DDPai Mini5

bossti

Reaction score
Country
Slovenia
I'm testing Mini5, first instincts are good.
It bothers me because the detection field is hard. I have a feeling it's because of the windshield, which is very steep.
Camera mounting does not allow an inclination that would be optimal for very rectangular windscreens.There's talk of a truck.
The camera carrier should be much more flexible.
Fascinated is the parking mod, which can be processed with various additional audio recordings.The same applies to other recordings.

I've been trying to fool around with the 4G bracket, but to no luck. It's an interesting add-on. Otherwise the camera is pretty OK, if not a bit pricey.

hi,
i have a problem and don't know how to deal with it.
I would think it should start recording when it's powered, that's what is used to by other dashcams.
But unfortunately as i experienced the mini5 is really unreliable on this, and most of the time start recording only when i start the app on the phone (iphone).

any ideas?
IMG_8159 (1).PNG

_
p

@pnc are you using hardwired power kit?

@pnc are you using hardwired power kit?
it's plugged in into the cigar lighter plug via usb charger, it turns on by ignition. Right after i hear the startup sound so it's on and a led is changing to blue - wich should be indicate that it's recording as far i know.
But if i check later in the app i can't find the video for the ride.

p

Seems like everything else is working as expected. You've got a lemon mate. Do get in touch with the seller.

Could be a memory card issue, what card are you using in it ?

There are often some memory cards a camera will not work with, some times for good reasons other times for no reason at all.

@kamkar the DDPai Mini 5 uses internal eMMC mostly 64GB, but China has variants with 128GB and maybe more.

I have problem, it only supports iPhone, with android WIFI direct not detected, samsung A71.
Please help

it's plugged in into the cigar lighter plug via usb charger, it turns on by ignition. Right after i hear the startup sound so it's on and a led is changing to blue - wich should be indicate that it's recording as far i know.
But if i check later in the app i can't find the video for the ride.

p
Have you tried to upgrade your camera to a newer firmware? Yours is version 7.0.0.5, mine came with 7.0.0.7. Someone posted 7.0.0.15 in another thread: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mini-5-firmware-request.43895/#post-536583 .

Have you tried to upgrade your camera to a newer firmware? Yours is version 7.0.0.5, mine came with 7.0.0.7. Someone posted 7.0.0.15 in another thread: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mini-5-firmware-request.43895/#post-536583 .
yes, I've upgraded yesterday, but nothing changed. i've also formated the storage just in case.
Also sometimes i experinced, that despite the the running app on the phone with blinking red REC in the top left corner and blue light is on on the device, there was no recording.

I have problem, it only supports iPhone, with android WIFI direct not detected, samsung A71.
Pleas
Please help
Benar oliver..
Aku baru saja beli DDPAI MINI 5 dari toko online sebelah. Dan, hanya bisa dikoneksikan ke iphone. Untungnya, device saya ada dua.

Aku uda capek coba segala cara koneksikan ke android, tetap tidak berhasil. Perangkatku Samsung Galaxy Note 9 versi Android 10.
Aku baru saja beli dan dan mengupdate ke firmware v7.0.015 (terakhir). Dan untungnya semua sesuai spesifikasi dan fitur, kecuali gagalnya konek Wifi ddpai mini 5ku ke Android.
Salam dari sesama Indonesia .

Attachments

• 5D453CA1-5BB5-4121-806A-572F03D02F3F.jpeg
    5D453CA1-5BB5-4121-806A-572F03D02F3F.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 13
After getting my friend in China to lend me their domestic mobile number to register via the China APK, I finally managed to get the 4G bracket "remote cloud" functionality working. The good thing is the bracket seems to work with Band 3/7/8 (1800/2600/900 MHz) based LTE SIM card. The app has integrated SIM plan / quota / reload management if you use the included China Mobile special SIM.

Emergency push video is now enabled. Apparently you get a 2GB cloud storage to use this function with. I've not tried to trigger this action yet. Remote live view is also available, as is app-based checking of camera's GPS location. However, there's no function to view historical track of the vehicle (ie, where did it go yesterday, how fast was it going). There is also a geo-fencing function where you draw a box on the map and if the camera leaves this box you will get an alert. Again, I have not tested it. I need to figure out which car is the best to install + further test these functions on.

Also needs to be tested is how the 4G bracket behaves as the camera enters and exits parking mode recording. If it stays on all the time, I can foresee a big reduction on parking mode battery runtime.

I feel this is fairly exciting for a US$ 150 camera (with hardwire kit). The 4G bracket adds US$ 35 to the cost before you add in whatever it costs for logistics to your country. Take note the firmware has to be flashed to China version before the 4G bracket communicates with the main camera unit.

Screenshot_20210303-142235_DDPai.jpgScreenshot_20210303-142013_DDPai.jpg

Last edited:
It will be difficult to get this LTE bracket in Europe.
I am wondering what is the hardware pinout of the 4G bracket: is it serial or USB connection (or maybe both simultaneously).

PS.
mini5 uses 'SLM750 MeiG 4G LTE module' (USB2.0 interface), Bosch BMI160 Accelerometer/Gyro combo and some cheap Mediatek GPS receiver (wtf did they drop U-Blox ???).

Last edited:
Finally gotten around to removing the Zenfox T3 and making space to test the Mini 5 properly. Hardwire kit in, and I was amazed to see this graph show up in the app. It summarizes how long the parking mode last ran for, and the voltage levels along the way. Here, it also warns that the battery might need to be replaced due to voltage cut-off being frequently triggered.

photo_2021-03-23_18-51-47.jpg

@helg I counted 8 pins on the bracket. I believe the accelerometer and GPS receiver is in the camera main body. Is the GPS module really from MediaTek? Can't tell from FCC photo, looks like Chrontel's logo on the chip.

1616497692288.png

Last edited:
I counted 8 pins on the bracket. I believe the accelerometer and GPS receiver is in the camera main body.
The bracket pins are for a fancy USB host port (VBUS, GND, D+, D-, RESET GPIO, etc ...).
Is the GPS module really from MediaTek? Can't tell from FCC photo, looks like Chrontel's logo on the chip.

Mola N3 uses AIROHA AG3331AV GPS/Beidou receiver (i can post the pictures), which is the cheap variant of MT3333.
The first line below the logo should be "AIROHA", the second one "AG3331A" and the third one for manufacturing info.

@helg Is there a big difference in the performance of AIROHA vs U-blox? Or is it just because U-blox is a known interface and there's some custom programming you'd like to do with it?

I think MediaTek chips in phones have improved a fair bit in the last 5 years, their GPS module should be OK too.

Is there a big difference in the performance of AIROHA vs U-blox?
U-blox is the best consumer-grade and semiprofessional GPS receiver, DDPAI used it in M6+. I can understand the cost cutting in Mola N3,
but mini5 is a top product and could profit from a better GPS receiver, supporting all 4 GNSS.
Bosch BMI160 is used by U-blox for automotive dead reckoning (ADR) feature for navigation in tunnels, so BMI160+AIROHA combo in mini5 is a bit strange.
Or is it just because U-blox is a known interface and there's some custom programming you'd like to do with it?
Both. U-blox is very well documented and can be used for centimeter-level accuracy with an external antenna.
mini5 is a cool Linux gadget with the decent ARM CPU, 512MB RAM, 64GB SSD, 4K camera, wifi/bt, accelerometer/gyro, GPS and 2 external USB connectors,
begging for custom programming like raspberry pi.

Back