Best taxi dashcams? Front and rear

waqasahmed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not a taxi driver but my dad is.

He'll eventually be forced to get a hybrid vehicle next year given changes in local government, so this would hold off until then

I've got a Blackvue DR900X-2CH setup with LTE and extra power. I guess the issue that taxi drivers have is not only do the cameras need to see the road ahead, but also to record IN the car, and in addition to that I'm not entirely sure what the law says about that too. I mean, is it that sound should be disabled and they can't record inside? Or is it that you're allowed to record both inside and outside the car with sound?

IMO the best UBER / taxi camera is the viofo A139,,,,,, though i have of course far from tried them all.
But the A139 have 3 cameras, front and rear + a interior camera, so full traffic related coverage + if some clown decide to act up on the back seat.
The interior camera are on a fairly short wire, only a Meter or so, but if the front ( main ) unit are reasonable close to the middle of the windscreen that mean you can put the interior camera anywhere along the top of the windscreen.
Only downside is you can not swivel the interior camera, so if it is installed very offset, like say at the top corner of the windscreen away from the driver, then you need to make something to mount it on ( wedge ) that turn the camera more towards the driver side, even if it is fairly wide angle that much offset would need some help.

A139 camera in my little Suzuki splash car, mounted dead center on the mirror stalk.

I'm not entirely sure what the law says about that too.
You need to check your taxi licence, different authorities have different rules, some say you must record audio, others say your can't!

Agree with Kamkar, best taxi dashcam at the moment is the Viofo A139, although you need to check that it satisfies authorities and any company you are working for. It does have a mute button, not sure what else could cause a problem with the rules. Someone said a short while ago that their license required an exact field of view!

You need to check your taxi licence, different authorities have different rules, some say you must record audio, others say your can't!

Agree with Kamkar, best taxi dashcam at the moment is the Viofo A139, although you need to check that it satisfies authorities and any company you are working for. It does have a mute button, not sure what else could cause a problem with the rules. Someone said a short while ago that their license required an exact field of view!
Oh wow. I'm trying to protect my dad from people on the road, as well as potential passengers and red tape is a ****ter.

Yeah not my favorite color of tape, as a Dane you see that kind of tape too often.
Not sure how it is with dashcams in taxis here, but many of them do have cameras as they have stickers saying that, but probably commercial systems.
I have noticed that many driving instructors have dashcams in their cars.
In general you can videotape to your hearts content here, the problem might arise if you share that footage in public, not that it will make me stop, i will do that under protest when i stand before a judge.
And then after that call the police every time i see wrong doing in the traffic, and then expose their not willingness to do anything about it, as really Danish police can not be bothered much about traffic stuff and other so called minor things.
Even if i have sworn to not give dashcam footage to the police again as they cant really be bothered not even pretty severe stuff, at least not before i bring in the media, but i will expose their lack of willingness and funding / manpower to uphold the law, as i feel thats a pretty big deal in a civilized society.

Oh wow. I'm trying to protect my dad from people on the road, as well as potential passengers and red tape is a ****ter.
It is probably OK, but worth checking for silly rules that you can't ignore, not everywhere is sensible on rules and the license is important.

Have you seen:

and:

In general you can videotape to your hearts content here, the problem might arise if you share that footage in public, not that it will make me stop, i will do that under protest when i stand before a judge.
As a professional, the rules here normally require that you, or your company, register what you are storing with the data registrar and protect it from access by anyone unauthorised. Then you can store almost anything, a minor issue as long as you actually do it.

I dont get why he tout 60FPS on the A139, isent that only with the front camera alone,,,,,, then its not a 3 channel camera

I dont get why he tout 60FPS on the A139, isent that only with the front camera alone,,,,,, then its not a 3 channel camera
60fps is not required for taxi use, better to have longer recordings since you are going to be recording all day. I think he was just pointing out which has the “best” specifications.

It is probably OK, but worth checking for silly rules that you can't ignore, not everywhere is sensible on rules and the license is important.

Have you seen:

and:

Well yeah. I figure that it's always easier to get advice from your local council and if they tell you something that's wrong that's on them.

I've always dealt with them via writing. It's allowed me to call them out on something they're going to go after me for, and I'm like "But you said x" If it ever went to a (civil) court, the courts are very likely to side with you given you've absolutely tried to do the right thing even if that's actually technically wrong, given you had bad advice from the very people making the rules.

Back