Couple questions on the A119 v3 before I purchase

Mio NoVue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read somewhere that suggested the A119 v3 doesn't have these features but I wanted to check...

My current dash cam has a stamp in the bottom corner with the latitude & longitude digits to pinpoint exactly where in the world I am. I read the A119 v3 doesn't have such a thing. Is this correct?

MY current dash cam also emits a beep to signal I'm approaching a speed camera. I can turn the beep off (which I have) but the screen changes in the buildup to show a bit of a count down to me approaching the upcoming speed camera. Again, I read the A119 v3 doesn't have such a feature.

Just checking this is correct or not? I'd be surprised if the first one was correct as I'd have thought GPS pinpointing should surely be pretty standard these days and is an important feature. Still, I probably will go ahead with a purchase anyway as the image quality on its own is good enough vs what I currently have. I just wanted to check on these things first.

The GPS stamp is optional.

It does not know about speed cameras.

As Nigel mentioned before me, the A119 V3 has an optional GPS module. If having the GPS position is important to you, just be sure to include this additional module when you make your purchase.

Regarding the speed cameras, that's absolutely a no-go for the A119 V3, it has no connection to any service where it could possibly know about speed camera locations.

Regarding the speed cameras, that's absolutely a no-go for the A119 V3, it has no connection to any service where it could possibly know about speed camera locations.
cameras that do offer this function don't connect to a service, it's just a database of co-ordinates that trigger a warning when you approach them

The V3 bonus for me is that it displays GPS in decimal format which is what I need. My previous make of dashcam was HMS format and was a pain to have to convert each one when needed.

Sample of mine:

GPS.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification.
Good that it shows GPS stamp. You say module ... that to me sounds like an extra/add-on that bumps the price of the unit, yes?
Shame about the speed camera alerts. Mine is a few years old now so I would've thought the decent ones out these days would have that feature but it's not the end of the world I suppose. Between decent image quality and speed camera alerts, I know which is more important to me.

As you're in the UK I suggest Speedtrap Alert using the PGPSW database for accurate speed cam alerts..

The cost of the GPS mount/module is pretty modest.....$10 USD or so?

Or make sure you get one with the GPS mount included (and CPL filter)

If you would like to get warning of speed cam / red light cam locations, get a high-end radar detector. Some of them offer free location database update on a regular basis. It looks like that it is legal to use radar detector in your country. Some GPS navigation devices also offer these warnings. You may need to pay for a location database subscription.

Do radar detectors work with Gatso/Truvelo/Specs and Hadecs fixed cameras ? These are now the majority devices, especially the Jenoptic average speed cameras that are appearing almost weekly in the UK.

My suggestion, in the UK, is still the Speedtrap Alert phone app.

Do radar detectors work with Gatso/Truvelo/Specs and Hadecs fixed cameras ? These are now the majority devices, especially the Jenoptic average speed cameras that are appearing almost weekly in the UK.

is Waze popular over there?

Does your car have a way of warning of speed cameras? All three of mine do- the 2011 model via an aftermarket Satnav headunit, the others (2016 and 2021) via their in built navigation systems.

PS: Be warned the audio on the later model A119 V3's can be fairly poor in volume and sound quality.

Last edited:
Waze is popular but in my case I have no sensible way of sending the alerts to my car system. STA has a dedicated bluetooth function that works well.

Once I get a new car with Android Auto I will investigate Google Maps and Waze.

I don't think any Detectors are useful in the UK any more, certainly the average speed cameras can't be detected other than by reading the warning signs. So you want a location based alert, and in some counties it needs to have frequent updates since there are a lot of mobile and temporary sites in use that change regularly, but are always published before use.

I don't think any Detectors are useful in the UK any more, certainly the average speed cameras can't be detected other than by reading the warning signs. So you want a location based alert, and in some counties it needs to have frequent updates since there are a lot of mobile and temporary sites in use that change regularly, but are always published before use.
Waze is a better solution as it's dynamic, any of the ones that just use a database end up with heaps of false positives as the mobile cameras keep relocating, my Kenwood head unit has this function, ended up turning it off when there are more false alerts than real ones

The live update we got here on the speedtrap APP, sometimes also not 100% as people seen a trap but then they have to get phone out and then report it a Km down the road.
But it is our only option as 90% of all speed monitoring are done by mobile vans.

The geniuses here now want to mitigate road noise with fixed speed cameras, with the notion that cars speeding make more noise.
I LOL at that and think, lower the MAX noise level from 90 DB to 70 and ban sales of aftermarket exhausts and most important get more cops and DB meters in their cars = problem solved.

I'm a verifier on the PocketGPSWorld site so I have a lifetime access to the weekly updated database. I link this to Speedtrap Alert which is excellent.

You're right about the latest Jenoptic Specs average speed, no radar will spot them. I guess radar is also useless against the latest motorway Hadecs 3 cameras.

And for exactly the reasons Jokiin says, I don't have any mobile sites on my downloaded database as they keep moving and therefore can be anywhere = don't speed.

Back