't see the same spikes, but they will in their winter. Yes, the virus is likely to nearly disappear by around April in northern countries, but then it will move south and return north again next winter. The people who haven't already had it, which is still most people, if they don't get vaccinated they are likely to get it next winter, and some of them will die - the vaccine is highly desirable, it will prevent death.

There are also places like Australia, NZ, China that don't have any significant herd immunity and need the vaccine before they can open their doors again, and even if they do open their doors they will not be welcome elsewhere until they are vaccinated because unlike most people here, they will be covid-19 spreaders!

The main reason for the 77% drop, or 80% in UK is that the virus is seasonal, like all the other coronaviruses. Most of Europe and North America have seen similar spikes around the new year, including Denmark that had not built up much herd immunity and still hasn't.
If seasonal the virus could be an issue for decades to come. This was one small glimpse of hope.

My doctor said he thought in 6 months it would be over thanks to vaccinations. I hope he is right.

As long as i dont see the Name Captain Trips anywhere.

It's always going to peak in cold seasons and reduce in the warmer months, it may come back a little differently each winter though as it evolves
Once everyone is vaccinated, it will be no different to the other coronaviruses, some people may get a cold every few years. The others also mutate but that has never been an issue.

Once everyone is vaccinated, it will be no different to the other coronaviruses, some people may get a cold every few years. The others also mutate but that has never been an issue.
If anything its natural progression has been slowed/extended due to poor decisions, excessive restrictions during warmer months, restrictions applied equally to healthy and compromised individuals etc

COVID-19 is no common cold virus. It is a novel coronavirus virus that's been shown to cause blood clots, strokes, heart attacks, permanent lung, heart, liver and brain damage, chronic mood and fatigue disorders and a range of other serious long term maladies. Plus death. And that was before mutations were discovered! Making arrogant and dismissive remarks such as "it's no different to the other coronaviruses, some people may get a cold every few years" sounds incredibly naïve and shortsighted at this juncture. But of course, that's what we've come to expect from self appointed internet pundits. The fact of the matter is that we just don't know what will happen long term as this plays out. Obviously, vaccines will be a great benefit but we could be dealing with a nasty virus that we will have to contend with going forward for a long time to come. It may become a permanent aspect to our lives that will affect society in ways we can't yet predict.

The silliest of comments I have seen so far anywhere in the world.

Others mutate, yes i think it was 2018 the vaccinations made for old people in advance of the flu getting back up here, well it was off so not as good as they could be.
I would still hate to have to go get a shot every year, and i am sure that will not happen in the poor countries of the world, so we would just be playing a never ending game of catch up.

you can also bust your knee in several ways, but only one or two of them mean that you will walk with a severe limp the rest of your life.

3a4972836249f396b098f097737a8a5527f1bc9b.jpg

If anything its natural progression has been slowed/extended due to poor decisions, excessive restrictions during warmer months, restrictions applied equally to healthy and compromised individuals etc
And now equally to vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals, with restrictions possibly staying in place because some people refuse the vaccines.

It is a novel coronavirus virus that's been shown to cause blood clots, strokes, heart attacks, permanent lung, heart, liver and brain damage, chronic mood and fatigue disorders and a range of other serious long term maladies. Plus death.
You think the other coronaviruses don't cause all those issues to people who haven't encountered then in their first few years of life?
Remember what happened to the native americans when they first encountered what to them were novel viruses :(

The silliest of comments I have seen so far anywhere in the world.
Of course the others mutate, they are all coronaviruses, all very similar; the difference is that we rarely do much genetic sequencing on the others so we don't see most of the mutations, in fact we rarely do any testing for the others so we don't have much data on the outbreaks; although we do have enough to know that they come around every winter, with a more significant outbreak every two years, and then for most areas they disappear in the summer .

New data from a survey of 1.4 million Scottish people, in the 4th week after vaccination, hospitalisation rates had reduced to:
down 84% for a single dose of the Pfizer vaccine,
down 94% for a single dose of the Astrazeneca vaccine.

Seems that getting everyone their first dose before moving on to the 2nd doses is a good idea!

You think the other coronaviruses don't cause all those issues to people who haven't encountered then in their first few years of life?
Remember what happened to the native americans when they first encountered what to them were novel viruses :(

Native Americans were not exposed to novel versions of usually benign common viruses that were otherwise endemic to their populations. Europeans from the Old World, suddenly exposed them to deadly new viruses the likes of which their immune systems had never seen. The primary one was smallpox and it killed them off in droves. In fact, smallpox was used as a kind of genocidal biological weapon when the British intentionally exposed them to it.

Coronaviruses are generally not deadly and do not cause all kinds of serious ancillary problems like major organ damage, strokes and heart attacks.

For this reason, your ridiculous statement three days ago claiming that COVID-19: "will be no different to the other coronaviruses, some people may get a cold every few years." is absurd and incorrect.

"Common human coronaviruses, including types 229E, NL63, OC43, and HKU1, usually cause mild to moderate upper-respiratory tract illnesses, like the common cold. Most people get infected with one or more of these viruses at some point in their lives. This information applies to common human coronaviruses and should not be confused with coronavirus disease 2019 (formerly referred to as 2019 Novel Coronavirus)."

COVID-19 was not until recently a common human coronavirus. It jumped from another species. It is not, and will never be a "common cold virus".

Symptoms of common human coronaviruses:

• runny nose
  • sore throat
  • headache
  • fever
  • cough
  • general feeling of being unwell
Human coronaviruses can sometimes cause lower-respiratory tract illnesses, such as pneumonia or bronchitis. This is more common in people with cardiopulmonary disease, people with weakened immune systems, infants, and older adults.

Your post above comes across as some sort of desperate attempt to explain away and rationalize a completely incorrect assertion. The swift reaction from several members rejecting your remark has obviously been bugging you for the last several days, hence this post.

The fact is that with the novel coronavirus COVID-19 we are ALL Native Americans now!

Last edited:
The British flu now account for 57% of cases here, but in general all numbers are of the way down and we will probably soon see at least regional openings of stuff, but this will be accompanied by a severe rise in test capacities, so the around 100.000 - 130.000 daily tests we see should soon be much larger. ( so far +16 million tests have been taken here in the < 6 million strong country )
Only 2.9 % or 175.555 Danes are fully vaccinated at the moment, i assume this will pick up soon as they still say all could be vaccinated by late June.

Only 2.9 % or 175.555 Danes are fully vaccinated at the moment, i assume this will pick up soon as they still say all could be vaccinated by late June.
We are at 26.4%, with one dose, but one dose appears to be very effective given a few weeks to develop the immunity, second does can wait for an update that covers new strains.

Coronaviruses are generally not deadly and do not cause all kinds of serious ancillary problems like major organ damage, strokes and heart attacks.
SARS-CoV-1 was pretty deadly, 50% death rate for the over 60s, MERS was 35% death rate for all ages, HCoV-OC43 has been shown to kill, etc. etc. "These outbreaks establish HCoV-OC43 as a cause of morbidity in aged-care facilities and add to increasing evidence of the significance of coronavirus infections."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back